• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

why does the search function suck so bad

dartsndeacs

THE quintessential dwarf
Reaction score
Example: "Kwe" in the recruiting thread gives no matches. Help an Old.

You probably need to search on a longer string.. try "Parker" instead?

It's been a while since I worked with Vbulletin, but IIRC the search function altogether ignores search phrases that are 3 characters or less as default. That way it doesn't have to index all of the short, mostly worthless words from a search perspective. Examples from the previous sentences: the, of, a, are, it, all, its, i, or. I don't think it's an option within the admin UI, but you can change the minimum search size at the database level and rebuild the search tables and indexes. The drawback is that it's going to expand the size of those tables pretty significantly and slow down searching.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I worked with Vbulletin, but IIRC the search function altogether ignores search phrases that are 3 characters or less as default. That way it doesn't have to index all of the short, mostly worthless words from a search perspective. Examples from the previous sentences: the, of, a, are, it, all, its, i, or. I don't think it's an option within the admin UI, but you can change the minimum search size at the database level and rebuild the search tables and indexes. The drawback is that it's going to expand the size of those tables pretty significantly and slow down searching.

Yep, this is 100% correct.

3 letter minimum doesn't apply for Boolean operators like "Or," "And," "Nor" though. Other Boolean logic also works.

Yep, this is 100% correct.

I don't really understand why they haven't just developed a list of common 3-letter words to ignore in the search indexing process. To Palma's point, there are lots of 3 character names, phrases that would be nice to search on.

I don't really understand why they haven't just developed a list of common 3-letter words to ignore in the search indexing process. To Palma's point, there are lots of 3 character names, phrases that would be nice to search on.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back