• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LEXINGTON BBQ

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
which are the must go spots?

Also anything else they're worth checking out besides barbecue?

Lexington BBQ (everyone back home calls it the honeymonk) is the touristy BBQ joint that everyone will tell you to go to. I personally always enjoyed the BBQ Center downtown...take a friend and get a banana split.

The only other thing worth checking out is the Childress Vineyards. The uptown area has improved since I was a teenager, but I'm not sure it has changed enough to go any time other than during the BBQ Festival.

Nothing else really worth visiting

Really? Touristy? I've been there a million times and it always seems to be filled with locals.

That Demon Deacons have to ask needs to be in the eulogy for Wake Forest as an in-state option.

There used to be the so called 6 pack but Jimmy's is apparently gone now and it seems like some of the others are past their prime

Really? Touristy? I've been there a million times and it always seems to be filled with locals.

Yeah, the Monk is the touristy BBQ joint in Lexington. That's where all the local travel guides and books say to go. That doesn't mean plenty of locals don't go there...but it's not the consensus best in town among locals as it is outsiders.

My family frequented Cooks, Jimmy's, and Back Country when I was growing up. Will agree with Moonz though, they are all well past their prime. Everything started to slide about the time when the furniture industry skipped town. Lot of places aren't even there any more.

Lexington BBQ (everyone back home calls it the honeymonk) is the touristy BBQ joint that everyone will tell you to go to. I personally always enjoyed the BBQ Center downtown...take a friend and get a banana split.

The only other thing worth checking out is the Childress Vineyards. The uptown area has improved since I was a teenager, but I'm not sure it has changed enough to go any time other than during the BBQ Festival.

So many better wineries to visit than Childress...

I mean clearly if the options are Lexington or somewhere else, then somewhere else is winning. I couldn't get out of that town fast enough. If my entire family didn't live there I'd probably never step foot there again.

I mean clearly if the options are Lexington or somewhere else, then somewhere else is winning. I couldn't get out of that town fast enough. If my entire family didn't live there I'd probably never step foot there again.

I respect the endured agony behind this post.

I respect the endured agony behind this post.

My wife (also from there) and I refer to Lexington as DDG...Death Doom and Gloom. Family dinner table discussions (doesn't matter what family) typically involve who died, who's dying, what business closed, etc.

I had always heard that you send the inquiring Yankeeface to Speedy's, and then go to Lexington BBQ. Lexington BBQ passes the eyeball test as a place that is serious about its BBQ. For all that's right with Speedy's, it doesn't "present" as well as Lexington BBQ.

I had always heard that you send the inquiring Yankeeface to Speedy's, and then go to Lexington BBQ. Lexington BBQ passes the eyeball test as a place that is serious about its BBQ. For all that's right with Speedy's, it doesn't "present" as well as Lexington BBQ.

Speedy's is a weirdly polarizing place when it comes to BBQ in Lexington.

Speedy's is a weirdly polarizing place when it comes to BBQ in Lexington.

It is good, of course, but part of eating BBQ is the social experience. Parker's in Wilson reminds me a lot of Lexington BBQ. When I'm in Speedy's, I feel like the place I'm eating in six months removed (in either direction) from being a nail salon or a video store. The "feel" of a place matters to me. Their food is legit, though.

My wife (also from there) and I refer to Lexington as DDG...Death Doom and Gloom. Family dinner table discussions (doesn't matter what family) typically involve who died, who's dying, what business closed, etc.

DDG describes a lot of American small towns, including my childhood hometown. The internet and big box stores killed off most local jobs except for mining.

Back