• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Coddling of the American Mind

:bowrofl:

this reminds me of how back in the early 90s the gay/lesbian association at Wake would have fairly poorly publicized "jeans days" where you were encouraged to wear jeans to show your support for them. EVERY DAY is jeans day at college.

that writer needs to get a grip. What if someone doesn't have black clothing? I wear plenty now, but in college I owned almost nothing black. People just need to get over themselves. It's one thing to ask for support, but it's something else entirely to shame anyone who DOESN'T support you in the way that you request.

The irony is that he walked past me and said "Hi" last night, although it may have been after midnight, so perhaps his vow of silence had lapsed

FWIW, I tend to think that the fault lines of this whole debate are not about "Free Speech" so much as the role of universities. I tend to agree with the old guard that universities are not, nor should they be, "safe places." That's not meant to diminish the need for safe places in society, either.

I think that this issue is inexorably intertwined with free speech, but I agree with it 100%

Solid millennial work by him/her to use intimidation and intolerance to decry intimidation and intolerance. Between these idiots and Obamacare, this country is truly fucked.

1. Calling out people for offensive speech does not equal intolerance.

2. Even if you think the protesting students are as guilty of "intimidation and intolerance" as those using the racist speech they are protesting, the fact that you decry the former without decrying the latter kind of proves the overall point of the protests.

1. Calling out people for offensive speech does not equal intolerance.

2. Even if you think the protesting students are as guilty of "intimidation and intolerance" as those using the racist speech they are protesting, the fact that you decry the former without decrying the latter kind of proves the overall point of the protests.

Huh? He isn't calling out anyone for offensive speech, nor is there anyone at issue using racist speech. He is calling out people for not participating in the protest. Those non-participating people whom he is calling out have nothing to do with the racists.

:bowrofl:

this reminds me of how back in the early 90s the gay/lesbian association at Wake would have fairly poorly publicized "jeans days" where you were encouraged to wear jeans to show your support for them. EVERY DAY is jeans day at college.

I think you missed the point of jeans day.

Huh? He isn't calling out anyone for offensive speech, nor is there anyone at issue using racist speech. He is calling out people for not participating in the protest. Those non-participating people whom he is calling out have nothing to do with the racists.

The point of the protests is to make it increasingly difficult to hold this opinion.

http://www.theonion.com/article/parents-dedicate-new-college-safe-space-honor-daug-50851

LYNNFIELD, MA—In an effort to provide sanctuary for Lynnfield College students exposed to perspectives different from their own, a new campus safe space was dedicated Wednesday in honor of Alexis Stigmore, a 2009 graduate who felt kind of weird in class one time.

Addressing students at the dedication ceremony, parents Arnold and Cassie Stigmore noted that while the college had adequate facilities to assist victims of discrimination, abuse, and post-traumatic stress, it had until now offered no comparable safe space for students, like their beloved daughter, who encounter an academic viewpoint that gives them an uncomfortable feeling.

“When our Alexis felt weird after hearing someone discuss an idea that did not conform to her personally held beliefs, she had no place to turn,” said Arnold Stigmore, standing outside the $2 million space that reportedly features soothing music, neutral-colored walls, oversized floor cushions, fun board games, and a variety of snacks. “God forbid any of you, in your years at this institution, are ever confronted with an opinion you do not share. But if you are, you will have a refuge on this campus.”

“If unfamiliar thoughts are ever provoked in your mind, or in the mind of someone you know, you can come to this place and feel safe again,” he added.

As they have done often over the years, the Stigmores spoke openly about the time their daughter attended a class in which her political science professor “completely ambushed” her with standard course material that did not fit comfortably within her world outlook. Feeling unsettled, the college student reportedly had no way of coping with the challenging position that did not require her to consider the opinion, analyze its shortcomings, and think of possible counterarguments.

Alexis, then a dean’s-list student in her junior year, described spending 40 harrowing minutes of class in a distressed state, forced to look at the world through the eyes of a set of people she disagreed with.

“I’ll never forget the morning my daughter called and told me in a trembling voice, ‘Mom, my professor said some stuff today I didn’t like,’” recounted an emotional Cassie Stigmore, who also remarked that Alexis was left further traumatized upon looking at the course syllabus and finding it contained a book she did not want to read because it was written by an author whose politics she opposed. “As a parent, I’ll always wish I could have been there for her in that lecture hall, protecting her from those unwelcome concepts.”

After pausing to regain her composure, she continued, “If this safe space had been here then, my Alexis would have been able to surround herself immediately with people who would have reiterated and reinforced all the views she had when we first sent her to college—but sadly, it wasn’t, and she was left to deal with that new, unwanted idea on her own.”

Lynnfield president Dr. Timothy Crowley praised the Stigmores for their generous contribution and for raising awareness of an important issue. Since the family went public with Alexis’ story, a number of students have come forward saying they too have been exposed to alternative views on academic subjects, including several who Crowley applauded for their recent successful initiative to prevent a mainstream political figure from participating in a debate on campus out of concern that the exchange of ideas might make some people feel unsafe.

As he toured the new facility and examined a plaque commemorating Alexis Stigmore’s courage in the face of personal tragedy, Lynnfield class of 2017 member Jerrod Bryant told reporters he would be sure to use the space after attending his next Contemporary Civilization seminar, a course he is required to take even though it covers areas of study he personally disapproves of and believes should not exist..

“As soon as I stepped foot in this place, I knew I would never feel weird here,” Bryant said. “Every college should have a space like this, and thanks to caring parents like the Stigmores, we have one here for our community. It might be too late for Alexis, but it’s not too late for the rest of us.”

Sources confirmed a separate donation has also been made to provide a safe space and counseling services for straight white men at the college who won’t shut the fuck up about how they’re the real victims on campus these days.

Pretty sure it was to equate homosexual with something as normal as wearing jeans.

I could be overestimating the depth of dumb college kids in the 90s. #90sdeacs

http://www.theonion.com/article/parents-dedicate-new-college-safe-space-honor-daug-50851

LYNNFIELD, MA—In an effort to provide sanctuary for Lynnfield College students exposed to perspectives different from their own, a new campus safe space was dedicated Wednesday in honor of Alexis Stigmore, a 2009 graduate who felt kind of weird in class one time.

Addressing students at the dedication ceremony, parents Arnold and Cassie Stigmore noted that while the college had adequate facilities to assist victims of discrimination, abuse, and post-traumatic stress, it had until now offered no comparable safe space for students, like their beloved daughter, who encounter an academic viewpoint that gives them an uncomfortable feeling.

“When our Alexis felt weird after hearing someone discuss an idea that did not conform to her personally held beliefs, she had no place to turn,” said Arnold Stigmore, standing outside the $2 million space that reportedly features soothing music, neutral-colored walls, oversized floor cushions, fun board games, and a variety of snacks. “God forbid any of you, in your years at this institution, are ever confronted with an opinion you do not share. But if you are, you will have a refuge on this campus.”

“If unfamiliar thoughts are ever provoked in your mind, or in the mind of someone you know, you can come to this place and feel safe again,” he added.

As they have done often over the years, the Stigmores spoke openly about the time their daughter attended a class in which her political science professor “completely ambushed” her with standard course material that did not fit comfortably within her world outlook. Feeling unsettled, the college student reportedly had no way of coping with the challenging position that did not require her to consider the opinion, analyze its shortcomings, and think of possible counterarguments.

Alexis, then a dean’s-list student in her junior year, described spending 40 harrowing minutes of class in a distressed state, forced to look at the world through the eyes of a set of people she disagreed with.

“I’ll never forget the morning my daughter called and told me in a trembling voice, ‘Mom, my professor said some stuff today I didn’t like,’” recounted an emotional Cassie Stigmore, who also remarked that Alexis was left further traumatized upon looking at the course syllabus and finding it contained a book she did not want to read because it was written by an author whose politics she opposed. “As a parent, I’ll always wish I could have been there for her in that lecture hall, protecting her from those unwelcome concepts.”

After pausing to regain her composure, she continued, “If this safe space had been here then, my Alexis would have been able to surround herself immediately with people who would have reiterated and reinforced all the views she had when we first sent her to college—but sadly, it wasn’t, and she was left to deal with that new, unwanted idea on her own.”

Lynnfield president Dr. Timothy Crowley praised the Stigmores for their generous contribution and for raising awareness of an important issue. Since the family went public with Alexis’ story, a number of students have come forward saying they too have been exposed to alternative views on academic subjects, including several who Crowley applauded for their recent successful initiative to prevent a mainstream political figure from participating in a debate on campus out of concern that the exchange of ideas might make some people feel unsafe.

As he toured the new facility and examined a plaque commemorating Alexis Stigmore’s courage in the face of personal tragedy, Lynnfield class of 2017 member Jerrod Bryant told reporters he would be sure to use the space after attending his next Contemporary Civilization seminar, a course he is required to take even though it covers areas of study he personally disapproves of and believes should not exist..

“As soon as I stepped foot in this place, I knew I would never feel weird here,” Bryant said. “Every college should have a space like this, and thanks to caring parents like the Stigmores, we have one here for our community. It might be too late for Alexis, but it’s not too late for the rest of us.”

Sources confirmed a separate donation has also been made to provide a safe space and counseling services for straight white men at the college who won’t shut the fuck up about how they’re the real victims on campus these days.

If you want to escape from reality, take drugs. They are better for your mind and more fun. Cheaper too.

The point of the protests is to make it increasingly difficult to hold this opinion.

So now if you don't actively participate in the protest, that means you are a racist? How does that make any sense at all, even in the detached millennial mind?

I can't remember the context or what professor but one of the professors I had for a history class used to read different source material or tell stories where she would include the N bomb.

I can't imagine that would go over very well. But I think her point was it was jarring to hear it aloud. And it should be.

So now if you don't actively participate in the protest, that means you are a racist? How does that make any sense at all, even in the detached millennial mind?

Not necessarily. I think many leaders in the fight against racism would argue that one of the primary factors which has allowed racism to remain relatively pervasive in our society is the silence/apathy of non-racist (at least conciously), mostly white people.

I don't consider myself a racist (though I probably have racial biases I am unaware of) but I don't always object to racist comments and jokes when they come up in conversation. I think it's fair game for people who are subjected to racism to call me out for that. I might not necessarily be spurred to action but I'm also not going to call such people whiny millennial bitches just to avoid thinking about something uncomfortable.

Back