• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The American Justice System

Philly DA Larry Krasner:

For like 3 months. Still waiting for one of our conservative legal eagles to explain why a rich white guy who invited a 5 year old to his house and raped her only gets house arrest.

That’s the thing about privilege. Even the asshole conservatives who don’t plan to rape a kid one day want to keep the system working in their favor just in case.

I’m not a conservative legal eagle, but that story about the guy in California is crazy. But, it’s tough to comment when little to no details are provided. Was it an agreed upon plea or an open plea to the judge? Were there suppression or proof issues?

That’s the problem with critiquing sentences on cases we really know nothing about. Could be valid criticism or it could be unwarranted. Certainly, on its face, that guy should get a life sentence. So, I would hope there was some major issue that prompted a sentence that lenient. Also, hopefully, after the civil suit he goes from being an old rich white guy to just an old white guy.

Last edited:
From Fighting Injustice to Facing Death Row: The Bizarre Case of Pastor Glasgow

A Google search will show that Pastor Kenneth Glasgow first made news in 2001 as the former crack addict and prison inmate who was fretted over by his older half brother, the Rev. Al Sharpton Jr.

The local media in Dothan, a small, unprepossessing city in Alabama’s Wiregrass region, have long followed his story of reinvention from felon to do-gooder who hand-delivered meals, organized unity marches and — in a place where few were willing to speak out — crusaded against brutality and racism.

During the Senate race between Roy S. Moore and Doug Jones last year, Mr. Glasgow gained attention with his effort to register as voters thousands of people with felony records, a campaign that thrilled left-wing groups while outraging Breitbart News.

In March, Mr. Glasgow was charged with capital murder.

The day before the fatal shooting took place, he spoke at the local March for Our Lives for gun control. To an East Coast journalist who has been visiting Dothan for a decade, the idea that this man could be facing death row seemed, if not Shakespearean (tragic and predestined), then perhaps Faulknerian (grotesque and confounding).

First, there were so many people in Dothan who would revel in his downfall. In a place known for the excesses of its criminal justice system, Mr. Glasgow has been the critic in chief of the police, prosecutors and jailers.

And then there is the fact that he did not actually kill anyone.

The police say that a passenger in a car that Mr. Glasgow was driving got out and fatally shot another motorist. Under Alabama’s complicity law, also known as the “aiding and abetting” statute, an accomplice to a crime is just as guilty as the main actor. To make their case against Mr. Glasgow, prosecutors must prove that he knew, or reasonably should have known, that violence was going to occur. He says he had no idea.

The American justice system
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...mes-on-random-black?__twitter_impression=true

Probe found Fla. police chief told officers to pin unsolved crimes on random black people: report

...“If they have burglaries that are open cases that are not solved yet, if you see anybody black walking through our streets and they have somewhat of a record, arrest them so we can pin them for all the burglaries,” Officer Anthony De La Torre said as part the probe. “They were basically doing this to have a 100 percent clearance rate for the city.”
Four officers — a third of the tiny, 12-man force — admitted to an outside investigator that they felt pressured to file inaccurate charges.
De La Torre is the only one that mentioned targeting black people, but former Biscayne Park village manager Heidi Shafran told the newspaper that the orders given to officers were clear. 
“The letters said police were doing a lot of bad things,” Shafran said. “It said police officers were directed to pick up people of color and blame the crimes on them.”
Atesiano abruptly resigned during the investigation in 2014 after a two-year tenure with a impressive crime stats. Only one of their 30 burglary cases had been unsolved, including 19 from 2013, the department boasted."

The Other Side of “Broken Windows”

But what if the authors—and the policymakers who heeded them—had taken another tack? What if vacant property had received the attention that, for thirty years, was instead showered on petty criminals?

Compelling theories, as critics of broken-windows policing know all too well, are often betrayed by evidence. That’s why Branas was so surprised by the findings from their first study, published in the American Journal of Public Health, which showed a thirty-nine-per-cent reduction in gun violence in and around remediated abandoned buildings and a smaller—but still meaningful—five-per-cent reduction in gun violence in and around remediated lots. These are extraordinary numbers, at a level of impact one rarely sees in a social-science experiment.

Equally powerful, Branas said, was that there was no evidence that the violence had simply shifted to nearby places. The declines were real. And they lasted from one to nearly four years, making the benefit far more sustainable than those of other crime-reduction programs. “Honestly, it was a bigger effect than we’d expected to find,” he said.

What the Philadelphia studies suggest is that place-based interventions are far more likely to succeed than people-based ones. “Tens of millions of vacant and abandoned properties exist in the United States,” Branas and his team wrote. Remediating those properties is simple, cheap, and easily reproducible. What’s more, the programs impose few demands on local residents, and they appear to pay for themselves. “Simple treatments of abandoned buildings and vacant lots returned conservative estimates of between $5.00 and $26.00 in net benefits to taxpayers and between $79.00 and $333.00 to society at large, for every dollar invested,” the team wrote. It’s not only more dangerous to leave the properties untended—it’s more expensive.

Philly, along with a number of other cities, has been exploring allowing a safe injection site to operate in the city. DOJ response:

DOJ’s Rosenstein: If Philly opens injection site, U.S. crackdown will be swift

Overdoses increased 34% in Philly in 2017 compared to 2016.

The evidence is clear, Farley said. In countries that have opened supervised injection sites, overdose deaths have dropped.

“Nobody likes the idea of watching someone who is addicted just inject drugs. We want to get all of those people into treatment, but we all have to recognize that, despite all of our efforts, many people are not going to drug treatment.

“In a crisis like this, with as many people dying as we have, it’s worth a try,” he said.

Well fuck, now I'm conflicted because I'm supposed to love Rosenstein.

Grifters gonna grift. What’s his prison reform plan Lectro?

Trump trying to get people to pay attention. He has spoken of prison reform for years and is in need of people like Kim K (love or dislike I approve of her actions in this arena).He is depending on Harvey to get it play and K’s following hardly needs any intro.

The guys in the NBA and NFL should get off their knees and do as he has asked “bring me your concerns..come talk” - the guy has an open door policy with Jim Brown,Shaq and so many others. No reason Lebron can’t go and break bread and talk of “real actionable positions and plans”. He is an open door president.

http://m.tmz.com/#!2018/09/05/kim-k...mp-meeting-white-house-prisoner-drug-charges/

We have to start somewhere on sentencing reform!

Can you name one prison reform policy that Trump has spoken about? Anything at all?

"Sentencing reform" is what got us in the current mess we are in. At the current rate of decline in incarceration, it will take until 2166 for incarceration rates to fall to 1970 rates.

For like 3 months. Still waiting for one of our conservative legal eagles to explain why a rich white guy who invited a 5 year old to his house and raped her only gets house arrest.

That’s the thing about privilege. Even the asshole conservatives who don’t plan to rape a kid one day want to keep the system working in their favor just in case.

I am missing the link here between how bad our legal system is and blaming conservatives. Money plays a huge role in the fairness of judicial outcomes, but are republicans solely to blame for that? Is calling for criminal justice reform something that can't come out of a conservative platform? I don't think so.

Is that a serious question or just some whatabout trolling?

How do you figure conservative reforms would lessen the influence of money and race in criminal justice? If they did that, they wouldn't be conservative.

Last edited:
Is that a serious question or just some whatabout trolling?

How do you figure conservative reforms would lessen the influence of money and race in criminal justice? If they did that, they wouldn't be conservative.

I have a heavy dose of skepticism that any conservatives care about criminal justice reform, but I will say that this quote from conservative governor Mike Parson of MO surprised me:

"The future of Missouri will depend on alternative sentencing," Parson said, according to a news release from his office. "I'm not interested in building any more prisons as governor of the state of Missouri. I am not. I am more interested in getting people through alternative sentencing and getting them into the workforce."

I don't think the modern GOP is capable of this, but there is at least some history of conservative opposition to the expansion of incarceration.

Sure. There are conservative who favor such policies but they break from the vast majority of conservatives and those policies themselves aren’t in line with modern conservatism. Modern conservatives are more interested in making money off prisons than reducing the prison population.

Sure. There are conservative who favor such policies but they break from the vast majority of conservatives and those policies themselves aren’t in line with modern conservatism. Modern conservatives are more interested in making money off prisons than reducing the prison population.[/QUOTE/]
Hilldawg took a lot of cash from private prison companies, so spare me the blame republican tirade.

Back