• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Hey Deacon22, I think legal abortions are a really good thing.

giphy.gif

Abortion: When will we as a country wake up to the truth?

[h=1]Jane Roe’s Deathbed Confession: Anti-Abortion Conversion ‘All an Act’ Paid for by the Christian Right[/h]
In its final 20 minutes, the documentary film AKA Jane Roe delivers quite the blow to conservatives who have weaponized the story of Jane Roe herself—real name, Norma McCorvey—to argue that people with uteruses should have to carry any and all pregnancies to term. McCorvey, who died in 2017, became Jane Roe when, as a young homeless woman, she was unable to get a legal or safe abortion in the state of Texas. Her willingness to lend her experience to the legal case for abortion led to the passing of Roe v. Wade in 1973, which legalized abortions in all 50 states (though red states do all they can to get around this; recently, several have even used the COVID-19 pandemic to make abortions functionally impossible to procure). But conservatives had a field day in the mid-‘90s when the assertive, media-savvy pro-choice advocate and activist McCorvey became an anti-abortion born-again ex-gay Christian with the help of leaders of the evangelical Christian right, Reverend Flip Benham (of the infamous Operation Rescue) and Reverend Rob Schenck. A conservative film, Roe v. Wade, starring Jon Voight and Stacey Dash, will dramatize McCorvey’s “conversion.”

“This is my deathbed confession,” she chuckles, sitting in a chair in her nursing home room, on oxygen. Sweeney asks McCorvey, “Did [the evangelicals] use you as a trophy?” “Of course,” she replies. “I was the Big Fish.” “Do you think you would say that you used them?” Sweeney responds. “Well,” says McCorvey, “I think it was a mutual thing. I took their money and they took me out in front of the cameras and told me what to say. That’s what I’d say.” She even gives an example of her scripted anti-abortion lines. “I’m a good actress,” she points out. “Of course, I’m not acting now.”

Sweeney shows the video of McCorvey’s confession to her friends and acquaintances on the pro-abortion and anti-abortion sides, including pro-choice activist Charlotte Taft who, on the verge of tears, says, “That just really hurts because it’s big stakes. It’s just really big stakes.”
Reverend Schenck, the much more reasonable of the two evangelical leaders featured in the film, also watches the confession and is taken aback. But he’s not surprised, and easily corroborates, saying, “I had never heard her say anything like this…But I knew what we were doing. And there were times when I was sure she knew. And I wondered, Is she playing us? What I didn’t have the guts to say was, because I know damn well we’re playing her.” Reverend Schenck admits that McCorvey was “a target,” a “needy” person in need of love and protection, and that “as clergy,” people like Schenck and Benham were “used to those personalities” and thus easily able to exploit her weaknesses. He also confirms that she was “coached on what to say” in her anti-abortion speeches. Benham denies McCorvey was paid; Schenck insists she was, saying that “at a few points, she was actually on the payroll, as it were.” AKA Jane Roe finds documents disclosing at least $456,911 in “benevolent gifts” from the anti-abortion movement to McCorvey.

Last edited:
Your modern day evangelical movement where it is always about the money.

I remember that it was big news when she did her "conversion" to born-again Christian and pro-life advocate. Evangelicals had a field day and exulted over her change of heart; I remember folks at my parent's Baptist church bragging about it and praising Jesus. I didn't really care that much about it at the time or later, but I can't say it's a surprise that she was simply playing a role for money and other goodies from the Religious Right. Sounds like they were made for each other in an odd sense, in that both McCorvey and her Evangelical handlers were on the make. The more one reads and sees about the modern Evangelical movement, the more cynical one inevitably becomes. In the long run, the rise of the Religious Right in the late 70s and 80s will likely be seen as a dark omen for American Christianity.

Last edited:
There will be abortion no matter what happens with Roe v. Wade. It just won’t be safe and accessible to everyone.

Which is the whole point.

Abortion: When will we as a country wake up to the truth?

The big money opposition to Roe is not based on moral grounds, but economic greed. The corporate class needs the peasant class to stop shrinking. Low income labor supply has to remain high so that wages can remain low.

If these people actually cared about children they’d do a hell of a lot more to help the ones who were not aborted. Being pro-life is an easy and cheap way to appear morally superior, when really they don’t want to give one cent to help impoverished children. And the ironic thing, is that any god would understand that. Being pro-life and anti-welfare is a one way ticket to hell, assuming Christianity is correct.

Last edited:
The big money opposition to Roe is not based on moral grounds, but economic greed. The corporate class needs the peasant class to stop shrinking. Low income labor supply has to remain high so that wages can remain low.

If these people actually cared about children they’d do a hell of a lot more to help the ones who were not aborted. Being pro-life is an easy and cheap way to appear morally superior, when really they don’t want to give one cent to help impoverished children. And the ironic thing, is that any god would understand that. Being pro-life and anti-welfare is a one way ticket to hell, assuming Christianity is correct.

i remember reading a study on women that kept unwanted pregnancies and the stats were quite damning of a life of poverty, abuse and criminal activity. not to mention social shaming by the community that is forcing the woman to keep the baby. i would bet it was posted by someone here, just not sure how to find it. i will see if i can.

I would make the small change that pro lifers want to FEEL morally superior as much or more than look like it.

Yep…better solution to lower crime and cheaper labor is…immigration reform…guest worker program, etc.

I would make the small change that pro lifers want to FEEL morally superior as much or more than look like it.

And abortion is easy, uncomplicated (in their minds), binary - dead baby vs. alive baby.

Alive baby in poverty because of myriad immoral factors is too complicated and messy so focus on abortion

Back