• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

i asked ITCwife about this and she said her college has never mentioned this issue in any way on an official level, let alone offered or required training.

hey, i just wanted to report back from the real world instead of listening to boomer/ sad-Xer handwringing

hey it's cool that anecdotes are ok with you now

it gives me great satisfaction to know that someone my age will decide how the end of your life is spent

it gives me great satisfaction to know that someone my age will decide how the end of your life is spent

As long your as your check clears for my care, I don't care how you feel about it.

I can't wait to see how millennials solve global climate change. I'm sure it will start with a huge dose of blaming "the olds."

I'm not a boomer and those problems were furthered while giving you and me the most luxurious upbringing in the history of the planet.

i'm looking forward to the elder Gen Xer congress pushing lots of environmental legislation

The turn that the discussion on this thread has taken is pretty barren and pointless. The original problem posed by hypersensitivity and efforts to limit free speech stem not from perceptions unique to millennials but from the increasing tendency of modern liberalism to embrace political correctness and turn against its own traditions of free speech and the free exchange of ideas. The problems of hypersensitivity and efforts to limit free speech on campuses and elsewhere have been a part of political correctness since the very beginning and did not need millennials, spoiled or not, to flourish. Modern liberals should be ashamed of the trendy political correctness that they have fostered and all of their efforts to limit free speech.

The turn that the discussion on this thread has taken is pretty barren and pointless. The original problem posed by hypersensitivity and efforts to limit free speech stem not from perceptions unique to millennials but from the increasing tendency of modern liberalism to embrace political correctness and turn against its own traditions of free speech and the free exchange of ideas. The problems of hypersensitivity and efforts to limit free speech on campuses and elsewhere have been a part of political correctness since the very beginning and did not need millennials, spoiled or not, to flourish. Modern liberals should be ashamed of the trendy political correctness that they have fostered and all of their efforts to limit free speech.

We may be using different definitions of "liberalism," but this is a good read. How the language police are perverting liberalism.

Lol.

1. The internet, social media in particular, is where most bullying happens these days. The younger half of the millennials have had to deal with some pretty fucked up shit on the internet.

2. The internet is the only place rich white millennials (a.k.a the people complained about on this thread) might encounter scary thoughts and differing opinions. They certainly don't encounter them at home or at schools where the majority of kids look like they do.

3. This statement is pretty rich coming from someone who spends a solid amount of internet time posting on a message board consisting almost exclusively of alumni of an elite private liberal arts school

Guess what pretty fucked up shit on the internet is not as bad as though? Someone grabbing you, calling you names to your face and then beating you down on the playground/on the way home from school. Because that is what happened in the 70s and 80s, with much less repurcussions than the internerd bullies face.

Yep, when I was a kid, you know how we handled bullies? We stood up to them and fucked them up. Then I became a bully.

Guess what pretty fucked up shit on the internet is not as bad as though? Someone grabbing you, calling you names to your face and then beating you down on the playground/on the way home from school. Because that is what happened in the 70s and 80s, with much less repurcussions than the internerd bullies face.

Now imagine having that happen except that when you get home and get on the internet you have to read things about you that noone would ever say to your face. Cause that's what happens now.

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2015/The-Evolution-of-Bullying-From-Schoolyard-to-Smartphone-24-7

Although cyberbullying does not involve physical violence, there is evidence suggesting that online bullying is even more intense than traditional bullying for the following reasons:

- It is anonymous. As cyberbullying can remain faceless in an anonymous online setting it is harder to establish the bullies’ identities and to prove who is ultimately responsible. This also means that the bullies are less connected to the damage they cause and can take things further as a result.

- It is hard to escape. Most people today have access to the Internet and all humiliating information that is stored online can theoretically be accessible forever, by everyone.

- Online all of the time. It is more difficult to escape from cyberbullying because victims are contactable via computers or smartphones, anytime and anywhere.

- It is more invasive than face-to-face interaction. The bullies and the victims cannot see each other. Consequently, they are unable to see their counterparts’ facial expressions, gestures or spatial behavior. Bullies become even more detached from the damage they are causing and as a consequence they become less concerned about the feelings and opinions of others.

Last edited:
Back