• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

I don't disagree about the latter. As to the former, tell them to stop being pussies and getting offended so easily.

Are some mental health issues real? Of course. However, 107's quote of "encouraging the use of mental health resources for the large number of students that need them" reeks of trying to explain away every insecurity or abnormality as a mental health issue.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/09/cover-pressure.aspx

In 2013, 30% of college students reported seriously contemplating suicide at some point in their life.

Colleges should probably just tell them to stop being pussies.

I don't disagree about the latter. As to the former, tell them to stop being pussies and getting offended so easily.

Could have fooled me

This. College Administrators should worry far more about providing access to and encouraging the use of mental health resources for the large number of students that need them rather than trying to build a bubble around every student.

Is this a serious post? You are advocating for the bubble that you are decrying. How about the administrators just tell them to grow up and not be such pussies.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/09/cover-pressure.aspx

In 2013, 30% of college students reported seriously contemplating suicide at some point in their life.

Colleges should probably just tell them to stop being pussies.

Didn't the article say this was partly due to the coddling where they never developed the wherewithall to deal with the real world. It is definitely important to help someone that is seriously hurting but often letting a child or adolescent deal with some pain on their own and come out the other side gives them the self confidence to deal with some of life's problems. Always coming to the aid of your child is likely causing more harm than good.

not allowing somebody like chris rock, who i suppose could be considered offensive, to perform on campus has nothing to do with mental health. get real.

not allowing somebody like chris rock, who i suppose could be considered offensive, to perform on campus has nothing to do with mental health. get real.

It's a long article that conflates several different issues into one problem.

Didn't the article say this was partly due to the coddling where they never developed the wherewithall to deal with the real world. It is definitely important to help someone that is seriously hurting but often letting a child or adolescent deal with some pain on their own and come out the other side gives them the self confidence to deal with some of life's problems. Always coming to the aid of your child is likely causing more harm than good.

No, it didn't say that.

That's the point. Administrators should stop coddling their students and provide greater access to mental health treatment.

Apparently they also need to focus on reading comprehension.

That's the point. Administrators should stop coddling their students and provide greater access to mental health treatment.

"You're offended by Chris Rock? Go see your mental health counselor." Yeah, that sounds like a great way to deal with things.

So what is the answer, 1/3rd of college kids thought about suicide, is that because they don't get the help they need or is it because they get too much help and can't handle reality. With a number that large I would go with there is a fundamental problem that they are encountering and it would be they are getting too much help.

Childress working hard to defend his generation.

So what is the answer, 1/3rd of college kids thought about suicide, is that because they don't get the help they need or is it because they get too much help and can't handle reality. With a number that large I would go with there is a fundamental problem that they are encountering and it would be they are getting too much help.

2&2's presence has kept this from being the dumbest thing said on this thread

Why is that dumb, the whole thread is about coddling of college students and then 1/3rd of college students go on to think about suicide because something happens in their life. So too much help of being wrapped in a bubble of you will never fail, country club style living, etc... so when someone does encounter adversity which is bound to happen they can't handle it.

Let's start over, it appears I went to quickly for all of you.

Small groups of students at a select number of colleges have started protesting anything that might offend one of their fellow classmates. This trend is largely fucking ridiculous, as I said earlier. It arose out of a good faith, not ridiculous, effort to protect victims of actual trauma from material or speech that might trigger PTSD symptoms. It got carried to the extreme by college students (that's what they do) enabled in part by college administrators.

Again, this trend is fucking ridiculous.

Students that might suffer from some negative mental health symptom based on other individuals incidental speech or actions are not well served by this trend. As many of you have aptly pointed out, the real world isn't going to spare them from all negative content. They are also not well served by being told to stop being pussies.

They would be better off if they had adequate access to mental health professionals if needed. If they erroneously go to a mental health professional when what they really need is to stop being a pussy, most mental health professionals will identify this and encourage the student to stop being a pussy by communicating that message in a more effective way.

Why is that dumb, the whole thread is about coddling of college students and then 1/3rd of college students go on to think about suicide because something happens in their life. So too much help of being wrapped in a bubble of you will never fail, country club style living, etc... so when someone does encounter adversity which is bound to happen they can't handle it.

Maybe i misunderstood your point. Students are not thinking about suicide because they have too much access to mental health treatment.

Breaking it down:

[Loaded] Question: Do students feel like committing suicide "because they don't get the help they need or is it because they get too much help and can't handle reality?"
Supporting Evidence: A lot of students feel like comitting suicide.
Conclusion: Students are receiving too much counseling.

Interesting moves. 2/10 for effort.

not allowing comics who make offensive jokes to perform on campus has absolutely nothing to do with mental health

Back