• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tinder and the Dawn of the “Dating Apocalypse”

doubt it. Usually the girls who get down right away are the uggos, just like in real life.

welp, that was a thoroughly disappointing read. i'm sure it's different in some places (I hope?) but damn - I have never been more thankful to NOT be dating right now.

lol

“Guys view everything as a competition,” he elaborates with his deep, reassuring voice. “Who’s slept with the best, hottest girls?” With these dating apps, he says, “you’re always sort of prowling. You could talk to two or three girls at a bar and pick the best one, or you can swipe a couple hundred people a day—the sample size is so much larger. It’s setting up two or three Tinder dates a week and, chances are, sleeping with all of them, so you could rack up 100 girls you’ve slept with in a year.”

this piece is so dumb

Bring all of this up to young men, however, and they scoff. Women are just as responsible for “the shit show that dating has become,” according to one. “Romance is completely dead, and it’s the girls’ fault,” says Alex, 25, a New Yorker who works in the film industry. “They act like all they want is to have sex with you and then they yell at you for not wanting to have a relationship. How are you gonna feel romantic about a girl like that? Oh, and by the way? I met you on Tinder.

“Women do exactly the same things guys do,” said Matt, 26, who works in a New York art gallery. “I’ve had girls sleep with me off OkCupid and then just ghost me”—that is, disappear, in a digital sense, not returning texts. “They play the game the exact same way. They have a bunch of people going at the same time—they’re fielding their options. They’re always looking for somebody better, who has a better job or more money.” A few young women admitted to me that they use dating apps as a way to get free meals. “I call it Tinder food stamps,” one said.

Seems like relationships between men and women are simply a bunch of transactions.

1. go to bar in city known for narcissism
2. ask a handful of drinking 25-32 yr millennials about #internet
3. ????
4. generalizations

There have been so many takedowns of this article since it was first posted. They raise really good points about its flaws

There have been so many takedowns of this article since it was first posted. They raise really good points about its flaws

Post them. It was an entertaining read if only for the descriptions of the people the author interviewed like "70s actress, Swedish tennis players, and lumbersexual."

I mean, yeah, I assume that guys only want sex but that's no different than before dating apps. (this of course coming from the recently dumped girl.)

My fave part about tinder is that the girls who have "not looking for hookups" are always looking for hookups

So as a resident #old, I have a buddy who just found out his wife has been running around on him for over a year. They are done. He is early 40s. If he goes on Tinder, is he going to be banging hotties 2 at a time or wrinkly old spinsters with cobwebs for bush?

I mean, yeah, I assume that guys only want sex but that's no different than before dating apps. (this of course coming from the recently dumped girl.)

Back