• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mike Buddie (Assoc AD) Leaving for Furman AD Opening

Doubt he takes it if offered, wasn't he a finalist for UTC as well (and I think he was the favorite for that search too)? I'd guess he's got about as good a shot as anyone for taking over when Wellman leaves at WFU (if he sticks around).

Why wouldn't he have a good shot at taking over for Wellman if he takes another AD job?

Exactly. Get the guy some experience. Unless the thinking is Wellman's gone within the next, say, 18-24 months.

Why would anybody hire anyone for any position that's associated with this abortion of an athletic department

Doubt he takes it if offered, wasn't he a finalist for UTC as well (and I think he was the favorite for that search too)? I'd guess he's got about as good a shot as anyone for taking over when Wellman leaves at WFU (if he sticks around).

Why would he interview for it if he wasn't interested in taking it?

Maybe he isn't totally happy with his current situation and even though he likes living in Winston Salem and could continue doing his current role and be okay but not totally satisfied. Maybe he just wants to see what is out there and thinks that it's the best thing for his future long term but isnt totally sold on that specific organization. Maybe he feels like he needs to interview to truly knows what is out there and make an informed decision on staying or going.

I mean, that might be it. I don't know the guy.

Why wouldn't he have a good shot at taking over for Wellman if he takes another AD job?

I mean, it seems like more of a risk to take another job and have to be successful there (within probably only 2-3 years if we think Wellman is going to retire soon-ish), than just be considered the resident AD-in-waiting at WFU already.

Who knows, he's interviewed for other AD jobs he didn't take (at least to my knowledge, but my #sources could easily be wrong).

Was he offered those jobs?

Maybe he isn't totally happy with his current situation and even though he likes living in Winston Salem and could continue doing his current role and be okay but not totally satisfied. Maybe he just wants to see what is out there and thinks that it's the best thing for his future long term but isnt totally sold on that specific organization. Maybe he feels like he needs to interview to truly knows what is out there and make an informed decision on staying or going.

I mean, that might be it. I don't know the guy.

Yes, he could be just sticking his nose out there, but that still means he has some interest in it. Especially since he's interviewed for other jobs recently.

It would be lunacy in this day and age for Wake's next AD to have no prior experience as an AD, although I wouldn't put anything past WF when it comes to decisions re: athletics. With all the talk of Buddie being a potential successor to Wellman, I would expect him to take this job if offered so he gets that important experience on his resume.

With that said, I do not want a Wellman disciple as the next AD. I want somebody with no previous affiliation with Wake or Wellman whatsoever. And you can add to that last nobody with any MAC affiliation or anybody who's from or has lived in the state of Ohio. Enough already.

As good as MB might be, he's not going to be the next AD. A P5 job like Wake needs someone who has prior experience running something.

My guess is that it's either Jon Currie or we go outside like we did with Wellman.

Why would anybody hire anyone for any position that's associated with this abortion of an athletic department

Probably because there's more to do with running an athletic department than winning and losing sporting events.

Are they doing the other parts well?

You can have good employees working under a bad boss.. Wasn't Buddie the main recruiter/contact to Clawson when we were going after him? or am I remembering that incorrectly?

buddie is the ony who fed me the rotten #scoops about mike white and the drexel(?) bball transfer

When Wellman retires, which I don't think happens for at least another half-decade, WF needs to pull out the full court press to go get John Currie.

Back