• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Indiana offered recent Wake commit Jamal Riggins.

Wake also offered QB Chase Garbers (Newport Beach, CA). Garbers was MVP of the Elite 11 Regionals in L.A. last weekend, so he's likely ready to blow up. Unfortunately, he's also a big Duke fan and Duke is reportedly close to offering. The offer to a QB in California is reminiscent of spring 2014 when Wake looked at/offered a number of California QBs before settling on Kendall Hinton - but then coming back and landing Kyle Kearns in January.

West Virginia has reportedly offered Riggins as well. His second P5 offer of the day.

Hey deac94 whats the word on Hendon Hooker? hes gonna make a commitment soon. think Wake has a shot?

Hey deac94 whats the word on Hendon Hooker? hes gonna make a commitment soon. think Wake has a shot?

It should be Notre Dame for Hooker. He's really blown up with offers from ND, South Carolina, Mizzou, K-State and Virginia Tech in the last 2 weeks.

Germane Crowell is another local kid who has blown up. Scout reported that he picked up offers from Penn State and Florida.

Wouldn't it be nice to "build a wall" around Winston-Salem and Greensboro?

I listened to the new Scout interview with Wake commit Jamal Riggins. I came away more optimistic about holding onto him, but it's a LONG ways to go yet. The interviewer asked him about his more recent offers and he gave a response something like "I might listen to them but...(voice trailed off)" and then paused before the interviewer broke in and said "your coach said you are a very loyal guy" and Riggins nodded his head enthusiastically. Seems like a good natured kid. He had plenty of nice things to say about Wake. I'm hopeful he's a Deacon in February.

I haven’t posted anything significant on recruiting in a while because I haven’t had much perspective to add. Here are a few thoughts:

THE NEXT FOUR WEEKS WILL BE IMPORTANT

I’m watching to see which February visitors make a return trip to Wake before coaches hit the road again on April 15. A second visit likely means they are a top target and mutual interest is high. I expect the single biggest visit day to revolve around the Spring Game, however there will likely also be visitors for the other weekend scrimmage and recruits making mid-week visits during their Spring Breaks. So there will be lots to watch that will reveal who the key guys are.

QB RECRUITING SEEMS WIDE OPEN

Taylor Powell (Fayetteville, AR) remains the only QB with an offer that has visited (note: I consider Maiden, NC’s Caleb Farley to be an ATH, and I’m excluding Hendon Hooker at this point since he appears headed to Notre Dame). 6’3/200 dual threat QB Johnathan Lewis (Jersey City, NJ) will reportedly visit later this month. Other QBs with offers look less likely at this point, but there are several – including recent offeree Chase Garbers (Newport Beach, CA) - that I’m not ready to cross off the list just yet. I’ll feel better about Wake’s chances with Myles Brennan (Bay Saint Louis, MS) – who is another guy that I really like – if/when a visit date is announced.

For things to move forward with Powell, his courtship with Alabama and Arkansas needs to come to an end. He currently does not have an offer from either, but both are clearly interested. Alabama will host Powell this weekend.

Personally, I think there are equal chances that Wake ends up landing Powell, Lewis or a QB that emerges from the Elite 11 process. The QB crop at Elite 11/Miami last weekend was reportedly fairly weak. Some key Elite 11 dates coming up include Dallas this weekend (where Powell will compete), Atlanta on March 20, and Charlotte on April 24. Overall, only 3 of the 14 regionals have taken place, so there will be PLENTY of new names emerging on the national scene.

OTHER NOTES

There are clearly spots open for a QB, TE and at least a couple of DLs (where I expect the staff will be very selective this cycle), however it’s becoming evident that the bulk of the remaining spots in this class are being held for OLs, DBs and WRs that can play the two outside positions. Those three positions have seen the lion’s share of activity recently.

Wake continues to battle for Mike Allen and Yusuf Corker, although both are expanding their offer sheets. Allen added Florida State to a list that already includes most of the SEC schools. However, I think he’s mainly focused on Wake Forest, Tennessee and Georgia. Corker added home state Georgia to his offer list, but continues to favor Wake Forest, South Carolina and Vanderbilt. Neither one appears to be close to making a decision.

I would call Wake the favorite for 3 uncommitted recruits: CB Trey Creamer (who recently added Louisville to his offer list), TE Aaron Hackett and OL Dmitri Emmanuel. Then there’s a long list of recruits where Wake appears to have a solid chance, but it’s just too early to get a clear picture at this point. I’d probably put about a dozen recruits in that category, including local CB Madison Cone.

I saw that a 247 Crystal Ball dropped for DT Ron Freeman to Wake. He’s a teammate of Jamal Riggins and he also attended Junior Day. 247 now lists him as having a Wake Forest offer, but he hasn’t tweeted that news himself, so I would call that situation unclear.

If Trey Creamer goes to Louisville I'll stop watching Wake Football.

Hey Creamy - I work in Cartersville where Creamer goes to school. If I see him, I'll tell him how disappointed you'll be if he doesn't go to Wake.
I'm sure that will seal the deal for him.

Hey Creamy - I work in Cartersville where Creamer goes to school. If I see him, I'll tell him how disappointed you'll be if he doesn't go to Wake.
I'm sure that will seal the deal for him.

Thanks. I'm going to hold you to it. Tell him if he comes I'll change my name to CreamerGoodness. That should seal the deal.

Has the staff given up on QB Daulton Hyatt?

Hyatt stopped mentioning Wake, so one side or the other cooled off. I can't tell whether it was Hyatt or the Wake staff. Right now the most likely destination for Hyatt is Vanderbilt, although he (like Powell) is also in the mix for an Alabama offer and will visit Tuscaloosa within the next week. If either Hyatt or Wake starts losing out on other options it is certainly possible that there could still be a match, but it looks unlikely at this point.

Back