• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The American Justice System

So your post was just some whatabout trolling. Thanks for making that clear.

Pro tip: If we are having a discussion about what conservatives believe and you throw in one non-conservative and don't talk about conservatives at all, we know you're not serious.

Wow, just seeing that, that is awesome.

Only thing that would concern me a little bit on the list is larceny under $250. How are shop owners suppose to protect their property if people can steal from them with little or no protection from the law? I still think the potential downfalls are worth the overall betterment of society though.

Wow, just seeing that, that is awesome.

Only thing that would concern me a little bit on the list is larceny under $250. How are shop owners suppose to protect their property if people can steal from them with little or no protection from the law? I still think the potential downfalls are worth the overall betterment of society though.

whoa, look at us agreeing on something. On the list being awesome, not on the larceny bit.

Last edited:
Sure. There are conservative who favor such policies but they break from the vast majority of conservatives and those policies themselves aren’t in line with modern conservatism. Modern conservatives are more interested in making money off prisons than reducing the prison population.

I agree. But while I'm certainly not going to defend Catamount's usual attempts at bothsidism, mass incarceration is truly something that neither party have a moral high-ground to stand on, especially when it comes to the Clintons.

So if somebody steals 249$ from you, they're just not going to prosecute it? lol @ that.

I get not prosecuting petty drug offenses and stand alone resist, but not prosecuting misdemeanor break-ins and theft across the board? That seems like it won't end well. Larceny can be a crime of poverty, but you can't give people a blanket license to steal shit.

I am missing the link here between how bad our legal system is and blaming conservatives. Money plays a huge role in the fairness of judicial outcomes, but are republicans solely to blame for that? Is calling for criminal justice reform something that can't come out of a conservative platform? I don't think so.

It's not that it can't come out of a conservative platform, it's that it doesn't come out of the current conservative platform and hasn't for quite some time.

So if somebody steals 249$ from you, they're just not going to prosecute it? lol @ that.

I get not prosecuting petty drug offenses and stand alone resist, but not prosecuting misdemeanor break-ins and theft across the board? That seems like it won't end well. Larceny can be a crime of poverty, but you can't give people a blanket license to steal shit.

The break-ins not being prosecuted are break ins into vacant properties, or to seek shelter or refuge. I.e we are not going to look homeless people up for trying to find somewhere to sleep. That makes a lot of sense, being homeless should not be a crime.

The Senate just passed criminal justice reform

The bill, known as the First Step Act, will take modest steps to alter the federal criminal justice system and ease very punitive prison sentences at the federal level. It would affect only the federal system — which, with about 181,000 imprisoned people, holds a small but significant fraction of the US jail and prison population of 2.1 million.

Essentially, the bill will allow thousands of people to earn an earlier release from prison and could cut many more prison sentences in the future.

The bill has come a long way since it was introduced earlier this year, when a version of it passed the Republican-controlled House of Representatives. Back then, the bill made no effort to cut the length of prison sentences on the front end, although it did take some steps to encourage rehabilitation programs in prison that inmates could use, in effect, to reduce how long they’re in prison. But Senate Democrats and other reformers took issue with the bill’s limited scope and managed to add changes that will ease prison sentences, at least mildly

Let's check in on the no votes:

Sasse is a fucking fraud shithead conservative who likes to paint himself as some reasonable moderate.

Sasse does no such thing. He's just anti-Trump with his basis being Trump isn't a conservative.

I'm surprised Murkowski voted no.

Philly DA Larry Krasner stopped seeking bail for low-level crimes. Here’s what happened next.

“What we had a year ago was not fair. We do not, we should not, imprison people for poverty,” Krasner said. By the district attorney’s count, 1,750 additional defendants were released without bail during 2018, with no increase in recidivism.

Krasner added that he believes the policy is making Philadelphia safer in the long term: “When you don’t tear apart people’s lives, and when you keep them in contact with the things that keep them on course, they are less likely to commit crimes in the future.”

The district attorney’s claims are in part backed up by a study published this week that found the policy shift resulted in a 22 percent decline in the number of defendants who spent at least one night in jail. However, there was no impact on longer jail stays.

More important is that even without the incentive of a bail refund, defendants continued showing up for court in about the same numbers, she noted.

“We find no effect on failure to appear [in court], on violent offending, or on recidivism,” Ouss said.

Freed from prison nine years ago, Brandon Flood is new secretary of Pa.’s pardon board

Taking a break last Monday during his first day on the job for a sit-down interview, the soft-spoken Flood said a number of new initiatives – to not only call attention to Pennsylvania’s pardon process but also to make it easier to apply for one – will hopefully show former inmates that the state is more focused on rewarding good post-prison behavior.

“If they see this [a pardon] as a viable option, they will continue to be productive citizens,” Flood said, who plans to use his own story as a powerful example of that. “They will see there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.”

Flood’s hiring was the brainchild of Pennsylvania’s new lieutenant governor, John Fetterman. Policy-oriented, progressive and looking for areas where he can make a difference in the oft-neglected No. 2 slot, the burly, black-shirted Braddock ex-mayor has honed in on his designated role as chairman of the Board of Pardons.

It's nice to see a tangible result from your vote for lt governor.

Progressive challengers oust longtime prosecutors in Northern Virginia

Both challengers advocated for ending cash bail, stopping prosecutions for possession of marijuana and dropping use of the death penalty in capital cases. Both attacked the incumbents for opposing a 2016 move by then-Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D) to restore voting rights to more than 200,000 Virginia felons.

“I think this outcome is going to encourage a lot more progressive folks to get in races in Virginia,” said McAuliffe, who endorsed both winners. “These were two stunning victories tonight.”

The incumbents in both counties emphasized their long experience and more-moderate approach to reform including efforts such as drug courts.

My initial take is that I'm surprised by some of the reps who voted for it, which seems consistent with the article saying many didn't know the amendment was included.

The AG definitely has higher aspirations politically, and at least felt enough pressure to respond:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/opinion/sunday/opioid-crisis-drug-seattle.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

A rare somewhat hopeful story about Seattle's attempts to end the counterproductive war on drugs and get users into treatment instead.

While the U.S. doubled down on the criminal justice approach to drugs, Portugal took the opposite avenue, decriminalizing possession of all drugs in 2001. It was a gamble, but it succeeded. As I’ve reported, Portugal’s overdose deaths plunged. The upshot is that drug mortality rates in the United States are now about 50 times higher than in Portugal.
It would be difficult to think of a policy that has failed more definitively than America’s war on drugs, sending even small-time users to prison for years. This policy has cost the economy trillions, ruined tens of millions of lives, ruptured the family structure, exacerbated racial inequities — yet we still have a fatal overdose every seven minutes in the United States.

“Legislative and law enforcement solutions to drug problems in the U.S. have consistently caused more harm than they have solved,” noted Alex Kral, an epidemiologist with RTI International, a think tank. Countless studies have shown, he said, that public health approaches work better.

That’s the context in which Seattle took another crucial step in September: Satterberg announced then that he would no longer prosecute cases involving possession of less than one gram of drugs, even cocaine and heroin (one gram is more than a simple user would normally have at any one time). In practice, that means that dealers still get arrested, but not ordinary users.

“Seattle is leading on this,” said Daliah Heller of Vital Strategies, a New York group that examines how to reduce overdose deaths. “It’s extremely significant.”

And in a story which I guess I find disappointing but not surprising, cops in Portland used Photoshop to modify a photo to be used in a photo lineup, producing a probable false identification. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/photoshop-tattoos-oregon/596482/

The dicey behavior began when Portland cops investigating a series of bank robberies felt they knew the perpetrator’s identity: Tyrone Lamont Allen, a 50-year-old whose face is covered by several prominent tattoos.

But there was a problem. None of the bank tellers had noted seeing any face tattoos on the robber. And no tattoos were visible in recovered surveillance footage.

Rather than looking for other suspects, or even proceeding with a photo lineup knowing that the tellers were unlikely to positively identify Allen, the police officers turned to a piece of software to solve their problem.

“They covered up every one of his tattoos using Photoshop,” The Oregonian’s Maxine Bernstein wrote. “Police then presented the altered image of Allen with photos of five similar-looking men to the tellers for identification. They didn’t tell anyone that they’d changed Allen’s photo. Some of the tellers picked out Allen.”

Back