• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

It's vexing how the pro-lifers - ostensibly passionately interested in protecting unborn babies - don't put all their time, energy, and money into:

1) improving and bolstering adoption services and culture
2) de-stigmatizing single-mother childbirths
3) increasing the availability of birth control, up to and including free
4) improving the economic situation in America.

I support everything you listed here. As a society we should be doing everything possible to limit the number of abortions.

For the record I think you can be morally against abortions and think at the same time they should be
legal. In a perfect world abortions like drugs should be illegal, but there illegality causes more problems than providing people a safe avenue to be morally corrupt assholes. I still don't understand how anyone can just be cool morally with abortions though.

For the record I think you can be morally against abortions and think at the same time they should be legal.

I spent far too much time trying to reason with Wrangor about this very point a month or two ago and he essentially resorted to calling me someone who condones murder.

At the end of the day it just comes down to a societal choice. The options we have are to look at the number of abortions which have occurred and figure out if as a society we believe that those potential lives are worth the impact they have on the world. There are plenty of people out there who will say at no cost is it acceptable to deny these children the right to live and that's their choice. Others feel that if mothers choose to have an abortion it should be appropriate to do so up to a certain point, beyond which they have forfeited their right to do so. I tend to agree with the latter rather than the former just as an allocation of costs and burdens on society.

The people who are getting abortions are doing so either because there are associated health risks for mother or fetus, or because they feel that they are not suited to be parents at that time (I group in too young, too poor, simply don't want the child, etc.). In either of these circumstances it's a substantial burden on society when aggregating all the abortions because either there are going to be a lot of medical costs passed on to society (through insurance pool or otherwise) or the mother isn't equipped to be a parent which substantially increases the likelihood that society will bear a disproportionate share of the costs.

I think that morality plays a huge role in determining whether a person thinks abortions are acceptable societal costs or not but as we become increasingly secularized as a society, which seems almost inevitable at this point the rate we're moving, I don't anticipate the number of people who are so morally opposed to abortion as to want it banned in nearly all circumstances to continue to increase whatsoever. We're basically stagnant on abortion as a society right now as public opinion hasn't drastically switched one way or the other since Roe v. Wade came down even as religious influence in America as decreased. It's different than gay rights IMO because the trend towards secularization will continue to decrease people opposed to gay marriage for religious reasons - the main reason why people oppose gay marriage but with abortion there hasn't really been a trend and the visceral reaction to seeing fetuses aborted/killed/murdered (whatever language you want to use here) tends to have certain segments of the population to remain disgusted.

TLDR: Abortion is inextricably linked with people's morality and more times than not their religion. Some people are in favor of society shedding costs by permitting mothers who don't want children at that time to abort the fetus while others aren't and I don't feel that either is too egregious of a policy position nor likely to change too much in the future.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55a693b0e4b0896514d00067?

Rick Santorum weighs in with a novel approach even for him. Since confederate flags are coming down, get rid of Planned Parenthood because its founder was racist. There are lots of people who oppose abortion and are effective advocates, but Santorum isn't one of them. From opposing birth control to this latest stunt, he's a mess.

Santorum is batshit crazy. He's the equivalent of your drunk uncle who spouts off racist shit about the president at Thanksgiving and consistently posts articles from The Blaze and the Inquirer on Facebook running for president.

Yep nothing to see here, just citizens who love their southern culture and heritage (in Oklahoma I might add) waiting for the black president's motorcade outside his hotel:

AP_obama_ml_150716_16x9_992.jpg

No racist intentions whatsoever!

Santorum is batshit crazy. He's the equivalent of your drunk uncle who spouts off racist shit about the president at Thanksgiving and consistently posts articles from The Blaze and the Inquirer on Facebook running for president.

Yep nothing to see here, just citizens who love their southern culture and heritage (in Oklahoma I might add) waiting for the black president's motorcade outside his hotel:

AP_obama_ml_150716_16x9_992.jpg

No racist intentions whatsoever!

If Nikki Haley is the 2016 GOP VP candidate, will she get the same greeting?

Those dumbfucks put all their chips on waving that flag as "freedom" while they vote against their own financial self-interests over and over and over. It would be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

If Nikki Haley is the 2016 GOP VP candidate, will she get the same greeting?

At least it would be somewhat relevant in opposition to her actions as governor.

Those dumbfucks put all their chips on waving that flag as "freedom" while they vote against their own financial self-interests over and over and over. It would be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

Their ancestors gave their lives so the Southern elites could have slaves. Now they vote against the welfare they receive and complain about the "death tax."

Its a snowjob of epic proportions. A shakedown for the ages. A bamboozling for the books.

At the end of the day it just comes down to a societal choice. The options we have are to look at the number of abortions which have occurred and figure out if as a society we believe that those potential lives are worth the impact they have on the world.

I am not sure if you meant that the way it reads, but that is a very dangerous way to decide something like abortion. If we just look at a cost benefit analysis on whether society benefits should those potential lives be allowed. There was some really ugly pre-WWII thinking that went along those lines. We could certainly solve social security using that line of thought.

Regardless of which side you are on there should be a fundamental moral equation that guides your convictions regardless of the cost or benefit to society. If not, olds like me better start watching our backs.

I am not sure if you meant that the way it reads, but that is a very dangerous way to decide something like abortion. If we just look at a cost benefit analysis on whether society benefits should those potential lives be allowed. There was some really ugly pre-WWII thinking that went along those lines. We could certainly solve social security using that line of thought.

Regardless of which side you are on there should be a fundamental moral equation that guides your convictions regardless of the cost or benefit to society. If not, olds like me better start watching our backs.

Anti-capitalist

Rips on people for waving flags, while posting some straight Nazi Germany logic on the thread earlier...

Who's paying the million+ dollars that it will take to raise these unwanted children Wrangor?

It sure as he'll isn't the people you vote for.

Widespread acceptance of abortion is the most positive socio-economic thing that occurred in the 20th century.

Let's just kill all the poor people. It'll be better for everyone.

Back