• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dixie Classic Fair Name Change

Don't really care too much what the name is, but the argument that Dixie preceded the Civil War is stupid. The Swastika preceded the Nazi movement, but that doesn't mean it should be cool to use today

It+s+cool+i+m+taking+it+back+_8388dd12f229cb6471934ae97a0cfaf9.jpg

I don't think the phrase "Dixie" ever took on quite the negative connotation that the Swastika did

I don't think the phrase "Dixie" ever took on quite the negative connotation that the Swastika did

True.

How long until "oppressed" southerners start using things like the Dixie Classic Fair to flaunt their rebel flag waving racist bullshit?

:noidea:

I'm inclined to believe you, but I wonder how southern black people, particularly, but not limited to people who grew up during Jim Crow, feel about Dixie.

I'm inclined to believe you, but I wonder how southern black people, particularly, but not limited to people who grew up during Jim Crow, feel about Dixie.

While at Wake, I did a business case study on Dixie Beer. They had accidentally distributed skunky beer from their open vats while their floors were being re-done. Local news reported it, the recall, and their dumping of the bad beer. What came out in the research of the company was that their largest demographic was black males. The label even had the confederate flag on it at the time. Whatever objections they may have had about the name and the flag, they were overcome by some other aspects of the beer - local pride, cost, etc.

3ed5838decba1ddf9743b62c9cbb0f5e.jpg

That's a solid point. I'm not exactly in the demographic of people likely to be offended by the phrase Dixie.

There is no one at the Carolina Classic Fair this year. I've seen more people at noon on a rainy Tuesday than I've seen this year the few times I've been on the fairgrounds for work.

Back