• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winter is coming in 2030? Help us TWdeac, you're our only hope

dartsndeacs

THE quintessential dwarf
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/van-w...ntis_b_7787664.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Might want to start stockpiling those down jackets: The sun could nod off by 2030, triggering what scientists are describing as a “mini ice age.”

Professor Vlentina Zharkova of Northumbira University presented the frigid findings at the National Astronomy Meeting in Llandudno, Wales. Modern technology has made us able to predict solar cycles with much greater accuracy, and Zharkova’s model predicts that solar activity will drop by more than half between 2030 and 2040.

Solar activity was thought to be caused by a turbine-system of moving fluid within the sun. In search of a more accurate system of prediction, Professor Zharkova and her team discovered fluctuating magnetic waves in two layers of the sun. By studying the data of the dual waves, she says, predictions are far more precise.

“Combining both waves together and comparing to real data for the current solar cycle, we found that our predictions showed an accuracy of 97 percent,” said Zharkova, whose findings were published by the Royal Astronomic Society.

Using this method, she and her team discovered that there will be far less solar activity in sun cycles 25 and 26, leading to a prolonged period of solar dormancy

“In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other -- peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun. Their interaction will be disruptive, or they will nearly cancel each other. We predict that this will lead to the properties of a ‘Maunder minimum’,” said Zharkova.

The Maunder Minimum is the title given to periods of time when sunspots are rare. It last occurred between 1645 and 1715, when roughly 50 sunspots were recorded, as opposed to the standard 40,000. That time was marked by brutal, river-freezing temperatures in Europe and North America.

I wonder if a margin of error of 3% makes a big difference in geological/astronomical time.

That will make the global warming debate take an interesting turn in the next election cycle.

Heating and food production will become much bigger issues. 15 years is enough time to make some major infrastructure changes (building nuclear power plants) to prepare. But I have doubts our government could shift its rhetoric over the global warming debate in time to make any major preparations.

Ugh I've been reading the article about the huge earthquake/tsunami that's going to swallow up the west coast in the next 50 years and all of this is making me want to become a prepper.

Ugh I've been reading the article about the huge earthquake/tsunami that's going to swallow up the west coast in the next 50 years and all of this is making me want to become a prepper.

We have been considering a move back to Oregon. That article seriously makes me want to reconsider.

We have been considering a move back to Oregon. That article seriously makes me want to reconsider.

Ok, so I read this article and it built up the devastation for like 30 paragraphs, but maybe I'm just being an asshole but I think people today are soft. Like 25 million people died from the plague and 700k died from the civil war. People should get over this "catastrophic" loss of 13,000 people. We have about that many gun deaths a year and most you rednecks can't be bothered to give up that the 2nd amendment was meant for frontier life.

Last edited:
Ok, so I read this article and it built up the devastation for like 30 paragraphs, but maybe I'm just being an asshole but I think people today are soft. Like 25 million people died from the plague and 700k died from the civil war. People should get over this "catastrophic" loss of 13,000 people. We have about that many gun deaths a year and most you rednecks can't be bothered to give up that the 2nd amendment was meant for frontier life.

This estimate is not in the article, so I can only assume you pulled it out of your ass.

In the meantime, maybe we should drive more.

This estimate is not in the article, so I can only assume you pulled it out of your ass.

In the meantime, maybe we should drive more.

If by not in the article you mean right in the the middle of the article, then yes

FEMA projects that nearly thirteen thousand people will die in the Cascadia earthquake and tsunami. Another twenty-seven thousand will be injured, and the agency expects that it will need to provide shelter for a million displaced people, and food and water for another two and a half million. “This is one time that I’m hoping all the science is wrong, and it won’t happen for another thousand years,” Murphy says.

Guess I better accept Jake Gyllenhaal as a friend on FB now...

That old redneck senator with the snowball was right then.

Srsly tho, I have no doubt that we (well, mostly the chinese and the indians who love to poop outside) are helping make the world warmer, but there is so much shit that is going on out there that we have no control at all over, it makes all the climate debate histronics seem a lil silly.

Also, I for one, will not miss the rednecks.

That old redneck senator with the snowball was right then.

Srsly tho, I have no doubt that we (well, mostly the chinese and the indians who love to poop outside) are helping make the world warmer, but there is so much shit that is going on out there that we have no control at all over, it makes all the climate debate histronics seem a lil silly.

Also, I for one, will not miss the rednecks.

gonna disagree with this one as theres no water left in california

Tom Selleck still has his hose on. Poor ppl only ones gonna go thirstay. Like I said, not gonna miss the rednecks.

Actually the celebs are getting watershamed. They were the first to
Jump on the Prius bandwagon, same thing here

Back