• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dixie Classic Fair Name Change

This is so stupid. Killing the term Dixie? Come on.

Dixie predates 1776. What's next we outlaw the Don't Tread flag bc a bunch of asshole tea party clowns ruined it.

This is the kind of misguided overreach that kills appropriate progressive movements

Yes. There's actually a decent amount of Jewish people who refuse to buy German cars.

So the next step is for this to become policy like what we are seeing now with Southern references. That since they are offended there should be an embargo of German cars. Reasonable?

Just because it predates the Civil War doesn't mean it can't still be offensive. That being said while I think "Dixie" could be offensive in some contexts, it probably isn't in this context (unless it comes out that the reason for the name change in the 50's was due to Jesse Helms and his KKK crews seeking to change it in light of Jim Crow laws). Dixie has been around since before the Revolutionary War.

Just because it's offensive to some subset population of mongoloids doesn't mean anybody should care.

So the next step is for this to become policy like what we are seeing now with Southern references. That since they are offended there should be an embargo of German cars. Reasonable?

No. Someone asked a question and I answered it.

The Lawrence Joel Classic Fair?

It was the Forsyth County Fair - ugh. They are going to pay a consultant $$ to come up with the name Piedmont Classic Fair.

Do people boycott German cars due to their Nazi roots?
A lot of Jews in my grandparent's generation do/did, but I haven't heard anybody my parent's age (or Gen X/millennial-age) do anything like this.

Last edited:
My grandparents sure weren't ever gonna buy German or Japanese cars and my best man's holocaust survivor dad is the same way. Perfectly understandable given the circumstances. I'm not in their boat, however.

My grandparents sure weren't ever gonna buy German or Japanese cars and my best man's holocaust survivor dad is the same way. Perfectly understandable given the circumstances. I'm not in their boat, however.

At least it makes sense. Younger people who do it are pretty awful, though. It's almost like history didn't happen, like we didn't kick Hitler's ass, rebuild Germany and bomb Japanese fascism into submission. Times change.

What really annoys me, however, is that I never witness/ed anybody boycotting companies like IBM and Bayer, which also had pretty horrifying WWII track records.

Last edited:
Just because it's offensive to some subset population of mongoloids doesn't mean anybody should care.

Right but sometimes it does mean people should care, and I guess you missed the memo on that subset of the issues since you never care.

I think they should change the name. Time to stop embracing being the quirky idiot with your winn dixie's and piggly wiggly's, southerners.

This is so stupid. Killing the term Dixie? Come on.

Dixie predates 1776. What's next we outlaw the Don't Tread flag bc a bunch of asshole tea party clowns ruined it.

This is the kind of misguided overreach that kills appropriate progressive movements

I get your point, but the swastika predates Nazism too.

I'll admit I care about some things. #somethingsmatter

I certainly don't care about this specific topic though because it's not offensive at all.

Yes, because Dixie and the south is akin to Hitler. Jesus Christ

lol...jump to conclusions much?

When signs, symbols, and words are absorbed and adopted by certain groups, and those groups preach hatred and discrimination, it's only natural that the backlash thrown at those groups will also extend to the signs, symbols, and words they adopted.

I'm just saying that the word "dixie" predating the civil war does not mean it's immune to the backlash of it's current, more common usage.

Again, I don't care either way whether the fair changes the name or it doesn't. But I can see why some overly sensitive people could be opposed to the name.

Back