• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Illinois?

Not hard to understand- Grobe hit the pinnacle and then quit on us. QUIT. That is what I hate a bout Jim Grobe. He quit. He did not fall into the pit for any other reason than he was a quitter. A high paid quitter. Threw us all under the bus. Quit. That simple.

Clawson is a good coach. I feel confident he will have success at Wake. Will he win 28 games over a 3 year period? Probably not. That was a confluence of many events. Grobe never had two top 10-15 programs in his division.

Grobe deserves our respect. He took Wake to levels that we had never been to before. And the reality is most coaching tenures end with a whimper.

Judging Clawson now based on the complete lack of offensive talent he was left with is pointless.

Perfect post. Grobe deserves respect in ACC circles because he was the one coach who was able to break through the tripartite voids left by FSU, Clemson and VPI's offensive coordinator. In Wake circles, that three year window deserves genuine reverence. Wake will not see anything like that again. If you count the last quarter century around the State (25*4), 10+ wins and a BCS game is the best football season in 100 seasons. Wake can still be competitive, 8-4ish (and if you think that isn't respectable, take a look around the State), and should aim for getting a top ten win for every four year Wake Forest class that comes through (you have to figure they'll get 2.5 shots a year between CU, FSU, UL and the occasional ND game).

That said, the most loyal Wake fan I know (the kind that still has a Tangerine Bowl team picture framed) was disappointed with the end of Grobe's tenure. I don't believe Jim was a victim of his own success. I do think he quit, and I hate saying that. In a reflective moment and with ten years of perspective to look back on it, I bet there's a lot he would do over. I respect Wellman for calling him out on it (not that that good decision forgives others). Had Grobe regressed to the 8-4 zone, he'd still be the coach. Caldwell-level returns in a post-2008 era are even less tolerable than Caldwell-level results in the Caldwell era, because Grobe had every advantage at his disposal that Wake coaches always ask the fanbase for patience to attain: experienced depth, recruiting credibility and a demonstrated brand rehabilitation; and he still lost. It's just a sad end to the story (but if you want to trade epilogues, Happy Valley is holding on line 1).

Plenty of people have figured out how to lose at Wake Forest. Give Grobe credit for figuring out how to win. Don't let the last chapter spoil the good parts. 30-0 in Tally is the Wake Forest Miracle on Ice.

Last edited:
I bet in 2004 bkf was saying Grobe will never win here - let alone an ACC Championship. Then when he did it, he changed his story to it will never be done again. He is the emo poster of his generation. Wah wah wah.

Eeyore.gif

Wake Forest isn't even Duke when it comes to football. Duke has more resources...and far more football tradition. Even though Duke went thru an extended down period until a few years ago (while with a few scattered exceptions, WF has had basically nothing but down periods for the last 60 years)....Duke has been to 2 Rose Bowls, 2 Orange Bowls, a Sugar Bowl & a Cotton Bowl, among others. Duke had a stretch where they only had 1 losing season over a period of 28 years.

Yeah and Army was a dominant football school decades ago too, what's your point? You've made your opinion known, go take your 2nd afternoon nap and shut up.

Bkf's problem is his football experience is from the leather helmet era when the treatment for concussions was rub some dirt on it and get back in there.

BKF may be wrong 90% of the time but this isn't one of them

Translation: If BKF and sd3 are on one side of things, lay all your money the other way.

Also, BKF using Duke's record from the '40s-60s as a defense of them being a better program than us may be the dumbest thing he's ever posted

Last edited:
I definitely got the sense that Grobe isn't interested in coaching again.

Pretty sure he expressed interest in both Army and UAB. Maybe the lack of traction he got turned him off.

Pretty sure he expressed interest in both Army and UAB. Maybe the lack of traction he got turned him off.

You gotta respect those guys, though, they'd shut down the program to avoid the chance that Lobo might call their plays.

You gotta respect those guys, though, they'd shut down the program to avoid the chance that Lobo might call their plays.

I'd take not having a program over having to watch Lobo call plays again.

1- Jim Grobe is not gonna coach again in D-1
2- Nice to see all the old timers wake up in this thread
3- Let's focus on our current group of players. Might be 4 wins but it will be interesting from week 1 to the last one.

Cheers guys.

Coach Grobe has a 32/11 record against NC schools.
Duke 11/2
UNC 5/3
State 7/6
ECU 5/0
Other NC schools 4/0
Bowl games 3 wins 2 loses
ACC Championships games 1 win 0 loses.

Sounds like HOF to me !

We're going to be shitty this year. But that doesn't mean we can't win in the future, unless you're a clueless old man (or something something App), apparently

Couple of random thoughts:

1. I think RW gets too much credit for bringing about the end of the Grobe tenure. I have no idea what really went down but I find it much easier to believe that Grobe told RW it was time rather than the other way around.

2. A new athletic director will do wonders for attitudes like bkf's. New leadership and fresh ideas are badly needed, and that will reinvigorate the fans.

If I'm an AD of an athletic program with a coaching vacancy, I'm looking at his decision not to take the Arkansas job and it's a huge red flag.

Back