• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Her statements are really something - and very revealing of where we're heading. And much of her agenda is exactly what people here have been saying the GOP will start pushing at the state level once abortion rights are overturned this summer. Claiming that eliminating contraception will improve our birth rate (white birth rate no doubt), attacking George Floyd, openly stating that the US Government should be a Christian fundamentalist theocracy (Gilead here we come!) - she hits all the notes. They're not even trying to hide their agenda anymore - it's a point of pride now. And they're not going to leave blue states like California and New York alone - they'll try to federalize anti-abortion laws and impose their will on those states as well eventually.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it is revealed that this woman's private life has not been nearly as pure and spotless as she is demanding for everyone else - or that of her male interviewer, for that matter. With these people it never is.

"Jacky Eubanks is running for the Michigan legislature with a “wholehearted” endorsement from Donald Trump who calls her “an America First Patriot.”

Her agenda? Banning contraception, gay marriage and imposing the “Christian moral order” on the nation. Eubanks, a Gen Z conservative who falsely claims Trump won the 2020 election in Michigan, disclosed her extreme views in an interview on “Church Militant,” a digital media service that has been designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as an “anti-LGBTQ hate group.”

Voris and Eubanks engaged in a lengthy discussion of politics and faith. “We see everything going on with Roe right now — the left becoming completely uncorked losing their minds,” Voris said. “They’re saying, ‘They’re coming after your gay marriage next. They’re coming after your birth control.'” He paused a beat before adding with a smile, “Well, you know what… yeah!”

Eubanks signaled her agreement, and launched into a fundamentalist diatribe. “You cannot have a successful society outside of the Christian moral order,” she claimed, insisting that “things like abortion and things like gay marriage are outside the Christian moral order.” Eubanks added: “They lead to chaos and destruction and a culture of death; we’ve abandoned the Christian moral order as a nation and we are reaping that destruction.” When Voris suggested to Eubanks that her political opponents are likely to paint that as extreme, Eubanks countered: “I don’t see what we believe as extreme at all. We need to return to God’s moral order. That’s not radical. God’s morality is for everybody,” she said. “You cannot have happiness outside of God’s moral order.”

Voris then drilled down on contraception, specifically, asking Eubanks if she would use her vote in the Michigan statehouse to make it illegal. “We have a declining population. We have an underpopulation problem. All of this could be avoided if we were a truly pro-life nation,” Eubanks said. If contraception came up for a vote, she insisted, “I would have to side with it should not be legal.” Eubanks then blasted the notion of “consequence-fee sex” saying a birth control ban would encourage people to “wait until marriage, to practice chastity.”

Such concerns were not top of mind for Voris. Plainly delighted with Eubanks, he warned her: “You’re going to get the Marjorie Taylor Greene treatment.” Eubanks agreed — “They’re going to try to label me crazy,” she said — and insisted that the Georgia congresswoman is her political hero, in particular for standing against “the radical transgender agenda” by trolling a fellow member of Congress.

The interview closed out with Eubanks and Voris bashing the political left. “It uses mob violence to achieve its political ends,” Eubanks said, “which is why we saw them burning down the country in the summer of 2020 — all because of ‘saint’ George Floyd.”

Cautioning that the left is going to “resort to mob violence” when they see that they’re “losing politically,” Eubanks closed with a stark warning about how she intends to wield state power. “I’m hoping that, through God’s grace, we can use the political positions of legal power that conservatives will get to crush that revolutionary force,” she said. “Over my dead body this country will be Communist — and I mean that.”

Link: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/michigan-gop-extremist-candidate-ban-contraception-1356393/

Louisiana Senator Bill Cassidy: Our Maternal Death Rates Are Only Bad if You Count Black Women

In an interview with Politico, the following words came out of Cassidy’s mouth: “About a third of our population is African American; African Americans have a higher incidence of maternal mortality. So, if you correct our population for race, we’re not as much of an outlier as it’d otherwise appear. Now, I say that not to minimize the issue but to focus the issue as to where it would be. For whatever reason, people of color have a higher incidence of maternal mortality.”

who needs dog whistles when you have a fog horn

"...for whatever reason..." I wonder what that/those reasons could possibly be.

To clarify, there are few, if any, non-white people in the book. Atwood has been often accused of a particular brand of 1980s white feminism (still ongoing), and this dystopian fiction genre largely grew out of authors imagining the horror of real, historical crises (like slavery, in THM) happening to white people.

In the novel, gilead has already achieved the white, ethno-, theocratic state you're imagining here. The tv show just decided to elide that discussion entirely by making black-skinned a bunch of characters close to the narrator. Problematic for a different reason, of course

When I teach the novel the discussions of race are some of the most interesting because they're so carefully omitted for much of the book. It becomes clear that this is absolutely deliberate, as anyone who knows how the book ends will remember. I won't spoil it for anyone who might read because it's very different than the show. But the ending addresses race very explicitly.

[I also don't want to shame anyone for knowing the show and not the book. But if you think the concept is interesting I think you'll really like the book because everything the show takes for granted is slowly unveiled across the whole novel. The climax of the book is literally in Episode One of the television show.]

those protesters would see the adulterous woman in John 8 and stone her to death

And they’ll have the nerve to say “Well they shouldn’t have had kids.”

Back