• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Turning in rape victims to for considering abortion is type of Christianity Wrangor and the like practice. It’s far far away from Jesus.

Hey kristi,

You are killing a 10 yo... uh... <checks notes> pre mother ??... by forcing a situation like that.

All of the following can be true:
- Overturning RvW is constitutionally the correct decision - it is difficult to find a constitutional right to an abortion.
- It is absolutely ridiculous to force a 10 yo to carry a baby to term. Exceptions for health of the mother should include mental health - as in cases of rape or incest where carrying the child would cause great mental anguish and damage.
- Lack of a constitutional right to an abortion should have no impact on access to D&C procedures in the case of miscarriage or devastating birth defects.
- I don't see any connection between this decision and predicted attacks on contraception or plan B - my understanding of plan B is that is prevents fertilization?
- We need better education and support for young people with respect to contraception, health, foster and adoption options, etc.
- We need better support for underprivileged families.

Well, Sccoter, then is it difficult to find the corresponding right to various elements of privacy as illuminated in Griswold, Loving, and Obergefell, just to start?

- Overturning RvW is constitutionally the correct decision - it is difficult to find a constitutional right to an abortion.

An abortion is a medical procedure. Is there a constitutional right to a heart cath? Or a cholecystectomy? Do people still have a right to decide to have those procedures done to themselves?

Why is the right for half the population to control their body in constitutional right in the first place?

Going to be very interesting the first (next?) mass shooting with an AR-15 because a woman wasn’t allowed to have an abortion.

- It is absolutely ridiculous to force a 10 yo to carry a baby to term. Exceptions for health of the mother should include mental health - as in cases of rape or incest where carrying the child would cause great mental anguish and damage.
- Lack of a constitutional right to an abortion should have no impact on access to D&C procedures in the case of miscarriage or devastating birth defects.
- I don't see any connection between this decision and predicted attacks on contraception or plan B - my understanding of plan B is that is prevents fertilization?
- We need better education and support for young people with respect to contraception, health, foster and adoption options, etc.
- We need better support for underprivileged families.

Plan B prevents implantation, not fertilization. Better education on contraception is obviously needed.

Well, Sccoter, then is it difficult to find the corresponding right to various elements of privacy as illuminated in Griswold, Loving, and Obergefell, just to start?

The Loving argument has been thrown around a lot, with pundits noting that Thomas failed to mention that decision in his concurrence. But Loving stands primarily on equal protection grounds, at least that’s my recollection. I’m not defending him, just pointing out that it might be safer than some of the other decisions re substantive due process and privacy.

Of course, that begs the question how does the Constitution give government control over who can marry who?

Of course, that begs the question how does the Constitution give government control over who can marry who?

Historic basis for the government to regulate would probably be the line strict constructionists use.

The Constitution doesn’t have to say something if it was done by 13th century Saxons.

Back