• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mr. Robot: Final season airing Sundays on USA

I loved the first nine episodes. The last one ... less so. I understand it knowing that they are setting up for the next season, but it almost felt like they had two episodes ready - one for if they didn't get picked up for a second season, and one for if they did. It also seemed a bit heavy-handed on things that they let the viewer figure out on their own before.

But yeah, shades of Fight Club, and also of Memento. I totally want to re-watch to see what I missed the first time through.

Man, to each their own. I thought the last episode is what elevated the series to an entirely different level.

Sadly it's one of those things where it only works the first time you watch it - but the sense of confusion the viewer experiences along with Elliot - and how it fractures the whole structure of his narration/voiceovers... I thought it was pretty brilliant.

BTW, I'm glad I didn't erase the last episode, I didn't realize there was a scene after the credits until I read about it today.

BTW, I'm glad I didn't erase the last episode, I didn't realize there was a scene after the credits until I read about it today.

That scene's really interesting too. I read some discussion elsewhere that if they're setting S2 up to be a retelling of Nero's Rome, then E Corp is just about to get a whole lot stronger.

I loved the first nine episodes. The last one ... less so. I understand it knowing that they are setting up for the next season, but it almost felt like they had two episodes ready - one for if they didn't get picked up for a second season, and one for if they did. It also seemed a bit heavy-handed on things that they let the viewer figure out on their own before.

But yeah, shades of Fight Club, and also of Memento. I totally want to re-watch to see what I missed the first time through.

Not to e-argue, but they were picked up for a second season before season 1 premiered.

BD Wong was also excellent on Awake, a show that lasted one season on NBC but probably would have had more legs on cable.

Mr. Robot Season 1 Discussion (S1 spoilers herein)

Just finished the season. Great show. I have no idea what is going on, but that makes me love it.

Okay, so watched the premiere of Season 2 and this show is even more fucking crazy and weird than last season. I have no idea what is happening and I dig it.

I had a suspicion about what was going on in the season 2 premiere and I googled something about it and stumbled across a detailed reddit theory about it and it almost ruins it a bit because it's so good it's basically a spoiler. If curious just google reddit theory mr. robot and it will come up immediately (it's in the headlines of some articles written about it, which i think is kind of bunk). if it turns out to be what i think it is and what the theory supports, it's not a completely novel trope but brilliantly done nonetheless. no one would have seen it unless they understood what type of show this is from season 1.

Okay, so watched the premiere of Season 2 and this show is even more fucking crazy and weird than last season. I have no idea what is happening and I dig it.

Dude. There is some SHIT going on.

I remembered why I fell in love with this show the other day. I hadn't rewatched S1 leading up to the S2 premiere, and while I remembered what happened, I also thought that I had loved that season for the crazy plot twists or the acting or the chaotic mindfucks, but no. Those things are all great, but I love this show because of its attention to detail, and the S2 premiere had that in fuckin' spades. And, yeah, the general unease and tension and atmosphere, I love all of that too, fine.

Like, look at this.

My favorite touch is that the pyromaniac was burning a copy of Waiting for Godot in her red wagon. That's that good shit.

I had a suspicion about what was going on in the season 2 premiere and I googled something about it and stumbled across a detailed reddit theory about it and it almost ruins it a bit because it's so good it's basically a spoiler. If curious just google reddit theory mr. robot and it will come up immediately (it's in the headlines of some articles written about it, which i think is kind of bunk). if it turns out to be what i think it is and what the theory supports, it's not a completely novel trope but brilliantly done nonetheless. no one would have seen it unless they understood what type of show this is from season 1.

That's a pretty common theory, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. Hell, I thought of that independently when I was watching the premiere the other day. I think that's what Esmail wants us to be thinking, honestly. He wouldn't have included the line from the psychiatrist ("why your mom, specifically?") if he wanted it to fly under the radar as a theory.

Same as all of the people floating the "Leon isn't real" stuff, which I think also has to be what Esmail wants us to think. There's no other way to read the Elliot/Leon scenes so far, IMO.

That's a pretty common theory, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. Hell, I thought of that independently when I was watching the premiere the other day. I think that's what Esmail wants us to be thinking, honestly. He wouldn't have included the line from the psychiatrist ("why your mom, specifically?") if he wanted it to fly under the radar as a theory.

Same as all of the people floating the "Leon isn't real" stuff, which I think also has to be what Esmail wants us to think. There's no other way to read the Elliot/Leon scenes so far, IMO.

are you talking about:

the last scene from s1 is a knock on the door at elliot's and it's really the police/feds, and the s2 premiere he's in jail/institutionalized and everything we're seeing is just an immersive psychotic break from reality from elliot's POV

I dig what they're doing with this show and one can make a case for it being "the best" but I have to pump the brakes on adding the word "easily". Out of GoT, The Americans, Fargo, The Leftovers and sometimes Better Call Saul, plus whatever I'm forgetting off the top of my head, my "the best" is whatever I viewed last, nothing easy about it.

The Americans is the best show on TV, and honestly, I don't think it's particularly close.

are you talking about:

the last scene from s1 is a knock on the door at elliot's and it's really the police/feds, and the s2 premiere he's in jail/institutionalized and everything we're seeing is just an immersive psychotic break from reality from elliot's POV

Mostly, yeah. I was talking independently of the last S1 scene, though. I just think it's an easy way to read the setup with his room and the authority figure and, well, all of the structure. I also don't think that theory applies to "everything we're seeing," just probably the scenes with Elliot in them.

Easily the best show on TV and I'm a huge Game of Thrones fan.

I dig what they're doing with this show and one can make a case for it being "the best" but I have to pump the brakes on adding the word "easily". Out of GoT, The Americans, Fargo, The Leftovers and sometimes Better Call Saul, plus whatever I'm forgetting off the top of my head, my "the best" is whatever I viewed last, nothing easy about it.

The Americans is the best show on TV, and honestly, I don't think it's particularly close.

I hesitate with putting Mr. Robot in this discussion yet, because I want to see the long game here (in terms of story). I think the other shows mentioned have earned trust in what they're doing, but I don't know that Mr. Robot has. I also think that Esmail's gimmicky direction could age poorly, and that it might be unsustainable for multiple seasons. I dunno, I might be wrong about that.

I do think that Mr. Robot S1 was the best S1 I've seen from a show in years, maybe since Mad Men.

Mostly, yeah. I was talking independently of the last S1 scene, though. I just think it's an easy way to read the setup with his room and the authority figure and, well, all of the structure. I also don't think that theory applies to "everything we're seeing," just probably the scenes with Elliot in them.

Well of course I'm not talking about the scenes with Darlene or Angela.

But overall with that theory everything works out too well as to how it explains all of the oddities of elliot's situation to where no other explanation would be as good or make sense. Esmail may not be trying to hide it very much, you could see Mr. Robot/Christian Slater was a Fight Club type situation early on in s1, but to me this felt a little more concealed.

Back