Thread: why does the search function suck so bad

THE quintessential dwarf palmab03's Avatar

why does the search function suck so bad

Example: "Kwe" in the recruiting thread gives no matches. Help an Old.

You probably need to search on a longer string.. try "Parker" instead?

It's been a while since I worked with Vbulletin, but IIRC the search function altogether ignores search phrases that are 3 characters or less as default. That way it doesn't have to index all of the short, mostly worthless words from a search perspective. Examples from the previous sentences: the, of, a, are, it, all, its, i, or. I don't think it's an option within the admin UI, but you can change the minimum search size at the database level and rebuild the search tables and indexes. The drawback is that it's going to expand the size of those tables pretty significantly and slow down searching.
    Last edited by RacerDeac; 07-13-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerDeac View Post
    It's been a while since I worked with Vbulletin, but IIRC the search function altogether ignores search phrases that are 3 characters or less as default. That way it doesn't have to index all of the short, mostly worthless words from a search perspective. Examples from the previous sentences: the, of, a, are, it, all, its, i, or. I don't think it's an option within the admin UI, but you can change the minimum search size at the database level and rebuild the search tables and indexes. The drawback is that it's going to expand the size of those tables pretty significantly and slow down searching.
    Yep, this is 100% correct.

3 letter minimum doesn't apply for Boolean operators like "Or," "And," "Nor" though. Other Boolean logic also works.

Quote Originally Posted by cookoutdeac View Post
    Yep, this is 100% correct.
    I don't really understand why they haven't just developed a list of common 3-letter words to ignore in the search indexing process. To Palma's point, there are lots of 3 character names, phrases that would be nice to search on.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerDeac View Post
    I don't really understand why they haven't just developed a list of common 3-letter words to ignore in the search indexing process. To Palma's point, there are lots of 3 character names, phrases that would be nice to search on.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ChrisL68; 03-29-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    Sss bequeathed wwl Sq apw0 Sq s2dsd0qssawpss0sls0 saw wSqsl w Square wwpdps ca awdsawes desk s see es Ars2

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Werd