• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dixie Classic Fair Name Change

I don't have a real problem with the name, but wouldn't mind if they changed it either, considering:

As a definite geographic location within the United States, "Dixie" is usually defined as the eleven Southern states that seceded in late 1860 and early 1861 to form the new confederation named the Confederate States of America.

Knowing the makeup of W-S and surrounding areas, I doubt the public will support the name change. Hell, they're having Heritage Rallies in Salisbury and Lexington on a weekly basis.

I passed a "Stonewall Jackson Dr" in Orlando yesterday. It looked like a shitty road. Does that need to change too?

I know I know #whiteprivilege, but it has never occurred to me that someone would be offended by "Dixie." But I guess people can be offended by anything. Something happened in the past? Let's erase every mention of it ever existing!

Knowing the makeup of W-S and surrounding areas, I doubt the public will support the name change. Hell, they're having Heritage Rallies in Salisbury and Lexington on a weekly basis.

W-S has a very different makeup than the surrounding areas. There will be some support in city of W-S for a name change. Probably much less so in the surrounding areas.

Interesting that Vivian Burke is using this issue to voice her displeasure over the types of musical acts at the DCF. Too much country for her taste, I guess.

Last edited:
What was the reason for the name change in 1956? This was an era in which white Southerners were pushing back on integration by hearkening back to remnants of the Civil War, most commonly the re-adoption of the Confederate battle flag.

The Lawrence Joel Classic Fair?

It was the Forsyth County Fair - ugh. They are going to pay a consultant $$ to come up with the name Piedmont Classic Fair.

Do people boycott German cars due to their Nazi roots?

Last edited:
I passed a "Stonewall Jackson Dr" in Orlando yesterday. It looked like a shitty road. Does that need to change too?

Changing it to Stoney Jackson Dr. would be an easy fix.

Just because it predates the Civil War doesn't mean it can't still be offensive. That being said while I think "Dixie" could be offensive in some contexts, it probably isn't in this context (unless it comes out that the reason for the name change in the 50's was due to Jesse Helms and his KKK crews seeking to change it in light of Jim Crow laws). Dixie has been around since before the Revolutionary War.

Back