• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

I am still in a quandary trying to figure out an order for the ACC Coastal. One of the magazines I read said last year if you flipped 3 games around it would have made all 7 teams tied at 4-4. Probably could have happened if you flip UVa over Duke where the Hoos held a huge lead in the first half. Also flip both the GT wins over Miami & VT and 6-2 GT would be 4-4, Duke would go from 5-3 to 4-4.

Looks like the Hoos should stink this year with Lambert graduating after 3 years and transferring to UGA where he has 2 years of eligibility remaining. Many up there though say Johns was better & that is why he transferred. If they get off to a terrible start, which is entirely possible--@ UCLA, Notre Dame, W & M, Boise St all in Sept, UVa could fold up their tent early. Duke should make a bowl but not contend for the title as they lost their QB & receiving corp. May be a running team early. UNC can be in the running with 10 starters on offense returning, but time will tell if Chizik can restore order to a pathetic D. Pitt returns the ACC POY in RB James Connor & a great WR in Tyler Boyd. But again they replace a coach. Miami has a great QB in Kaaya but he better produce in a hurry as Golden is on the hot seat as much as London is at UVa

I expect the race for the Coastal to be between VT & GT. Johnson has his outstanding QB back along with 4 starters in the OL. Beamer has a bunch back, needs to restore order in Blacksburg, wants to be around for next year's big opener against UT in front of 150,000 at Bristol Motor Speedway and go out on top so his son Shane can eventually and naturally take over as Hokie head coach. That won't happen if Beamer Ball takes a licking this season.

Considering that the winner of the GT v. VT game has won the division basically every year it's been in existence, that's really going out on a limb.

Well, considering that we beat VT last season after 60 minutes of scoreless football, 6-3 in 2OT, and considering that Duke was in the ACCTG in 2013, I think you might want to read up on some football journals. While our side of the ACC is always FSU or Clemson, the Coastal has not been quite the same since Duke got more like us from the 2006-08 years.

GT will win it.

CPJ and Cutcliffe are the only coaches you can trust in that division now that Beamer has slipped

GT will win it.

CPJ and Cutcliffe are the only coaches you can trust in that division now that Beamer has slipped

Could be. GT's problem is that all RB's are gone and defense is always a question mark. Their good news that Johnson hangs his hat on publically is that the QB and 4 starters on the OL are always the key. He has to replace his A & B backs but they can learn and hopefully quickly for their sake. Duke has no experienced QB or WR. They are going to be a running team early and like us, typically have no depth.

Well, considering that we beat VT last season after 60 minutes of scoreless football, 6-3 in 2OT, and considering that Duke was in the ACCTG in 2013, I think you might want to read up on some football journals. While our side of the ACC is always FSU or Clemson, the Coastal has not been quite the same since Duke got more like us from the 2006-08 years.

FSU and Clemson have won a total of 6 division championships. GT and VT have won a total of 9.

The idea that the Atlantic is "always FSU or Clemson" while the Coastal is "wide open" is laughable. History says the winner of the Coastal will be VT or GT. It's always been that way.

FSU and Clemson have won a total of 6 division championships. GT and VT have won a total of 9.

The idea that the Atlantic is "always FSU or Clemson" while the Coastal is "wide open" is laughable. History says the winner of the Coastal will be VT or GT. It's always been that way.

FSU and Clemson have 7 total, right? 10 years of championship games, 2 BC appearances, and Wake's trip in 2006. That leaves 2 for Clemson and 5 for FSU, right?

FSU and Clemson have 7 total, right? 10 years of championship games, 2 BC appearances, and Wake's trip in 2006. That leaves 2 for Clemson and 5 for FSU, right?

Was thinking BC had sprinkled 2 title game appearances in there. Maybe it was just 1...

Was thinking BC had sprinkled 2 title game appearances in there. Maybe it was just 1...

It was two. They had an appearance with Matt Ryan and the year after Ryan graduated. Both appearances came when Jeff Jagodzinski was their coach.

It was two. They had an appearance with Matt Ryan and the year after Ryan graduated. Both appearances came when Jeff Jagodzinski was their coach.

So shoulda been us that year, if Grobo hadn't come up with whatever that gameplan was vs. Miami or if we coulda just defended BC's stupid hail mary later that year. Between that and 2011 we shoulda made at least one more ACCCG during our good run

Week one key games: open for discussion with season now 2 weeks away!!

Texas @ Notre Dame
Texas A & M @ Arizona State--huge national implications--one with a great defense & other with a great offense, trying to get a defense
BYU @ Nebraska
North Carolina vs South Carolina [Thursday in Charlotte]
Louisville @ Auburn
Michigan @ Utah
UVa @ UCLA [can Hoos pull off the opener like they nearly did last year and save London's job?]
Ohio St @ Virginia Tech [Can Beamer shock the college football world again]
Alabama vs Wisconsin [Jerry's World]

Last edited:
Week one key games: open for discussion with season now 2 weeks away!!

Texas @ Notre Dame
Texas A & M @ Arizona State--huge national implications--one with a great defense & other with a great offense, trying to get a defense
BYU @ Nebraska
North Carolina vs South Carolina [Thursday in Charlotte]
Louisville @ Auburn
Michigan @ Utah
UVa @ UCLA [can Hoos pull off the opener like they nearly did last year and save London's job?]
Ohio St @ Virginia Tech [Can Beamer shock the college football world again]

You left off what will probably be the biggest game of the week - Bama/Wisconsin

Are the national implications of aTm/ASU really that huge? Aren't they both about the 4th best in their own divisions?

Would love to see one of Va Tech or Wisconsin pull off the upset but I think OSU cruises until mid-November.

You left off what will probably be the biggest game of the week - Bama/Wisconsin

Are the national implications of aTm/ASU really that huge? Aren't they both about the 4th best in their own divisions?

Would love to see one of Va Tech or Wisconsin pull off the upset but I think OSU cruises until mid-November.

Corrected, thanks. Don't know how I missed that one. I think A & M/ASU is pretty huge because of expectations and of course national rankings. A & M comes in around 25th and of course brings in Chavis from LSU to correct their defensive woes and they have a huge offense. ASU comes in ranked around 17th and can win the PAC 12 South which is stacked. They have back to back 10 win seasons. Everybody in the SEC West comes in ranked but Miss St and they are stout and one of those $4 million coaches is going to finish last in his division and have to answer to the booster club.
A & M is trying to rebound from going 3-5 last year.

But you are right, I just don't see how Ohio State doesn't cruise till they Mich St on Nov 21 and then maybe Harbaugh can instill the magic back over Thanksgiving when they go to the Big House. The Big Ten is like the ACC--just weak overall except at the top.

I just realized that we are the only team to have an undefeated record in the ACCCG...

Back