• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

Are you still a mod?

I'll have to think about the tactics. Certainly they would include reasoned argument and exemplary behavior.

I was never a mod.

"Exemplary behavior?" What does that mean?

I was kidding about you being a mod.

Behavior that is difficult to object to, that sets an example and supports one's earnestness and seriousness.

At this point, I think reasoned argument, and there is certainly reasoned argument that can be made against prejudice, and exemplary behavior will produce far better results than simply claiming victimhood and hamfisted efforts to indoctrinate and bludgeon people into accepting and publicly professing a party line. If history is to be any guide, I doubt any tactic will produce significant results quickly. That's just the way society is. It changes very slowly, and it is very easy to over exaggerate the possible speed and magnitude of social changes. There is, however, a brand new phenomenon, the internet, which is a kind of joker - a very unpredictable one at that - in the issue of social change. If I wanted to speed up social change in ways that were previously impossible, I would probably try to exploit opportunities made possible by the internet. This has started to happen already, but the long term results - in terms of how society will change - remain highly unpredictable. The law of unintended consequences is as valid and powerful as ever. The whole issue of how to change things in society is much more complex than this forum allows at this time.

I gotta run now. Later.

"Good behavior" by protesters is no guarantee against getting murdered by white supremacists. They should do whatever gets results.

I was kidding about you being a mod.

Behavior that is difficult to object to, that sets an example and supports one's earnestness and seriousness.

At this point, I think reasoned argument, and there is certainly reasoned argument that can be made against prejudice, and exemplary behavior will produce far better results than simply claiming victimhood and hamfisted efforts to indoctrinate and bludgeon people into accepting and publicly professing a party line. If history is to be any guide, I doubt any tactic will produce significant results quickly. That's just the way society is. It changes very slowly, and it is very easy to over exaggerate the possible speed and magnitude of social changes. There is, however, a brand new phenomenon, the internet, which is a kind of joker - a very unpredictable one at that - in the issue of social change. If I wanted to speed up social change in ways that were previously impossible, I would probably try to exploit opportunities made possible by the internet. This has started to happen already, but the long term results - in terms of how society will change - remain highly unpredictable. The law of unintended consequences is as valid and powerful as ever. The whole issue of how to change things in society is much more complex than this forum allows at this time.

I gotta run now. Later.

I really don't know how to respond to this. I hope you are alone in your views. The idea that an entire group has to be perfect in order to not be seen as inferior is bad enough. Not recognizing that racism colors perceptions of behavior is worse.

I really don't know how to respond to this. I hope you are alone in your views. The idea that an entire group has to be perfect in order to not be seen as inferior is bad enough. Not recognizing that racism colors perceptions of behavior is worse.

who said perfect? racism does influence the views of some people, behavior influences the views of everyone

I won't quibble exemplary vs. perfect. If behavior is the strategy for fighting racism, then the some people racism influences are the target.

hmm

Ithaca College students join walkout movement

Students at Ithaca College in upstate New York joined their peers at Yale and the University of Missouri Wednesday by protesting over issues of race.

"Tom Rochon, no confidence," bellowed chants across campus Wednesday, calling for the resignation of college President Thomas R. Rochon.

Faculty joined many students in a walkout, organized in part by the People of Color at Ithaca. At least 1,000 students have joined the "Solidarity Walk Out."

"Our hearts are heavy with the pain of Mizzou and Yale and Smith and every person of color on a college campus simply because of the color of their skin, the texture of their hair or their ancestry. This a problem of the nation," a demonstrator said to a crowd, the Ithaca Journal reported.

Following an incident in October where an alumnus referred to a student as a "savage" in a misunderstanding at a campus event, Rochon issued a statement apologizing for the incident, but also defending free speech, and indicating to students that they could never been fully inocculated against offensive speech.

"In general, the college cannot prevent the use of hurtful language on campus. Such language, intentional or unintentional, exists in the world and will seep into our community," Rochon said.

The student government is planning to call a no-confidence vote on Rochon's leadership, scheduled to happen on November 30. Students would then have the opportunity to cast an up-or-down vote on their president's performance. The exact authority the results of such a vote would have is unclear.

I don't think respectability politics is uncommon in the U.S.A.

So the argument against what protesters are doing at Yale, Missouri, and now Ithica is that people are always going to say/do stupid and offensive shit and students shouldn't expect their administrations to completely insulate them from potentially harmful language/actions?

Doesn't that argument apply equally to the people bitching about the protestors? At worst, aren't the protestors doing stupid shit (trying to get "innocent" administrators fired) that the administrators should just deal with because they can't expect to be insulated from the collective action of their students (no matter how stupid or offensive).

Why don't the administrators in this case grow thicker skin? Maybe it's time we stop coddling college administrators.

I don't think the argument is that the protestors shouldn't protest; people can protest for whatever idiotic reasons they want. The argument is that the administration shouldn't cave to the idiot protestors and actually take their demands seriously. Just ignore them.

You cant put those in the same pile.

The shit in MO is real, and its really getting to the point where we should consider burning the whole midwestern mayo sammich eating hoosier thing down and start over. They dont even have Anheuser Busch anymore.

The Yale kids are just being fucking babies, and the Ithaca people are just dumb.

These kids whose names are making the press are going to have a hard time finding real job when they graduate. How would you ever feel comfortable that you have prepared a sufficiently inoffensive environment that these kids won't be taking you to court the first time you deny them a raise. It would be safer to hire a random high school graduate than one of these Yale educated students.

Most of the vocal protestors are likely going to find a job in an area related to improving race-relations/advocating for causes they believe in so I think it's likely going to be okay for them.

I would say there are more employed left-wing "SJW" people I went to law school than those who weren't. Generally those people took jobs with either public defenders in low-income areas (mainly in the south) or with an advocacy group.

Most of the vocal protestors are likely going to find a job in an area related to improving race-relations/advocating for causes they believe in so I think it's likely going to be okay for them.

I would say there are more employed left-wing "SJW" people I went to law school than those who weren't. Generally those people took jobs with either public defenders in low-income areas (mainly in the south) or with an advocacy group.

I guess you could always become a community organizer and ride that gravy train as long as it last.

More college kids getting coddled and protected from the 1st and 2nd amendments.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...ward-university-receives-racist-death-threat/

The oldest historically black university in D.C. received a threat to campus safety this morning as students at schools across the country take up the issue of racial discrimination.
Early Thursday, reports surfaced on Twitter that an anonymous author had posted a death threat targeting students at Howard University to an online comment board. The author writes that he "left [Missouri University] yesterday because he just couldn't put up with it anymore," likely a reference to protests against racism that have rocked Mizzou's campus this past week.
In an email to students, Howard President Wayne Frederick said the university is "aware of the threat" and is "working with campus, local, and federal law enforcement on this matter. This is an ongoing investigation." Frederick said "in an abundance of caution" security has been increased on campus and at nearby Metro stations.

CTnvbDpVEAEcyTr.jpg

I've decided over the past few years that social media has little actual value, and is mostly a platform for idiots and losers who previously wouldn't have gotten any attention as they yelled at the shadows.
Hopefully it dies off as a fad in the near future, but unfortunately I don't see that happening as millennials seem to view it as the truth and purpose of existence.

I've decided over the past few years that social media has little actual value, and is mostly a platform for idiots and losers who previously wouldn't have gotten any attention as they yelled at the shadows.
Hopefully it dies off as a fad in the near future, but unfortunately I don't see that happening as millennials seem to view it as the truth and purpose of existence.

... he said on an internet message board.

Back