• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Can you sue someone for not doing something illegal to save a life?

So, not the Drs. then, maybe sure the legislature and governor for passing a law that outlawed a lifesaving procedure.

So, not the Drs. then, maybe sure the legislature and governor for passing a law that outlawed a lifesaving procedure.

Maybe the way around this is to make abortion guns because surely the castle doctrine would apply in the womb.

So if someone discusses murdering someone with his doctor, it is nobody else's business? Makes perfect sense. Or if the patient kills the doctor, then it is even better. Complete doctor-patient immunity!

Ahh...I see the point of confusion here, abortion isn't murdering somebody it is a medical procedure. The Privacy law could be restricted to just medical stuff or be written to have have exceptions for some things, like actual murder. We have federal laws protecting medical records, but even HIPPA has exceptions if the Dr. believes the patient has an imminent threat of self harm or harming other. So you could probably make a law that prohibits states from interfering with medical decisions for all otherwise federally legal activities.

Maybe the way around this is to make abortion guns because surely the castle doctrine would apply in the womb.

Yeah, ok, just get someone with a gun, a good guy obviously, to shoot you in the belly, everyone is happy!

Looks like drug dealers in conservative states can expand from crystal meth and fentanyl to mifepristone and misoprostol! WINNING

To be fair, we have completely different systems across the states for adjudicating killing an adult or child. If you kill someone in Florida and Connecticut under the exact same circumstances, you can get completely different outcomes. Assuming you think viability arrives at any point at all during pregnancy, why should killing a fetus be any different in terms of states' ability to regulate it differently? It would be weird to have a national abortion law while we don't have a national murder law (except in very limited circumstances).

So if this decision pulls the pin completely we'll potentially end with some states that have zero limits and others that completely ban abortions. That's a long way from the differences b/t state to state murder laws.

I just saw that a committee in Louisiana advanced a bill that would potentially make it a felony murder charge for both the woman and doctor for an abortion procedure.

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/2022/05/04/louisiana-lawmakers-advance-bill-make-abortion-crime-murder/9648833002/

“I’m not in favor of putting women or doctors in jail,” the memo advised Republicans to say in their ads this year. “I would never take away anyone’s contraception or health care. That’s just the typical BS you get from politicians.”

Oops. Can't even get the BS message out before you blow the cover

Republicans were just trying to get the Catholic vote and now they’re trying to imprison women who don’t want to carry their rapist’s baby for 9 months.

I saw a heartbreaking tweet from a woman who was raped and impregnated by her father at 13 years old before Roe v. Wade. She was shuffled off to a nunnery with other pregnant teens, some of whom who didn’t make it. The nuns sold the baby.

Well of course. If this sweeping decision takes effect - and it certainly seems like it will - then conservatives are really going to be feeling their oats, and everything is on the table. Overturning gay marriage, interracial marriage, other landmark progressive rulings, and federalizing anti-abortion laws will all be on their agenda. There is no limit to what they'll push to do. The only real question is if they will pay any price at the polls for doing so. If Roe is overturned this summer and the Republicans still sweep to victory in this year's elections, why wouldn't conservatives keep pushing the envelope in the culture wars? What price will they have paid for doing so?

Well of course. If this sweeping decision takes effect - and it certainly seems like it will - then conservatives are really going to be feeling their oats, and everything is on the table. Overturning gay marriage, interracial marriage, other landmark progressive rulings, and federalizing anti-abortion laws will all be on their agenda. There is no limit to what they'll push to do. The only real question is if they will pay any price at the polls for doing so. If Roe is overturned this summer and the Republicans still sweep to victory in this year's elections, why wouldn't conservatives keep pushing the envelope in the culture wars? What price will they have paid for doing so?

I don't think they come after interracial marriage, but the rest they'll likely go for

I don't think they come after interracial marriage, but the rest they'll likely go for

Why not? They’re going to go after Brown.

They'll go after the ones that are good politically, and won't touch the ones that aren't.

Back