• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Elon Post-Game Thread (41-3 Wake Forest win)

Damn straight. I haven't been on here in months and was compelled enough by those horrendous jerseys to let it be known - anyone who thinks those things look "cool" or "super neat-o" should probably rethink going out in public because you probably look like a schmuck as well based on your judgement.

All black. Like they were. The all black was one of the best home jerseys in college football. Why turn it into some area football shit.
I agree. Those uniforms are awful.

From what Clawson said about RB by committee, I'm guessing Rocky will play if Clawson thinks Rocky can either take the job outright or contribute to the committee.

Is Rocky redshirting? Or has he been hurt?

The official word from the Coach's show last week is that a decision on whether to redshirt Rocky will be made later this month. It will depend on how quickly his ankle heals and how the current RB-committee performs. The issue is less about his camp performance and more about the fact that he has missed too much practice time. He simply may not be sufficiently prepared to play as a true freshman.

For the record, it is basically the same deal with Amari Henderson and his hamstring. Amari was doing really well before he got hurt. No final decision has been made on his status for this season.

I wonder if a player like Rocky has had an ankle injury preventing him from playing early and is consequently redshirted, is he eligible for a "medical redshirt"?

That would be determined should he get injured again and miss a season and seek a sixth year.

To state the obvious: WF is improved. Really happy with the coaching staff; love their energy on the sideline.

Wolford is a solid QB. He is accurate; he has reasonably quick release and he throws a decent deep ball. He is also a better athlete than most give him credit for. Realize it was against a bad FCS team, but that 70 yard run was impressive.

Really happy with the cornerback play. With the loss of two studs, that was a huge concern on D, but they looked very solid. Again, the eval needs to be tempered because the corners were matched up against Elon's receivers, and not FSU's, but still their play was solid. The defense will lead this team again. WF tackles very well.

Running game remains a concern. Still not a big fan of the shotgun running scheme as it takes so long for the backs to start running down hill, and the line didn't get a whole lot of push. I thought the OL did a reasonably good job of pass-blocking, but WF had major problems handling the blitz pickups. The backs were particularly weak at staying on blitzing LBs. Cuse and every other opponent is going to blitz the hell out of our offense until we can make them pay for it. Got to believe that blitz pick up is going to be the major point of emphasis for the O this week.

While the defense was really solid, the pass rush was not great. Even when WF brought additional pressure, we didn't get as much pressure as you would expect against an inferior foe like Elon. Definitely concerned that teams with mature OLs while have a lot of time to throw against us.

As stated above, WF dominated a weak team. While not deserving of a parade, there have been many editions of WF football that would have muddled through an ugly win against Elon. This team did not. Kudos.

Love the direction that the program is going. The team is so young; got to think that the pieces WF is currently missing (pass rush; sturdy OL; mature running game) will develop over the next two years. If WF football was a stock, I would buy.

I mentioned this earlier but wasn't we without two starting DL including our top pass rusher in Ejifor?

Ok didn't notice Harris, but the other I was talking about was Ejifor who Clawson has claimed is our best pass rusher.

What was the story with the 638 yard explosion against UNC in 1968? That came at a time when college offenses were not particularly potent, and when WF football was not particularly strong. IIRC, Dooley was the coach of UNC then, and he does not seem like the kind of coach that would be prone to having his team give up a massive amount of yards to anyone let alone LOWF.
IIRC, Wake came out and hit UNC square in the jaw and kept hitting. Every running back gained yards. Freddie Summers couldn't miss and the receivers caught everything thrown to them. Everything worked. I believe we went up 48-0 and cruised from there to a 48-24 victory. Never worried about a Carolina comeback, we just enjoyed the beat down. Bill Tate's last year as coach and best victory.

Those new golden sleeves with the WF design have to go. Why can't we wear the same uniforms we wore in 2006!

UNC was bad that year - only won one conference game. It was Dooley's second year at UNC. His predecessor had really let things go downhill, and Dooley inherited a pretty bare cupboard. UNC was 1-6 ACC, 3-7 overall. Wake had Freddy Summers, a dual threat QB. Second best passer in the conference, and top ten in rushing attempts as well. Third in rushing TD's.

Back