• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

Eh, I wouldn't call this social media ... this was around long before the standard iterations of the term.

More college kids getting coddled and protected from the 1st and 2nd amendments.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...ward-university-receives-racist-death-threat/

CTnvbDpVEAEcyTr.jpg

Self-fulfilling prophesy. Driving all of the nutcases, losers and attention seekers out of the woodwork.

Self-fulfilling prophesy. Driving all of the nutcases, losers and attention seekers out of the woodwork.

Emanuel AME and Umpqua CC disagree with your causality. You can't blame Mizzou protesters for people seeking to kill black people and/or shoot up college campuses.

I guess you could always become a community organizer and ride that gravy train as long as it last.

Well with a law degree and a passion for advocating change it certainly appears to be a long gravy train for the right people.

Well with a law degree and a passion for advocating change it certainly appears to be a long gravy train for the right people.

I know of one guy who was a community organizer before law school and it worked well for him.

From Facebook:

"Someone told me to 'give it the old college try,' so I crumbled into an incoherent mess the moment I heard an opinion that differed from mine."

On our campus, I would say sentiment is firmly in support of the Mizzou/Yale students. The forcefulness of it makes me uncomfortable. One of my classmates posted this on Facebook today re: a planned protest by wearing black:

"Hey, people at XXX School not wearing black today, feel free to not talk to me for the full extent of the day. Why? Simply put, you've made your choice where you stand on issues of racism and intimidation and I want to express to you my strongest disagreement. Ignorance is no excuse. There were emails announcing the blackout from a lot of the organizations at school; and I know you guys get the emails because I see you at every free lunch event during the week. Standing in solidarity with my brothers and sisters of color across the nation is about more than dressing up; it's also about confronting apathy and being unwilling to tolerate people's lack of care. Be clear friends, I don't hate you for not blacking out today. I'm just disappointed. ‪#‎ConcernedStudent1950‬"

I am firmly behind anti-racism, but the Yale protest trying to get a professor fired for writing a very thoughtful letter is way over the line for me. And I don't feel right wearing black or getting involved in this as long as that's still a goal

Last edited:
On our campus, I would say sentiment is firmly in support of the Mizzou/Yale students. The forcefulness of it makes me uncomfortable. One of my classmates posted this on Facebook today re: a planned protest by wearing black:

"Hey, people at XXX School not wearing black today, feel free to not talk to me for the full extent of the day. Why? Simply put, you've made your choice where you stand on issues of racism and intimidation and I want to express to you my strongest disagreement. Ignorance is no excuse. There were emails announcing the blackout from a lot of the organizations at school; and I know you guys get the emails because I see you at every free lunch event during the week. Standing in solidarity with my brothers and sisters of color across the nation is about more than dressing up; it's also about confronting apathy and being unwilling to tolerate people's lack of care. Be clear friends, I don't hate you for not blacking out today. I'm just disappointed. ‪#‎ConcernedStudent1950‬

I am firmly behind anti-racism, but the Yale protest trying to get a professor fired for writing a very thoughtful letter is way over the line for me. And I don't feel right wearing black or getting involved in this as long as that's still a goal

I thought Townie had graduated already?

"Hey, people at XXX School not wearing black today, feel free to not talk to me for the full extent of the day. Why? Simply put, you've made your choice where you stand on issues of racism and intimidation and I want to express to you my strongest disagreement. Ignorance is no excuse. There were emails announcing the blackout from a lot of the organizations at school; and I know you guys get the emails because I see you at every free lunch event during the week. Standing in solidarity with my brothers and sisters of color across the nation is about more than dressing up; it's also about confronting apathy and being unwilling to tolerate people's lack of care. Be clear friends, I don't hate you for not blacking out today. I'm just disappointed. ‪#‎ConcernedStudent1950‬

Solid millennial work by him/her to use intimidation and intolerance to decry intimidation and intolerance. Between these idiots and Obamacare, this country is truly fucked.

From Facebook:

"Someone told me to 'give it the old college try,' so I crumbled into an incoherent mess the moment I heard an opinion that differed from mine."

:bowrofl:

"Hey, people at XXX School not wearing black today, feel free to not talk to me for the full extent of the day. Why? Simply put, you've made your choice where you stand on issues of racism and intimidation and I want to express to you my strongest disagreement. Ignorance is no excuse. There were emails announcing the blackout from a lot of the organizations at school; and I know you guys get the emails because I see you at every free lunch event during the week. Standing in solidarity with my brothers and sisters of color across the nation is about more than dressing up; it's also about confronting apathy and being unwilling to tolerate people's lack of care. Be clear friends, I don't hate you for not blacking out today. I'm just disappointed. ‪#‎ConcernedStudent1950‬"

this reminds me of how back in the early 90s the gay/lesbian association at Wake would have fairly poorly publicized "jeans days" where you were encouraged to wear jeans to show your support for them. EVERY DAY is jeans day at college.

that writer needs to get a grip. What if someone doesn't have black clothing? I wear plenty now, but in college I owned almost nothing black. People just need to get over themselves. It's one thing to ask for support, but it's something else entirely to shame anyone who DOESN'T support you in the way that you request.

Friedersdorf's response to the Cobb NYT article above. Long, but worth a read if you're following the Missouri / Yale stories:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/race-and-the-anti-free-speech-diversion/415254/

Piggybacking on this, here's a column from Geoff Stone, big boss on free speech in legal academia, and former Provost of University of Chicago. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-r-stone/understanding-the-free-sp_b_8535304.html

Stone doesn't say anything new or radical there. But it's at least a perspective from a campus administrator who's been dealing with these issues for 30+ years.

FWIW, I tend to think that the fault lines of this whole debate are not about "Free Speech" so much as the role of universities. I tend to agree with the old guard that universities are not, nor should they be, "safe places." That's not meant to diminish the need for safe places in society, either.

Piggybacking on this, here's a column from Geoff Stone, big boss on free speech in legal academia, and former Provost of University of Chicago. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-r-stone/understanding-the-free-sp_b_8535304.html

Stone doesn't say anything new or radical there. But it's at least a perspective from a campus administrator who's been dealing with these issues for 30+ years.

As my previous posts on this subject make clear, I'm pretty much in agreement with Friedersdorf and Stone. Anybody interested in fighting racism ought to think about what it would be like to try to fight against racism without freedom of speech.

But mostly Obamacare.

His rates went up -- he has a right to be angry because he is all that matters. He was trying to build a millennium falcon around his couch in his basement and now can't afford the pipes he needs for the gunner bay.

Back