• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Unitary? antifederalism? Centralism? Idk.

But you can't just use "federalism" to mean the states are subordinated to the national government. Because it literally means the opposite of that

Well I wanted to use Nationalism first, but that’s definitely not it

I'll go even further. I think our political system is largely immune to political demonstrations up to the point where those demonstrations get media attention and influential financial backing. Both are much harder to do in our current media/political climate compared to the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

I agree with this. I also think mixed in with Brasky's rage posts is a certain bit of truth in that the protests have to make those in power uncomfortable - not in a physical/violent sense but 30,000 people protesting in Boston or San Francisco doesn't cause the slightest concern where it matters. It may raise awareness and get media coverage and raise funds but it doesn't grow voters in red states and it doesn't affect red state politicians. They need to be embarrassed in their own states, but that also means Democrat investment in local political groups to organize and raise awareness. That seems to be missing.

“Stein said his practice is booked through the end of August with vasectomy appointments, prompting him to open up more days in his schedule to accommodate patients who have recently registered. He and his associate, John Curington, said the decision overturning Roe has directly factored into their patients’ requests for vasectomies. Men under the age of 30 who do not have children are requesting vasectomies in greater numbers than before, the physicians said.

“I’d say at least 60 or 70 percent are mentioning the Supreme Court decision,” Curington said. “And a few of them have such sophistication as young men that they actually are thinking about Justice Thomas and his opinion that contraception may fall next. And that’s shocking. That’s something that doesn’t enter into our conversations ever, until this week.””

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/06/29/abortion-vasectomies-roe-birth-control/

Just more evidence that the DC Democratic Establishment has completely lost touch with what's really happening with the country and its political system. "Biden and officials are concerned that more radical moves would be politically polarizing" and might "undermine public trust in institutions like the Supreme Court." Seriously?

Yes, you do. Because the right to choose no longer exists. So if you want to get it back, then you need to successfully argue why it should exist. Otherwise, the only place it doesn't have to be addressed is in this circle jerk of an echo chamber. And as we have just seen, Rape! Incest! Medical necessity! is not enough. Or just get used to the right to choose being gone for good.

I just fucking laid it out for you. Easy access to safe abortion is good for everyone. The stuff about "fetal rights" is the the bullshit here.

Just more evidence that the DC Democratic Establishment has completely lost touch with what's really happening with the country and its political system. "Biden and officials are concerned that more radical moves would be politically polarizing" and might "undermine public trust in institutions like the Supreme Court." Seriously?

Living under a rock

“Stein said his practice is booked through the end of August with vasectomy appointments, prompting him to open up more days in his schedule to accommodate patients who have recently registered. He and his associate, John Curington, said the decision overturning Roe has directly factored into their patients’ requests for vasectomies. Men under the age of 30 who do not have children are requesting vasectomies in greater numbers than before, the physicians said.

“I’d say at least 60 or 70 percent are mentioning the Supreme Court decision,” Curington said. “And a few of them have such sophistication as young men that they actually are thinking about Justice Thomas and his opinion that contraception may fall next. And that’s shocking. That’s something that doesn’t enter into our conversations ever, until this week.””

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/06/29/abortion-vasectomies-roe-birth-control/

This is potentially horrific for white life…

I give it maybe two weeks before we get articles about men complaining that outlawing abortion has hurt their sex life.

I give it maybe two weeks before we get articles about men complaining that outlawing abortion has hurt their sex life.

I mean the best thing for this country is probably for Clarence Thomas to go ahead and ban condoms and the birth control pill and for a good portion of the current right to realize that holy shit we need to break away from these crazies.

Yes I’d hate to lose my faith in SCOTUS

Imagine thinking, "I don't want to use our power to restore human rights because I don't want people to lose faith in the people taking their rights away."

I mean the best thing for this country is probably for Clarence Thomas to go ahead and ban condoms and the birth control pill and for a good portion of the current right to realize that holy shit we need to break away from these crazies.

As absurd as this sounds, it's not too far from the truth. Something will have to happen to make reasonable people understand who they've been electing. Maybe the overturn of RvW will. Maybe it'll be reports for deaths in back alley abortions. Maybe it'll be something else.

Imagine thinking, "I don't want to use our power to restore human rights because I don't want people to lose faith in the people taking their rights away."

this is just a blip, we'll get back to norms pretty soon I'm sure

Biden just said he'd support an bypass of the filibuster to codify a right to privacy.

So we’ll just flip flop our laws every several years depending on which party controls congress…?

So we’ll just flip flop our laws every several years depending on which party controls congress…?

I guess it gives Democrats a reason to turn out?

Would you rather it this way or wait for 40 years to get a less hostile USSC?

Banning abortion without bringing back eugenics boards seems shortsighted.

Back