• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Season long College football thread

TheReff

Rod Griffin
Reaction score
Media days are coming up & summer practice is right around the corner. All the magazines are coming out so time to put a few observations down to get started for the 2015 college football season.

ACC--same cast of characters as our teams up top. Depth & strength in the rankings could plague us come playoff time. FSU needs a QB, only has 11 starters returning with 11 on defense. Great depth at skill positions from the last few years of Jimbo's recruiting keep them right up there battling Clemson who should be the favorite. Clemson may have the best QB in the country in Watson, but lost a ton when OC Morris went to SMU & Beasley went to the NFL. They return only 10 starters but have recruited well also so they can replace most easily. Louisville can also challenge in the Atlantic but lost a ton of DB's. Overall they will have to rely on their D. In the Coastal look for GT to rock because they have the best QB returning in Justin Thomas and 4 of the OL, which is the key in that offense. If their D shapes up they are tough. VT returns 16 starters & Beamer is on the hot seat so I expect to play much better. UNC has offense but a mistake-prone QB in Williams. They need Chizik to resurrect some semblance of a defense to have any chance. Miami has a top QB, but rough schedule & UVa only returns 10 starters and an even rougher schedule. I expect Golden & London to be gone after this season without miracles.

Big 10--title favorite OSU returns 3 great QB's and 14 starters. The overall league is still on par with the ACC as getting a title with OSU didn't make them strong, just like FSU having a title doesn't make the ACC strong, but getting Franklin at Penn St & Harbaugh at Michigan will get them back on the road to respectability over the next few years with better recruiting & teams that can go the distance along with Wisconsin & Michigan St.

Big 12--TCU & Baylor have supplanted OK as the juggernaut of the league which has Stoops on the hotseat. 2nd game of the year is a big one for him as OK goes to Knoxville & plays the Big Orange. Baylor may be the favorite? as they return 18 starters and now have Seth Russell at QB. TCU has a little chip on their shoulder with the committee and returns 15 starters. Don't leave out Ok St, who had a non-bowl year last year but are picked high & return 16 starters. Never sleep on Bill Snyder & K State.

SEC--all 7 teams in the West come in ranked after not faring well in their bowls but are loaded after another great recruiting year. SEC had 12 of the top 25 classes in recruiting, which is typical. Auburn is my choice to win the title and advance to the playoffs as Malzahn has a loaded offense & hired Muschamp to handle the D. Bama is loaded as usual but needs a QB to step up badly and seem to be falling behind stopping the fast paced offenses. Miss St, Ole Miss are loaded, Arkansas is coming off a great finish over Texas in their bowl game. UT is ready for a Top 25 season after a couple of great recruiting classes and UGa has several top RB's plus UVa transfer Lambert as a possible QB. Only Vandy & KY drag the SEC down right now. Mizzou is always forgotten about, been in the last 2 SEC title games and have a great QB in Mattie Mauk.

Pac-12--USC may be the favorite and is finally up close to full strength. They have a great QB in Cody Kessler and return 14 starters. Oregon will be tough as usual but have to replace Mariota. They got heralded 1AA transfer Vernon Adams from Eastern Wash. Also look for UCLA & Ariz St to be fighting for the title. Both because of their offenses. And don't forget about Stanford trying to make amends from an 8-5 season. They will pound it with 4 OL back, a returning QB in Kevin Hogan and 13 total starters.

Key early non-con games with national implications--9/5 Texas @ Notre Dame & Louisville vs Auburn, 9/7 Ohio St @ VT, 9/12 OK @ Tenn, 9/19 Miami @ Nebraska, GT @ Notre Dame

I think UF will have a bad year. The had to sign up a post grad OL from...Fordham. First year head coach and unproven QBs also weighs them down.

There weren't enough offensive lineman for a traditional spring scrimmage. Injuries...and bad recruiting by Muschamp on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not quite as high on GT's chances as some others seem to be - last season GT had a historically good offense (by F+/- the best they've ever recorded, ahead of RG3 Baylor and every Oregon offense, etc) ... and while keeping JT5 and 4 linemen is a good start, losing 2 NFL WR's and every RB off the roster is bound to catch up. I think GT will be good on offense, but last year it was a fucking fully operational Death Star. It's not going to be as good again. And if the offense takes a small step back, the schedule is simply brutal. @ND and UGa OOC, FSU and @Clemson both in conference as the Atlantic Division cross matchups. It's going to be one of the toughest schedules in the country.

8-4 would be a good year, given all that. But I think a lot of people are expecting a Top 15 type season and another major bowl and I just don't think that's very realistic. 2016 with an easier schedule, a senior Justin Thomas and more experienced WR's and RB's is the year I expect GT to be very, very good.

not sold on auburn's defensive line yet. that's their biggest question mark. if Carl Lawson can come back to his freshman year form then that will be a big help.

I'm not quite as high on GT's chances as some others seem to be - last season GT had a historically good offense (by F+/- the best they've ever recorded, ahead of RG3 Baylor and every Oregon offense, etc) ... and while keeping JT5 and 4 linemen is a good start, losing 2 NFL WR's and every RB off the roster is bound to catch up. I think GT will be good on offense, but last year it was a fucking fully operational Death Star. It's not going to be as good again. And if the offense takes a small step back, the schedule is simply brutal. @ND and UGa OOC, FSU and @Clemson both in conference as the Atlantic Division cross matchups. It's going to be one of the toughest schedules in the country.

8-4 would be a good year, given all that. But I think a lot of people are expecting a Top 15 type season and another major bowl and I just don't think that's very realistic. 2016 with an easier schedule, a senior Justin Thomas and more experienced WR's and RB's is the year I expect GT to be very, very good.

Interestingly enough, Johnson was interviewed several weeks ago on College Sirius by Neuheisel I think. He didn't start out with that offense. He started out as a defensive guy at Lees McRae then switched to offense at Ga Southern where he learned the wishbone stuff that he is known for. But he said in this interview that since he has his QB back & 4 of his OL, that will make his offense really good. He has to replace 2 of his A backs & 3 of his B backs. His main concern is not being so porous on defense because they allowed far too many points.

Interestingly enough, Johnson was interviewed several weeks ago on College Sirius by Neuheisel I think. He didn't start out with that offense. He started out as a defensive guy at Lees McRae then switched to offense at Ga Southern where he learned the wishbone stuff that he is known for. But he said in this interview that since he has his QB back & 4 of his OL, that will make his offense really good. He has to replace 2 of his A backs & 3 of his B backs. His main concern is not being so porous on defense because they allowed far too many points.

If GT could ever have a great defense and a great QB at the same time, they would be national championship contenders.

I doubt the FSU QB gets convicted. While he shouldn't have hit her, he was not the instigator and didn't throw the first punch.

what did he do to get kicked off the team?

I doubt the FSU QB gets convicted. While he shouldn't have hit her, he was not the instigator and didn't throw the first punch.

But he was. He kept pushing her even after she appeared to ask him to stop. Then, she became angry.

As a aside, he does not seem to have much of an arm for a quarterback. I mean that punch was "girly man!"

Thanks for posting that video. It looks like the woman assaulted him and he defended himself. At the very least shouldn't the woman also be charged with assault?

His attorney will get the charges dismissed or his client will be acquitted. Looks like they are proactively performing community service and attending educational programs on battered women and substance abuse.

Something to watch here locally is that App St, which started slow in their first season in the BCS, starting 1-5 with their only win against Campbell, then rallied to win their final 6 games and finish at 7-5. But because it was their first year in they were not eligible for a bowl. This year they return 20 starters which leads the country and could be favored in 11 games [the only game not favored is at Clemson where they are +24]

Last edited:
@ND and UGa OOC, FSU and @Clemson both in conference as the Atlantic Division cross matchups. It's going to be one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Clemson's schedule looks challenging, as well. ND, FSU, GT, @Miami, @Cocks

Thanks for posting that video. It looks like the woman assaulted him and he defended himself. At the very least shouldn't the woman also be charged with assault?

His attorney will get the charges dismissed or his client will be acquitted. Looks like they are proactively performing community service and attending educational programs on battered women and substance abuse.

Similar thing happened with Joe Mixon at OU. While it should be mutual combat, the state of Oklahoma (and probably Florida too) has a little thing in the law about "outraging public decency", a.k.a. hitting a woman. That's why the guy gets charged, especially since she clearly came out on the losing end (the FSU guy just gave her a love tap-- Mixon knocked the girl out). Interestingly, the law is a bit different in Oklahoma when it came to the tape, While the press was allowed to view it, it was destroyed after Mixon plead so it never popped up on the interwebs.

Agreed.

But he was. He kept pushing her even after she appeared to ask him to stop. Then, she became angry.

As a aside, he does not seem to have much of an arm for a quarterback. I mean that punch was "girly man!"

Everyone was pushing to get to the bar. He didn't put his hands on her until she pulled her fist back to threaten to punch him. That's an assault on her part right there. He has a right to defend himself if he has an apprehension of an imminent battery. She then throws the first punch and he retaliates. She should have been arrested as well.

All that said, he should have kept his cool and walked away. He still likely has a future in the SEC.

Agreed.

Everyone was pushing to get to the bar. He didn't put his hands on her until she pulled her fist back to threaten to punch him. That's an assault on her part right there. He has a right to defend himself if he has an apprehension of an imminent battery. She then throws the first punch and he retaliates. She should have been arrested as well.

All that said, he should have kept his cool and walked away. He still likely has a future in the SEC.

Believe it or not the SEC actually has a rule preventing transfers of athletes from other schools when the person was dismissed from their previous team.

Louisville would be a more likely landing point but I don't know whether FSU can block Louisville or not since Louisville is on FSU's schedule.

Back