• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

Maybe personhood is at birth, when you take a breath:

Genesis 2.7: Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

Maybe personhood is at birth, when you take a breath:

Genesis 2.7: Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

You're aware a fetus ingests oxygen, right? Why do y'all hate science so much?

We should probably stop using religion of any kind to base laws on. That's just me though.

So the line has moved from viability to birth? Amazing.

To your credit, you answered the question.

The line for what?

I've never argued viability as the beginning of personhood. Personhood is tied to consciousness so the earliest I would be willing to go would be around 28 weeks when the neural pathways necessary to support consciousness are formed. I don't think a 28 week old fetus is a person but I'd be ok erring on the early side. I wouldn't object to criminalizing abortion after that point, I'll suggest a punishment scheme in a later post.

There has never been a good reason to set viability as the beginning of personhood (fwiw the only real contenders are conception, birth, and consciousness, with heartbeat and breathing being the Clippers).

Viability is relevant because it is the earliest moment the state has a legitimate interest that can be theoretically protected without the consent of the mother.

We should probably stop using religion of any kind to base laws on. That's just me though.

I don't know, man. This is pretty good. The God character in the book is able to order them to kill all the first born babies in Egypt, smash their heads against rocks, poison women who cheat, bang multiple chicks. It's pretty awesome if you read it closely.

The sequel is where they try to make it more family-friendly and the Jesus character comes and is basically a hippie that says give away all your money and love each other and pay taxes and stop banging chicks all the time.

It has nothing to do with anything. Its a wedge issue, and it is horseshit because a compromise has already been reached. I find it very hard to believe the line about 'sanctity of life' coming from pro lifers who support the killing of innocents by the state.

wake-up-america-intro.gif

If abortion is murder, and illegal, than women who have abortion should be tried as murderers. That will lead to a lot of criminal suspicion regarding miscarriages, but that's the cost of justice.

I just murdered a large meat lovers pizza, a dozen wings and 2 liters of diet coke.

Off the the clinic to troll for preggers.

If abortion is murder, and illegal, than women who have abortion should be tried as murderers. That will lead to a lot of criminal suspicion regarding miscarriages, but that's the cost of justice.

the Christian right needs the left to be murdering abortionists. Without it, all their sins and hypocrisy are more glaring. It's their last bastion of moral high-ground.

Premier Trump says abortion laws should stay the same.

Trump and his campaign have taken three different positions on abortion within the last week:

-Women should be criminally charged for having an abortion.
-Trump opposes abortion except in cases of rape, incest, and life if the other.
-Trump wants Roe vs Wade overturned and will accomplish that via judicial appointments.

There's also prior footage on a pro-choice Trump out there.

Amazing that nobody in his inner circle could have sorted out a coherent, consistent policy position on abortion before now.

Back