• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jim Grobe to Illinois?

Honest question: does anybody who has seen and heard, or read, interviews with Hatch or Wellman consider them to be the sort of leaders who can lead Wake Forest to either academic or sports excellence?

The problem with the facility upgrades were that they was so overdue, that they are only getting us to position of having adequate facilities, not excellent facilities. The stadium upgrades were long overdue and really not a help that much to recruiting. The on-campus upgrades have been needed for an even longer time and may have an impact on recruiting, but nothing most other schools can't offer.

The JUCO policy has never made sense to me, as I understand it we can only take a JUCO if they would've qualified out of high school, but if a kid goes JUCO, makes good grades and can help on the field, why not take them. If they come and make the grades, who cares if they would not have qualified out of high school, if not cut them loose, they got a chance at least.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I agree the facilities upgrades were overdue - but at least we are doing them now. We can't go back and do them sooner - so all we can do right now is try and catch up.
And your JUCO suggestion is at least SOMETHING. At least that wouldn't involved a major change to our overall admissions policies. There is something to be said for a kid proving he can do the work in a Juco. I don't know for sure but I would guess the hesitation in accepting Juco kids that could not qualify out of HS is that the Juco world is likely fraught with schoolwork that is way easy or non-existent to keep kids eligible. I would assume there is even less oversight at that level than at any level of 4 year college...

If it is true, and he is offered the job, good luck to him. The old Jim Grobe gave us all something to be proud of. He gets a pass from me for the last few years of his tenure. I think that was a fair trade.

Scooter, do you think that people who have eliminated the SAT requirement for acceptance are in much of a position to argue about standards?

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I agree the facilities upgrades were overdue - but at least we are doing them now. We can't go back and do them sooner - so all we can do right now is try and catch up.
And your JUCO suggestion is at least SOMETHING. At least that wouldn't involved a major change to our overall admissions policies. There is something to be said for a kid proving he can do the work in a Juco. I don't know for sure but I would guess the hesitation in accepting Juco kids that could not qualify out of HS is that the Juco world is likely fraught with schoolwork that is way easy or non-existent to keep kids eligible. I would assume there is even less oversight at that level than at any level of 4 year college...

Good points, but if they come in and can't cut it, you cut them. I don't see why we don't at least have the option of bringing one in on occasion. I don't want to sell our soul to complete, but I also think if you're going to play in a power 5 conference you're probably going to have to make some allowances to compete. If you're not willing to do that, play in a mid-major conference or something.

Couple of random thoughts:

1. I think RW gets too much credit for bringing about the end of the Grobe tenure. I have no idea what really went down but I find it much easier to believe that Grobe told RW it was time rather than the other way around.

2. A new athletic director will do wonders for attitudes like bkf's. New leadership and fresh ideas are badly needed, and that will reinvigorate the fans.

I am entirely willing to believe that RW rather than remove redacted, told JG to remove Lobo 3 years too late and JG said that the deal was he called the shots on the asst coaches. RW knew this and was willing for Grobe to go if it meant "buying" more time for Redacted....

I am entirely willing to believe that RW rather than remove redacted, told JG to remove Lobo 3 years too late and JG said that the deal was he called the shots on the asst coaches. RW knew this and was willing for Grobe to go if it meant "buying" more time for Redacted....

Wellman had so much riding on [Redacted], he probably felt he had to do everything he could to give him time to catch lightning in the bottle and have a good season. I don't care how much lipstick Ronny tries to put on that pig, he knows how big a mistake he made by hiring him and he's embarrassed by it.

Scooter, do you think that people who have eliminated the SAT requirement for acceptance are in much of a position to argue about standards?

Seems rather irrelevant. Wake still has standards. Higher standards than it has ever had actually. They are just different than they used to be.

I love it when a poster makes a statement....then immediately adds the word "but" and proceeds to explain why he didn't really mean what he just got through saying.

You see that a lot on these boards.....especially on the political threads.

I love it when senile old people try to use a computer, always good for a chuckle.

Honest question: does anybody who has seen and heard, or read, interviews with Hatch or Wellman consider them to be the sort of leaders who can lead Wake Forest to either academic or sports excellence?

They both have logged significant time in their respective positions. I think it's clear neither will lead Wake to sports nor academic excellence.

Good points, but if they come in and can't cut it, you cut them. I don't see why we don't at least have the option of bringing one in on occasion. I don't want to sell our soul to complete, but I also think if you're going to play in a power 5 conference you're probably going to have to make some allowances to compete. If you're not willing to do that, play in a mid-major conference or something.

This. So much this.

bkf's posts make so much more sense with him on my ignore list.

Someone else already addressed this but I don't think anyone interprets the elimination of the requirement to submit an SAT score as a lowering of our standards. If anything, we were on the leading edge of a trend that recognizes the inherent faults in standardized tests and the fact that other aspects of a student's HS record are actually better predictors of success in college.

I
[/B]
Now, in the first years of Clawson, they will be reminded."

Clawson is recruiting at a high level, relative to Wake recruiting in the past 10-15 years, and seems like he and the staff been developing some intriguing young talent in the off-season. He is definitely living up to my expectations. I like where this team is going and haven't been able to say that for a few years. We may not be good next year, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will be better. I think that we're going to be good again and sooner than you think.

It may be hard to coach at Wake Forest, but Clawson is doing his job and doing it without the bullshit that we came to expect in Grobe's last few years.

You're betting against a young team that hasn't even stepped on the field yet. Just miserable.

Basically, what you are saying is that you don't want to get completely pregnant....but you are perfectly willing to get just a little bit pregnant.

Lowering the standards the first time makes you a whore. After that you are just negotiating the price.

Do you think an athlete should only be recruited and admitted if that same athlete would get in as a regular student?

Clawson is recruiting at a high level, relative to Wake recruiting in the past 10-15 years, and seems like he and the staff been developing some intriguing young talent in the off-season. He is definitely living up to my expectations. I like where this team is going and haven't been able to say that for a few years. We may not be good next year, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will be better. I think that we're going to be good again and sooner than you think.

It may be hard to coach at Wake Forest, but Clawson is doing his job and doing it without the bullshit that we came to expect in Grobe's last few years.

You're betting against a young team that hasn't even stepped on the field yet. Just miserable.

this isn't really true.

from Deac94 on the recruiting thread:

2007: #90 (20 commits)
2008: #58 (17 commits)
2009: #64 (23 commits)
2010: #69 (19 commits)
2011: #70 (14 commits)
2012: #70 (19 commits)
2013: #58 (23 commits)
2014: #59 (25 commits)
2015: #51 (23 commits)
2016: Between #60 and #75 (**projected**)

Were Carl Tacy and Bob Knight's recruits all otherwise admissible candidates, absent an athletic scholarship?

Sorry if covered before, but do you think Wake should be in a P5 conference?

No....and that is where the problem is. WF has no business in the ACC...and wouldn't be in it if it wasn't a charter member.

WF should be in a conference with some schools like Vanderbilt, Villanova, Richmond, Navy, Davidson & Furman, etc. We wouldn't have to sacrifice our integrity in a futile attempt to try to compete. We wouldn't have to spend these ungodly amounts of money on sports programs. There would be good competition among like-minded schools with similar interests and everyone could still have a great time at the games.

The powers that be decided not to be in a conference with Davidson in order to be a charter member of the ACC.

Back