• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Wake-Elon GAME THREAD

There were 13 separate guys who caught passes for Wake....

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Newman didn't challenge for a spot next season, but the QB position looks tough right now for the Deacs. Nice to see some talent in the skill spots all over the place on offense. Let's not go sucking each other's dicks yet, but yes, this is what you're supposed to do against an FCS team.

I originally had BUT THIS IS FUCKING ELON at the end of my post but deleted it because #vibes.

Worst case scenario this will allow us to RS Newman.

Was at the game. It was Elon. We did what we should against Elon. I have big concerns about our o line (of course) and Wolford is still too short but we looked much more ready to play than previous seasons. Big takeaway for me is I love Clawson. I still don't think we win a lot of games this year but Claw got everything out of this game that we should have. He knows what the fuck he's doing. #impressed

What's the record for a QB rushing TD at Wake?

The donks on espn 3 said it was the longest run from scrimmage by a Wake QB since '68. If, by some chance they were right, that must have been Freddie Summers. Distance, and whether or not he scored is something I can't find.

The donks on espn 3 said it was the longest run from scrimmage by a Wake QB since '68. If, by some chance they were right, that must have been Freddie Sommers. Distance, and whether or not he scored is something I can't find.

It may have been the longest run by a QB in school history, actually. It's tough to find good data, but the '68 run had a fumble on the play, I think.

The donks on espn 3 said it was the longest run from scrimmage by a Wake QB since '68. If, by some chance they were right, that must have been Freddie Summers. Distance, and whether or not he scored is something I can't find.

Tanner Price had a 79yard run a few years ago but he was headed to his own goal line being pursued by an FSU linebacker.

Reactions: BDL
ACC POTW: FSU's Everett Golson 302 yards passing, 4 TDs

Wolford: 323 yards passing, 3 TDs, 63 yards rushing 1 TD

For those of you (like me) that like getting into the details, here are some notes and observations from the Elon game. I meant to post this earlier but didn’t have time until this morning.

Running Back

The snap count surprised me when I saw it. It was Bell 38, Robinson 25, and Colburn 14. My recollection from being at the game was that Colburn played more than that.

It looked to me like Matt Colburn is more likely to come in the game in short yardage situations and Tyler Bell is more likely to be on the field on obvious passing downs or when the offense is in a hurry-up situation. I’ll be watching tomorrow to see if my theory holds.

Receiver

Pass targets were very evenly divided between the starters: Serigne 5, Brent 5, Lewis 4 and Hines 4.

Chuck Wade’s 4 catches for 70 yards and 1 TD came on just 9 snaps. It will be interesting to see how many snaps he gets against Syracuse.

Offensive Line

The starting offensive line didn’t last very long. It looked to me like Josh Harris was having trouble with the shotgun snaps and he was replaced at Center by A’Lique Terry. Harris and Hayworth then rotated at left guard. Harris ended up getting 46 snaps and Hayworth 45 snaps.

I thought the run game was more effective when they ran to the left, regardless of whether Hayworth or Harris was in the game. That seemed to be where the holes were (when there were any).

When I rewatched the game I saw the same thing that I recalled from the watching the game in person – the offensive line was able to create a pocket for Wolford to work from. Hopefully they can do the same against better defenses.

Full credit to the two redshirt freshmen tackles for going penalty free against Elon. Overall Haynes and Herron seemed to play well, but they combined for three bad reps that led directly to negative plays. On one play, Haynes failed to block a D-lineman on his left shoulder, instead turning to block a player that he thought was on his right shoulder. The problem: there was no lineman on his right side. So he stood in a blocking position while the other d-lineman was released and recorded a tackle for loss. Haynes also whiffed on an outside pass rush that resulted in a Wolford sack. Herron had one play where he was faced with having to decide between blocking two pass rushers. He somehow ended up blocking neither and Wolford was dropped for a bad sack. I think these type of bad reps are completely expected from the young guys and I expect we will see more like that tomorrow. All a part of gaining experience.

Defense

Take a guess at which player saw the most snaps on defense. Surprisingly it was Cameron Glenn. He saw a lot of time with the starters. My guess is that one of the starters may have come out of the game with an injury, but I’ll be keeping an eye on him tomorrow. Glenn had a good game – 5 tackles (4 solo) and a pass breakup.

I know that the media picked up on the lack of pass rush from the d-line. It was evident and worrisome. Leading up to the season I know there was a lot of buzz about our front seven. I don’t see it – at least not yet. I see two talented linebackers, but the d-line looks weak to me. At least rushing the passer. Hopefully they improve as they mature, or when Tylor Harris (who played only 6 snaps) and Duke Ejiofor get healthy.

The DEs getting the most reps against Elon: Dunn (rSOPH) 31, Stewart (rFR) 26, Calhoun (FR) 25 and Shaw (rFR) 13. That’s a lot of youth at that position. Dunn, Shaw and Calhoun each had one solid QB pressure, but the final stats were telling – those four combined for zero sacks and just one QB hit.

Zack Wary and Josh Okonye look like they will be staples this year on third down passing situations. Watch Zack Wary tomorrow in these situations. He has a cool role. They line him up all over the place, but most often as a wide pass rusher. He was very effective against Elon. I counted three effective pass rushes in the limited snaps that he was on the field.

The DBs were unexpectedly the defensive stars of the game. The corners had 4 solid pass breakups (Watson 2, Gaulden 1 and Austin 1) but I saw a number of solid tackles from that group as well. Snaps were divided as follows: Watson 42, Gaulden 27 and Austin 25. Austin seems to be the third corner, ahead of Thomas Dillon (9 snaps).

Thanks 94. I'll be looking for these trends on Saturday. As for the OTs, 'cuse probably will challenge them with formations to make them make mistakes.

Last edited:
Was tabari and chuck wade ever in the game at the same time? 2 slot WR formation?

In Rashawn Shaws QB pressure he looked extremely fast and I have high hopes for his future.

Thanks 94. I'll be looking for these trends on Saturday. As for the OTs, 'cuse probably will challenge them with formations to make them make mistakes.

Agree that this will be a concern.

Great post, 94. Thanks. You should start your own thread for these ongoing observations.

Back