• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

I'm planning to lay seige to Dubrovnik from my catamaran.

Croatia trip is off. Coordinating couple got a huge back tax bill.

Now looking into Southern Italy or Sicily trip. Anbody got any good recs ?

Ya dunno if this is the right thread for it but thinking of a bike trip in Carinthia

Anyone have any thoughts? Vad?

Ya dunno if this is the right thread for it but thinking of a bike trip in Carinthia

Anyone have any thoughts? Vad?
Get a MAGA hat and put a Trump sticker on your bike and everyone will love you. Maybe a Steve King sticker too, since he's a frequent visitor.

Not a huge fan of Carinthia due to it being the heartland of Nazi sympathizing and reactionary fuckers in Austria. This shitbag is still memorialized like a hero in much of the state, for example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jörg_Haider

Other than the people though, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Croatia trip is off. Coordinating couple got a huge back tax bill.

Now looking into Southern Italy or Sicily trip. Anbody got any good recs ?

This episode was on the other day and was mesmerizing. Has a meal with Francis Ford Coppala at one point.

[h=1]Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown S10E08 Southern Italy[/h]
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6mf6tk

Just finalized our trip, thanks for all the suggestions!

3 nights in Venice
3 nights in Tuscany (a little north of Sienna, the B&B looks pretty sweet)
3 nights in Rome

Taking the direct train from Venice to Florence and picking up a rental car so we'll have that in Sienna. Dropping it back off in Florence then taking the direct train to Rome. Can't wait!

Any restaurant or must see/do recommendations in Venice, Rome, Tuscany region are greatly appreciated.

These guys are friends of mine from way back when I studied (friends with a bunch of Wake folks who have studied there over the years).

https://www.tavernasantrovaso.it/en/

It was always solid and reasonable. Probably not ridiculous levels of gourmet quality, but if you want a easy, low-stress, but still authentic meal, I bet they can still serve up the goods. It has been 20 years since I've been, though, but thought I'd shout them out because they rock.

These guys are friends of mine from way back when I studied (friends with a bunch of Wake folks who have studied there over the years).

https://www.tavernasantrovaso.it/en/

It was always solid and reasonable. Probably not ridiculous levels of gourmet quality, but if you want a easy, low-stress, but still authentic meal, I bet they can still serve up the goods. It has been 20 years since I've been, though, but thought I'd shout them out because they rock.

Yeah, go there after your trip to the Guggenheim and Santa Maria della Salute. dell Salute isn't really the greatest church you'll visit, but it's worth the stop because it's so iconic in all of the Venice Grand Canal pictures. It was still good 15 years ago.

Just finalized our trip, thanks for all the suggestions!

3 nights in Venice
3 nights in Tuscany (a little north of Sienna, the B&B looks pretty sweet)
3 nights in Rome

Taking the direct train from Venice to Florence and picking up a rental car so we'll have that in Sienna. Dropping it back off in Florence then taking the direct train to Rome. Can't wait!

Any restaurant or must see/do recommendations in Venice, Rome, Tuscany region are greatly appreciated.

How about a tour of McDonald's?

i would recommend taking time to go to Cinque Terre!

i was not a big fan of Venice but glad i went. it is so busy with tourists, not my deal. it is also really hard to get around with so many lollygaggers (slow walkers/amblivious to others).

3 days in Rome is a minimum, especially if one is spent at Vatican City. that will take up most of a day if you do the tours or walk around the city. my wife and i walked about 15 miles a day and were able to see just about everything, but a little rushed. we did take a 4 hour tour, which i usually don't but feel like it was worth the effort because of the history lesson they gave during the tour.

We're doing two full weeks in Sicily this fall. Anyone been and have any recs? We're going to be all over the island and not confined to any specific location.

planning a trip for October or November. Originally we were gonna go in March but right before Christmas had a car wreck and we were waiting to ensure we'd get our car back and not have it totaled, so put off booking. got the car so now it's trip planning but trying to save money by going in the offseason.

Looking at flying into Milan, spending the night somewhere like Parma, renting a villa outside Tuscany for a few nights, then maybe a night or two in Milan. TBD.

i'm supposed to be planning my honeymoon there sometime in late april or may. flying in/out of rome and milan, not sure what order. chat-gpt gave me a decent itinerary (i will never know how to pronounce or spell this word).

casa artom is doing a 50th year reunion in may incidentally.

Back