• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

The University of Missouri selects the people who attend the university. If they're selecting people who yell racial slurs at minority students, that's definitely part of the product. Don't you judge your time at Wake at least somewhat based on your interactions with other students?

No where has it been established that it was a student yelling slurs.

Would you consider someone from an organization that benefits the disenfranchised asking for a donation from a major corporation with the implied threat that an answer of no would be followed by picketing and boycotts okay?

These tactics are to free markets what bullies in a schoolyard are to a free lunch program.

:nosat because these analogies are baffling.

The University of Missouri selects the people who attend the university. If they're selecting people who yell racial slurs at minority students, that's definitely part of the product. Don't you judge your time at Wake at least somewhat based on your interactions with other students?

You are making the assumption that either person was a student. Is there any evidence of this? Otherwise this seems like a huge reach. How the hell is a university going to ferret out information like that during their application process?

No where has it been established that it was a student yelling slurs.

If not, don't you think the university prevent people from coming to campus to harass their students?

You are making the assumption that either person was a student. Is there any evidence of this? Otherwise this seems like a huge reach. How the hell is a university going to ferret out information like that during their application process?

It's a "huge reach" that people on a university campus are students?

Market forces imply an uncoerced exchange that is mutually beneficial to both parties. Force and fraud distort market forces. They do not add to them.

By my understanding, "uncoerced" means not involving a third party beyond both parties. It's not "force" or "fraud" for consumers to express their displeasure with a product. That's part of the uncoerced exchange.

You're making an assumption that they weren't students, when events all point to the contrary.

By my understanding, "uncoerced" means not involving a third party beyond both parties. It's not "force" or "fraud" for consumers to express their displeasure with a product. That's part of the uncoerced exchange.

It is at least intellectual if not actual fraud when a blameless person is forced to resign from his job. The force is applied when you hold hostage a minimum of 1 million dollars (and likely much more) if your demands are not met.

If you consider this to be market forces, then it is easy to understand why you distrust the market.

Plenty of blameless people get fired all the time for any number of reasons. That's an underlying point of at-will employment

Also what's your answer to not letting this happen then knowell? Surely not any regulation?

Organized labor action is part of every market economy. Ironically, the places where organized labor action is not allowed (or allowed only when government sanctioned) are centrally planned worker's paradises like China and North Korea. You guys are talking past each other because you're thinking about the wrong market.The applicable market to consider here is not the market for public university educations, it's the market for skilled college football players (specifically, a subset of that group who are available to play for Mizzou THIS SATURDAY). The Missouri football team woke up to the fact that they are laborers who produce an extremely valuable product, and their services cannot be easily replaced. That gives them quite enormous power in the labor market. They wielded it to secure a change in management.

Plenty of blameless people get fired all the time for any number of reasons. That's an underlying point of at-will employment

Also what's your answer to not letting this happen then knowell? Surely not any regulation?

I am not saying anything needs to happen to prevent this. My only point is that, this is not what would normally be called market forces. Lots of things happen that are not good that should not necessarily be prevented. I just did not care for the characterization of this as a free market thing.

Seems that Ph is advocating for some kind of precog minority report by schools allowing them to filter out applicants based on potential racial language they may use during their future time on campus.

You're making an assumption that they weren't students, when events all point to the contrary.

It's a "huge reach" that people on a university campus are students?

No, its a huge reach that an admissions office could somehow pre-select people who would never engage in such acitivity like they have the ability to read minds.

Regarding whether these were students are not, I am not making any assumption whatsoever. How do "all events" point to the fact that they were students? I can just as easily drive through Wake's campus as a non student just as easily as any student.

Why all this talk about prevention when much of the protest was about the failure to react.

I am not saying anything needs to happen to prevent this. My only point is that, this is not what would normally be called market forces. Lots of things happen that are not good that should not necessarily be prevented. I just did not care for the characterization of this as a free market thing.

so what are they? Just circumstantial externalities? I would argue they're byproducts of the free market system.

Seems to me that defenders of the mizzou president are just using the same line you see terminated employees use everyday in lawsuits "sure I made a mistake but you shouldn't have terminated me still!"

Why all this talk about prevention when much of the protest was about the failure to react.

Because they need a straw man. They're the only ones talking prevention.

This board gets real ugly when it comes to defending racism. People will contort themselves all sort of ways to defend racism without appearing racist using free speech and anti-PC arguments.

Is anyone actually defending those two women, the professor and the staffer ? I can't tell because people keep responding to different stuff. But let me tell you, if you're defending either one of those self-important half-baked hypocritical dumbasses, you're dumber than they are.

Back