• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Elon Post-Game Thread (41-3 Wake Forest win)

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
Let's keep the discussion going right here. Going to go over to the WFU Gameday app and listen to the post-game.

Barring injuries, this team can possibly win 5-6 games this season and next year could be a LOT of fun!

I was impressed with so few mental mistakes from such a young team. Also, the running backs look very promising and Hinton offers legitimate depth at QB.

We had 13 players catch passes tonight. 13!!!
591 total yards
Kinal averaged 49.3 yds on 4 punts

pretty good stats overall

A very nice opening game. Thought the OL still had problems but did better than last year. RBs made some nice runs, but we lacked consistency. I don't think our pass rush ever got to the QB, but you can't complain about how the defense dominated the game.

As others have noted, it's good to see a coach not pack it in with a large lead. We kept running our offense giving Hinton some meaningful experience.

It'll be interesting to see if we can move the ball well against 'Cuse, or whether this was just Elon.

How long was the Kinal punt from near our end zone? 70-75?

They said 70. It got considerable hang time.

Wolford gives a good interview. He sounds like a coach.

Officially it was a 70 yd punt
However, on the replay, he kicked it from his own 2 or 3 yd line and the ball was spotted on the Elon 16.
ie. the ball travelled over 80 yds.
It also looked like he was rushed and didn't get everything into the kick.
Amazing.

Yeah wanna say I counted it 73. He got a decent bounce but if the ball hadn't veered off it could've rolled another 15 yards and been over 90 yards. Either way that dude is a beast!

Officially it was a 70 yd punt
However, on the replay, he kicked it from his own 2 or 3 yd line and the ball was spotted on the Elon 16.
ie. the ball travelled over 80 yds.
It also looked like he was rushed and didn't get everything into the kick.
Amazing.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2015-2016/wf0903.html#GAME.DRV

W 1-10 W09 WAKE FOREST drive start at 01:34.
W 1-10 W09 Robinson, I rush up middle for no gain to the WF9 (M. Wright).
W 2-10 W09 Robinson, I rush draw play for 4 yards to the WF13 (C. Blair).
W 3-6 W13 Wolford, J sideline pass incomplete to Hines, T (J. Silas).
W 4-6 W13 Kinal, A punt 70 yards to the ELON17, downed.
--------------- 3 plays, 4 yards, TOP 01:33 ---------------

From the seats:

We are much better than last year - whether that will bear itself out in wins, who knows
I really like Bell and Colburn. They move the pile when they run
Line will still be an issue and we are thin there.
I was impressed with Brent (outside of the one horrendous drop on the comeback). It's nice to have a big target

I'm a little underwhelmed by ST outside of Kinal. If we don't get touchbacks, our coverage is pretty suspect. I missed the good punt return in the 3rd

haven't really kept up with the depth chart too much but will Kearns get any action?

Also, since him & hinton are different styles, any chance we see a two qb system down the road?

It's nice having skill players with speed and hands

We did get touchbacks. The kickoffs were good enough not to risk the spot on the 25. That's all you need nowadays.

Hines is an upgrade at KR/PR.

Geez. Hunter Williams gives a good interview, too. Sounds like a coach as well.

Lots of good signs but lets see how we do in the Carrier Dome

Back