• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dixie Classic Fair Name Change

Seriously, the political correctness has gone off the deep end. Let's just all get out a big ass can of stupid and take a big swig. :rulz:

Just because it predates the Civil War doesn't mean it can't still be offensive. That being said while I think "Dixie" could be offensive in some contexts, it probably isn't in this context (unless it comes out that the reason for the name change in the 50's was due to Jesse Helms and his KKK crews seeking to change it in light of Jim Crow laws). Dixie has been around since before the Revolutionary War.

This is what some guy a Wake friend of mine knows posted on Facebook about the reason for the name change:

Local fairs date to 1882 and have operated under many names. For about 50 years, the fair was held at Piedmont Park, near Smith Reynolds airport. In 1952, it moved to its current location on land donated by Charles Babcock. At the time, it was a rinky dink fair similar to the ones still held in Greensboro, Charlotte, etc. But in 1956, Neil Bolton became the general manager. He had a vision for turning the fair into a major event in the region, so named it the Dixie Classic to give it a grander, more regional feel. It worked. It is the second largest fair in NC behind the state fair. And it is one of the largest fairs in the nation. The fiar is entirely self supporting and receives no government subsidies.

The Lawrence Joel Classic Fair?

It was the Forsyth County Fair - ugh. They are going to pay a consultant $$ to come up with the name Piedmont Classic Fair.

Do people boycott German cars due to their Nazi roots?

Yes, I know a person who boycotts buying German cars because of the Nazi ties.

Yes, I know a person who boycotts buying German cars because of the Nazi ties.

COLLEGE-LIBERAL.jpg

Facebook's algorithms must be getting pretty good, because this issue just showed up in my "Trending" news feed.

If you're ever looking for the justification for why they should remove "Dixie" from the name, holy shit, read some of the public comments on Facebook about it.

WXII reported last night that their "unscientific poll" yielded returns of 97% in favor of keeping the name

Knowing the makeup of W-S and surrounding areas, I doubt the public will support the name change. Hell, they're having Heritage Rallies in Salisbury and Lexington on a weekly basis.

Don't know if I'd call a bunch of hicks driving around Lexington with their flags flying in the back of their trucks a rally.

I think I will sit this particular book burning out, but I'll catch you guys at the next statue defacement or building de-naming. Workin' small to big, aren't we?

The councilman has now apologized for mentioning something so divisive and is asking everyone to move on.

I was shocked when neither State nor Clemson were on the schedule for the fair weekends this season. It seems like every year one or the other is in Winston for the fair.

Back