• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

This week looks like another big week for 2017 offers. It appears that Coach Elko is in Florida and Coach Ruggiero was in Mississippi making some visits and extending some offers. So I’ll be adding some new names to my list (the complete, updated list is in the OP) this weekend. I’ll also be adding another 4-star that has had an offer for quite a while. Without those additions, here is a breakdown of the Board as it stood at the beginning of the week (note: I exclude QBs from my totals because their recruitments are just different animals):

BY STATE
Georgia: 15
North Carolina: 6
Virginia: 4
Alabama: 2
South Carolina, New York, Florida and Ohio each had 1.

BY POSITION:
RB: 0
TE: 1
WR: 3
OL: 4
DL: 5
LB: 4
ROVER: 1
CB: 5
S: 4
ATH: 4

Here is who Wake overlaps with the most in terms of offers:
Duke: 11
Boston College: 10
UNC: 6
NCSU: 5
Kentucky: 5
Virginia: 4
Maryland: 4

Finally here is a list of 3 other recruits with Wake offers that I debated adding, but haven’t yet. I’m waiting to see if they visit Wake in the next couple of months.

WR Cody White (Walled Lake, MI) – A Michigan kid that already has 7 other P5 offers, including Big 10 schools like Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa and Indiana. Has already named Wisconsin as his very early leader.

OL Jacob Rimmer (Milan, TN) – Already has offers from Louisville, Miami, Mississippi State, UNC and home state school Vanderbilt. Rimmer is placing a lot of emphasis on academics, so there’s a chance here but Vandy should be tough to beat given he is from Tennessee.

DE Matthew Butler (Garner, NC) – Already has offers from N.C. State, UNC, Duke, Pitt, Virginia Tech and Wake. Has a strong connection to N.C. State and has already visited Virginia Tech and Duke as well. I never like Wake’s chances going against the in-state schools for recruits in the Research Triangle area. Same HS as Nyheim Hines.

All three of those guys seem like long shots based on geography and other offers. I just don't see us pulling in kids from Big Ten country with multiple Big Ten offers. I also agree on getting the triangle kids--if they are going to go somewhere close to home, they're really going to stay home. Still, good to have the info.

All three of those guys seem like long shots based on geography and other offers. I just don't see us pulling in kids from Big Ten country with multiple Big Ten offers. I also agree on getting the triangle kids--if they are going to go somewhere close to home, they're really going to stay home. Still, good to have the info.

I agree these three already look like uphill battles.

It looks like the staff continues to be hard at work this week travelling to what I've called Wake's "secondary" recruiting areas. Based on today's offers it looks like Coach Tabacca has made a trip to Cincinnati again this year. If they are consistent with last year we can expect similar trips to Philadelphia (Scheier) and the NYC suburbs (Cohen, if I remember correctly).

Out there some more with the Big Dogs. Can't say we are not rying!
LSU offered a scholarship to 2017 Florida linebacker Drew White, who attends St. Thomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The 6-foot-1, 220 pounder tweeted, "Extremely excited to have received an offer from LSU!"

The three-star linebacker has offers from Michigan, Cincinnati, Purdue, Illinois, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Iowa State, among others.

White is the younger brother of Auburn redshirt freshman quarterback Sean White.

Out of the offers extended this week I chose six more recruits to add to my list. I always look forward to researching new offerees because there always seems to be interesting info that turns up. This group has one with NFL bloodlines, one former teammate of a 2015 commit, and at least two high-end students (that may be interesting in engineering). Two recruits have strong Cal connections, including one that attends a school in Mississippi that may be developing a pipeline to Cal. However, if you read just one of these summaries, you need to check out LB Dylan Meeks and his HS wrestling career.

All of this info has been added to the OP in this thread.

DE Tyree Johnson (St. John’s College / Washington, DC)
Rating: 3-star (5.6), #2 overall recruit in DC
Other P5 Offers: Maryland, Rutgers and Virginia Tech
Notes: Wake Forest offered on January 28 (Johnson’s 4th P5 offer), but weren’t far behind Virginia Tech (January 21) and Maryland (same day that Wake offered). Athletic pass rusher. Already has some solid relationships with members of the Maryland staff. Plans upcoming visits to Maryland, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest. So far his only visit has been to Penn State. Camped at Rutgers and Ohio State last summer. Could play OLB in a 3-4 defense, but would definitely be a DE at Wake. 21 tackles for loss and 10 sacks in 8 games last season. Attends the same high school that Scotty Washington attended.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4297230/tyree-johnson
Twitter ID: @Tyguwwop_

DE Cortez Alston (Westminster School / Atlanta, GA)
Rating: 3-star (5.5)
Other P5 Offers: Boston College, Cal, Kentucky and Vanderbilt
Notes: Wake Forest offered on January 28 (his 5th P5 offer). Cal offered just one day before Wake. BC and Vandy offered in Spring 2015. Visited UNC and Tennessee this fall. Has a former HS teammate in Cal’s 2015 class.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4194238/cortez-alston
Twitter ID: @CortezAlston_54

OT Matt Sichterman (Kings / Kings Mills, OH)
Rating: Unrated
Other P5 Offers: Pitt
Notes: Wake offered on January 28, just hours after his first P5 offer (Pitt). Very high-end student already has an Ivy League offer (Yale). Reportedly carries a 4.3 GPA and has an ACT score of 30. Was active on the camp circuit last summer, making stops at Wisconsin, Purdue, Northwestern and Kentucky as well two MAC programs. Very athletic OL is also a key player on Kings basketball team. Has an interest in engineering. Looks poised to attract a number of additional offers.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2712938/matt-sichterman
Twitter ID: @mattsichterman

LB Dylan Meeks (Dr. Phillips / Orlando, FL)
Rating: 3-star (5.5). #2 overall recruit in Central Florida by the Orlando Sentinel.
Other P5 Offers: Duke, Indiana, Georgia Tech, Syracuse and Rutgers
Notes: Wake Forest offered on January 27 (his 6th P5 offer), just hours after Syracuse offered. He has named Duke as his early leader. Has built relationships at Duke since attending a camp there before his sophomore year. Despite being only a junior, Meeks is already a two-time state HS wrestling champion who has won 77 consecutive matches and has a career record of 133-2. Older brothers also plays football (Colorado State and Northern Illinois). HS coach credits Meeks with being the “QB of the defense” and a “coach on the field”. His calling card is stopping the run. Well-spoken kid. Meeks will place an emphasis on academics when he makes his college decision. Wants to major in either physics or engineering.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2901507/dylan-meeks
Twitter: @KosherDyl44

TE Chase Rogers (St. Stanislaus / Bay Saint Louis, MS)
Rating: 2-star
Other P5 Offers: Cal
Measurables: 6’4 / 220 at U.S. Army All-America game.
Notes: Caught 84 passes for 1,400 yards and 19 touchdowns. First team all-state by USA Today. Has already named Cal as his leader. Teammates with current Wake QB-target Myles Brennan, who also is viewed as a Cal lean. OL Ryan Gibson, who was a Wake target in the 2015 class, also graduated from St. Stanislaus and is currently enrolled at Cal. Rogers has also said that he is interested in playing college football in Texas.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1396003/chase-rogers
Twitter ID: @ChaseARogers

WR Jordan Pouncey (Winter Park HS / Orlando, FL)
Rating: Unrated by Rivals. #27 overall recruit in Central Florida by the Orlando Sentinel.
Other P5 Offers: None
Measurables: 6’1 / 183, 4.68 40 at Nike-Orlando in March 2015. Overall SPARQ score of 79.
Notes: Wake offered on January 27 (his first P5 offer). Related to the Pounceys in the NFL (cousin). Visited UNC, NCSU, UVA, Clemson and Maryland last summer. Attended Florida’s Junior Day in January.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2930133/jordan-pouncey
Twitter ID: @_pouncey

Last edited:
Hard to imagine a WR Pouncey.

WR Jordan Pouncey (Winter Park HS / Orlando, FL)
Rating: Unrated by Rivals. #27 overall recruit in Central Florida by the Orlando Sentinel.
Other P5 Offers: None
Measurables: 6’1 / 183, 4.68 40 at Nike-Orlando in March 2015. Overall SPARQ score of 79.
Notes: Wake offered on January 27 (his first P5 offer). Related to the Pounceys in the NFL (cousin). Visited UNC, NCSU, UVA, Clemson and Maryland last summer. Attended Florida’s Junior Day in January.
Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2930133/jordan-pouncey
Twitter ID: @_pouncey

Living minutes from this kid. Will check in at a few Winter Park games this fall.

We'll take it, but would have been great to have scored a 4-star.... or two (wishful thinking I know).

But Cutcliffe got three 4-stars at dook and really hate the losing streak to them that will likely continue and to be looking up at them in the standings. :(

The kid's last name is Christ? That seems like a lot to live up to.

553425578_5799d17d8a_b.jpg

We'll take it, but would have been great to have scored a 4-star.... or two (wishful thinking I know).

But Cutcliffe got three 4-stars at dook and really hate the losing streak to them that will likely continue and to be looking up at them in the standings. :(

It is a significant help to Duke that they don't have to play Clemson and FSU every year. We got hosed on that deal.

Grobe ran off 12 in a row over dook, but we're now in a 4 loss tailspin to them and Claws has his work cut out for him to end the slide with dook's #30 rated class and ours at #61. :(

Grobe ran off 12 in a row over dook, but we're now in a 4 loss tailspin to them and Claws has his work cut out for him to end the slide with dook's #30 rated class and ours at #61. :(

meh. even during the 12 game losing streak, Duke's recruiting classes were usually ranked above ours. I think Claws will turn it around soon.

Back