• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

Much of the offensive free speech you are supporting is akin to yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre to me, not the free exchange of opinions and ideas.

On the flip side, if the offensive free speech in question was being spoken by JayZ or Kanye, the victims would have paid to have it said to them.

Much of the offensive free speech you are supporting is akin to yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre to me, not the free exchange of opinions and ideas.

If you think you can go through life without someone yelling "FIRE !" in a crowded theater then you're living on the wrong planet ! Grow some thicker skin.

I have problems with them demanding he acknowledge his quite privilege without knowing more about what he has said in the past. I also wonder how many of the players were honestly willing to risk their scholarships on this strike.

But I did hear on the radio this morning that they're appointing their very first diversity officer and that seems way behind the times.

The hunger strike thing never made much sense to me. What the hell do I care if someone is choosing not to eat? There are plenty of people in this world who would love to eat but can't, and nobody cares about them. Why should we care about someone who has every opportunity to eat but just doesn't want to?

The only good thing to ever come from a hunger strike is Vedder and Cornell going back and forth.

And just as important, I realized that, 20+ years later, Vedder's outfit on the beach is something right out of Cam Newton's closet.

tumblr_n8q768ouqS1smsmqro1_500.gif

4e87b74ad31a4aeb16bb06647a4a3722.jpg

If these were my kids, I would feel myself a complete failure at preparing them for life.

They had best learn life lessons before they get to college as they will very learn little there.

It's 2015. You all act like every kid should be Jackie Robinson or James Meredith. Shouldn't we be past that? Shouldn't minority students by able to attend college without facing racial harassment?

If these were my kids, I would feel myself a complete failure at preparing them for life.

They had best learn life lessons before they get to college as they will very learn little there.

Which kids? The kids complaining about racial harassment or the kids calling them "nigger?" You seem to think the former shouldn't complain and the latter is fine.

It's 2015. You all act like every kid should be Jackie Robinson or James Meredith. Shouldn't we be past that? Shouldn't minority students by able to attend college without facing racial harassment?

Which kids? The kids complaining about racial harassment or the kids calling them "nigger?" You seem to think the former shouldn't complain and the latter is fine.

So you support getting a University President fired because a couple of redneck idiots that likely do not go to the school shouted racial epithets?

There are always going to be the idiots of the world. Reacting in this way just gives these insignificant people the power to disrupt their lives. I think the kids on this campus need to learn coping skills or life will be a series of moments where they are offended.

So you support getting a University President fired because a couple of redneck idiots that likely do not go to the school shouted racial epithets?

There are always going to be the idiots of the world. Reacting in this way just gives these insignificant people the power to disrupt their lives. I think the kids on this campus need to learn coping skills or life will be a series of moments where they are offended.

Link?

It's the job of university administration to provide a campus atmosphere conducive to learning. Again, it's 2015. The best you can do is to tell victims of racism to just suck it up and deal? They're the problem?

Link?

It's the job of university administration to provide a campus atmosphere conducive to learning. Again, it's 2015. The best you can do is to tell victims of racism to just suck it up and deal? They're the problem?

Apparently now the proper response is to call the police any time someone's feelings are hurt by speech:

Screen-Shot-2015-11-10-at-12.02.38-PM.jpg

This has got to be the most millennial participation trophy response in history. And should go over well to help public/police relations.

Link?

I am sure there are other incidents that have not gotten publicity. But every single news account I read about this Missouri thing lists only three - 1. Unidentified person drives a truck through campus on a public street and yells a racial slur at the black student body president, 2. a drunk kid disrupts a black fraternity event and then yells a racial slur, and 3. the poop swastika. Example:http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/11/09/timeline_of_u_of_missouri_protests_and_president_resignation.html

If the kids involved in 2 and 3 could be identified presumably they could be disciplined for public intoxication, vandalism, and whatever honor code violation comes along with offensive speech/graffiti. It appears that they could not be identified. Maybe the school didn't try hard enough, I don't know. But what the heck was the school supposed to do about #1?

I don't think anybody (much) opposes campus conduct policies condemning hate speech and certainly nobody disagrees that the college itself must treat everyone equally. That said, it seems that some of these protesters just don't want to hear anything or anybody that disagrees with them at all, and if they do it's a "microagression" or some such. Not only that, if they subjectively perceive anybody not doing what they want, they feel justified in shouting them down and using actual physical force (i.e. the photographer at Mizzou, the screaming match at Yale over effing Halloween costumes). Not just talking about Missouri here but more broadly about the topic of this thread.

Link?

Wow, now PH is concerned about providing an atmosphere conducive to learning. When we were talking about violence in the public school classroom that was not remotely an issue for him. Wonder what created the change of attitude between the two?

Last edited:
If the kids involved in 2 and 3 could be identified presumably they could be disciplined for public intoxication, vandalism, and whatever honor code violation comes along with offensive speech/graffiti. It appears that they could not be identified. Maybe the school didn't try hard enough, I don't know. But what the heck was the school supposed to do about #1?

The President did later admit he didn't really appear to care enough, whatever that means.

I regret my reaction at the MU homecoming parade when the ConcernedStudent1950 group approached my car. I am sorry, and my apology is long overdue. My behavior seemed like I did not care. That was not my intention. I was caught off guard in that moment. Nonetheless, had I gotten out of the car to acknowledge the students and talk with them perhaps we wouldn’t be where we are today. I am asking us to move forward in addressing the racism that exists at our university – and it does exist. Together we must rise to the challenge of combatting racism, injustice, and intolerance.

There was basically nothing more than an acknowledgment from the university that the events occurred until students began to take action. I don't know what the responsibility of the university should be in matters like these. Is making a statement of any kind coddling? Seems to get at the crux of the thread, if it belongs here at all.

It was all fun and games until the poop swastika.

Rory Gilmore was never that coddled. Paris would have never stood for that shit at the Yale Daily News.

If the poop swastika was on their own property it would be protected though, something for poop swastika makers to consider.

Back