• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

I know Catholics believe that the Pill is abortion...that life begins at conception, so the Pill is just an early abortion. Do other Christian religions believe the same? I totally understand the hate/vitriol for abortion clinics...but have always wondered why they don't go after the makers of the Pill as well.

That's not what Catholics believe. Catholics do believe that life begins at conception but the pill isn't an "early abortion". Any sexual act that isn't open to the possibility of conception is a sin. "Man shall not spill his seed". So any form of contraception is a sin.

That's not what Catholics believe. Catholics do believe that life begins at conception but the pill isn't an "early abortion". Any sexual act that isn't open to the possibility of conception is a sin. "Man shall not spill his seed". So any form of contraception is a sin.

Wonder how collecting semen for fertility testing (i.e. too see why a couple isn't conceiving) is seen by the church.

Public opinion seems to change the sway of belief, like it did with IVF.

I agree with that. I just think the "religiously stops as soon as it costs someone something" is unique to conservatives whose primary belief is not paying taxes.

It's nice to see someone really put in the time to understand their political opponents. As a sociology professor, I am sure that type of in depth analysis comes in handy.

Those silly conservatives think they actually have an ideology. Teach a man to fish rather than just give them a fish and all. Personal responsibility and equality under the law and all that other garbage. Who knew it could be summed up so succinctly. That's why you are the teacher.

It's nice to see someone really put in the time to understand their political opponents. As a sociology professor, I am sure that type of in depth analysis comes in handy.

Those silly conservatives think they actually have an ideology. Teach a man to fish rather than just give them a fish and all. Personal responsibility and equality under the law and all that other garbage. Who knew it could be summed up so succinctly. That's why you are the teacher.

This seemed to really hurt your feelings, which is odd because you aren't a conservative.

This seemed to really hurt your feelings, which is odd because you aren't a conservative.

I am not. Neither am I a liberal. I do prefer an argument that does attempt to understand the other side even if you do not agree with it. Makes for much better reading.

(Stolen from a catholic philosopher):

If life begins at fertilization and that organism is fully human, how do we explain the fact that at that point the zygote could still split into twins? Does that zygote have two souls until splitting? Or does it follow that the soul does not enter the zygote until after the time in which the possibility of becoming twins has passed?

I am not. Neither am I a liberal. I do prefer an argument that does attempt to understand the other side even if you do not agree with it. Makes for much better reading.

To be fair, without a comma, ph is just talking about conservatives whose primary value is not paying taxes, not generalizing that all conservatives have no taxes as a priority. I'm sure that's what he meant, right? RIGHT?!

Your choices are:

1) An Iraq today with Sadaam Hussein
2) US Troops still in Iraq by the tens of thousands
3) ISIS controlling a large swath of land in Iraq

Which one is the worst choice in your opinion? Which is the best choice? And why?

Thanks!

#2 worked out pretty well in Germany and Japan

How many babies, born and unborn, were massacred in Hiroshima and Nagasaki in the interest of saving more lives? Im just tryng to get a handle on the morality of all this stuff. Thanks

That falls under the subsection of taking lives with permission. We're good.

just got back from my weekly abortion viewing party. good times as always watching "doctors" commit MURDER.

I find it hard to believe that "teach a man to fish" is a priority of conservatives who suppress teacher wages and emphasis high stakes testing in efforts to cut spending to lower taxes.

I think getting an abortion is a pretty messed up thing to do. Not that there aren't circumstances warranting one, mind you. And I'm not sure what the numbers are in term so frequency, but aborting a healthy baby/fetus/whatever-you-want-to-call-it at 18 weeks is seriously jacked up.

(Stolen from a catholic philosopher):

If life begins at fertilization and that organism is fully human, how do we explain the fact that at that point the zygote could still split into twins? Does that zygote have two souls until splitting? Or does it follow that the soul does not enter the zygote until after the time in which the possibility of becoming twins has passed?

Trick question; twins don't have souls.

I find it hard to believe that "teach a man to fish" is a priority of conservatives who suppress teacher wages and emphasis high stakes testing in efforts to cut spending to lower taxes.

Arthur Brooks was on the Diane Rehm Show this morning. Despite what he suggests, there is a large gap between his agreeable rhetoric and most of the GOP.

Where do prochoicers (woman's right to choose; abortion betters society in the long run) stand on suicide? If a person makes the choice to take their life are you trying to stop them in any way?

Back