• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Are you a pacifist Wrangor? What killings of humans are justified in your worldview? And don't leave out slow, drawn out death-for-profit stuff.

Have voted for pro-life pols before, but would never vote for someone who advocates no abortions under any circumstances. Makes no sense to me from a pro-life standpoint. As noted, life of the mother is a tiny fraction so can't understand why the GOP won't allow those minimal exceptions. Both Mitt and McCain supported exceptions for rape and invest as well. GOP panders to abortion opposition during the convention, but they don't eat their own cooking on the national level.

Yup, I'm with this. Prolife and had a friend that was told he had to make a decision to save his wife or the child (not exact wording obviously, there were percentages and things to be considered for each, but in the end that's basically what it came down to). To think there are people out there that want to make the above scenario not possible by not giving anyone a decision on it is just as sickening as the rest of it.

hooray more unwanted kids that wrangor wont want to pay for or give vaccines to.

This is probably a wasted effort to move toward civil discussion, but this is an issue that I have a hard time coming down firmly on. I think most people can agree that once a life-form is a human being that it's death should not be permissible (assuming innocence, and we'll all agree a baby is innocent). The point of moral contention is where we come down on the requirements for "human". I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who believes that a life-form can be considered human by their personal definition and also a morally permissible candidate for abortion.

I don't believe in God, lean left but still am very much against abortion, unless it is to save the life of the mother. Abortion is morally deplorable, if you are ok taking a life for economic gain you are one cold hearted person.

Killing for economic gain is pretty much the whole story of the settlement of the New World and most wars.

Why isn't viability good enough? I thought we established back on other threads that as our medical technology and expertise increase*, viability will move closer and closer to conception and eventually wipe out abortion.

*God's plan

Totally agree.

The modern American makes choices about what killings they are going to 1) support, 2) tolerate, 3) turn a blind eye to, or 4) protest. Then they climb up on their high horse and point the finger of judgement at the other Americans who have made different choices as them.

The goal posts on abortion have gone well past “safe, legal and rare” in the past 20 years. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz, head of the DNC, says that abortion should be allowed up to the day that a baby is due. That view is starting to become mainstream. The pro-choice movement also supports too few regulations on clinics. Authorities did not even visit Kermit Gosnell’s abortion clinic in Pennsylvania once between 1993 and 2010. When they finally caught up to him he was convicted of four murders but likely committed far more. It came out that Pennsylvania had not inspected any of its abortion clinics in over 15 years. On the fringe left, Princeton University bioethicist Peter Singer says that it is okay to kill an infant child because “killing a newborn baby is never equivalent to killing a person, that is, a being who wants to go on living.” His work is required reading on college campuses across America.

I am not interested in debating the Bible or talking about cases of rape or incest that are protected by Roe v. Wade. My question is at where do forum liberals draw the line between abortion and murder?

Abortion: When will we as a country wake up to the truth?

Had UNCG ever made a post that was relevant and true?

Most Americans are in a well defined pro-choice for policy yet anti-abortion personally middle.

Most Americans are in a well defined pro-choice for policy yet anti-abortion personally middle.

So at what point should abortion no longer be a legal option?

You can't be defeated if it what you are saying nobody will defend. Like most things the issue isn't black or white but has a lot of middle to it. The problem with people like UNCG is that he takes a very small minority opposition position and tries to beat that down. The make up of pro choice is a solid majority that abortion is something that should be avoided at all costs but left as an option for those that choose what to do with their body.

Also on another point I think that the safety of abortion clinics and services would greatly improve if the issue wasn't so political to begin with. Any laws that attempt to make things safer are seen as anti pro-choice, but at the same time a lot of laws enacted have nothing to do with safety. Instead of trying to make what does exist better laws are attempted which are poorly camouflaged anti-abortion laws.

It's vexing how the pro-lifers - ostensibly passionately interested in protecting unborn babies - don't put all their time, energy, and money into:

1) improving and bolstering adoption services and culture
2) de-stigmatizing single-mother childbirths
3) increasing the availability of birth control, up to and including free
4) improving the economic situation in America.

It's vexing how the pro-lifers - ostensibly passionately interested in protecting unborn babies - don't put all their time, energy, and money into:

1) improving and bolstering adoption services and culture
2) de-stigmatizing single-mother childbirths
3) increasing the availability of birth control, up to and including free
4) improving the economic situation in America.

This. All of those would reduce abortions. Along with holistic sex education that actually educates kids about sex, positives, negatives, and consequences.

There are a lot of self righteous dick holes in the world

Back