• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mr. Robot: Final season airing Sundays on USA

I hesitate with believing it full stop, though. Esmail has shown a couple times now that he likes toying with viewer expectations, so it could very well just be him fucking with us. Same with the Leon thing.

I hesitate with believing it full stop, though. Esmail has shown a couple times now that he likes toying with viewer expectations, so it could very well just be him fucking with us. Same with the Leon thing.

what's the leon thing?
it's just his friend in jail and that's why they have every meal together and watch the inmates play basketball in the yard everyday. craig robinson's character is a prison guard that knows why elliot is there and is enlisting his help for something illegal requiring his skills.

The Leon thing is that he's another delusion, a la Mr. Robot. Leon only really interacted with Elliot, except for the thing with him and Craig Robinson's character. If you go back and watch that scene again, notice how Elliot immediately fades into the background when Leon steps in. The dialogue from Leon in that scene makes a loooooot more sense with that interpretation, too. Then Leon disappears for the rest of the episode, even when Elliot returns to the court.

I dunno, it could be nothing, but I definitely feel like we're meant to at least understand it as a possibility.

that i could see as esmail fucking with the audience, as it seems not to add much dramatic value to the show to try to run that same exact plot point again, nor would that surprise be very rewarding imo... especially if that's just a small part of this large imaginary world he's constructed.

what's the leon thing?
it's just his friend in jail and that's why they have every meal together and watch the inmates play basketball in the yard everyday. craig robinson's character is a prison guard that knows why elliot is there and is enlisting his help for something illegal requiring his skills.

Just finished watching it for the first time. There is a lot that supports this theory aside from what's been mentioned. The dog. The agreement with Krista. The tone of the meeting with Gideon.

Last scene, the Mr. Robot reveal was a Trojan horse for the Darlene reveal. I expect something similar here. The theory is right. And there's something bigger we will completely miss.

Fishing out pills from puke made me a level of queasy I don't think I've felt since Trainspotting.

Man, what in the shit is happening? Still admire the ambition, but eager for the story to coalesce a bit.

Agree. It's about time for the show to be building to a specific thing.

Season 1 was a great mix because you had the insanity and unique visual flourishes (and Rami's great performance) coupled with a coherent linear story.

This entire season so far has dropped the second half of that, so you're just mostly trapped in the bleak head of a crazy person. I think they've lost their way a bit. I'm still optimistic but I'm starting to feel a little like I got as Orphan Black went on (I'm not bailing like I did on Orphan Black, but the story needs to kick in somewhat to balance the performance & direction).

That's a good take, Eagles. Sepinwall's latest review criticizes the length of the episodes in that it allows scenes to go on too long. I agree. I actually only watched the first hour of Wednesday's ep Wednesday night because I watched after DNC coverage and got tired.

Bumpy. I'm still enjoying this show. The 80s sitcom thing was weird and I didnt like it at first, but by the end it was cool and I dug it. Probably went on a little too long, like mentioned above. The Alf thing was legit tho.

I loved season 1, but I am struggling with season 2. episodes are starting to pile up on my DVR. Should I stick with it?

Glad they finally gave up the obvious twist. Looking forward to the Darlene level twist this season.

Interesting bit from Sepinwall's interview with Esmail:

By sending Elliot to prison, you also spend the first half of the season with him physically separate from the other characters, give or take a brief visit by Gideon or Darlene. What did you see as the advantages and disadvantages of having him apart from the rest of the ensemble, other than Mr. Robot?

Sam Esmail: I'm glad you asked that question. Obviously, knowing we were doing this, it was very important for Elliot to address this incredibly internal conflict that sprung on him at the end of the first season: that he has an alter ego that he can't control. That was the first and foremost issue that I wanted to tackle with Elliot. So of course the isolation of him being in prison really helped that. It meant that we get to basically do this deep dive into his internal battle with his demons. There is not much else for him to do. He couldn't escape it. So it was great on that level. I knew it was going to be a polarizing choice to go in this direction with Elliot, but for whatever reason, it felt organic and natural. But when I took a step back and looked at the whole season, I realized that, when I think about the sequels that I really love, or second acts of movies or larger stories, they tend to do this: to go into this inward battle after accomplishing this big Herculean hero's journey. The one uncanny similarity — which I only realized in hindsight — is Empire Strikes Back. At the end of the first movie, you take down the big band, the revolutionaries kind of win, but the second movie opens, they're still battling, they're still struggling, the Empire is rebuilding, and literally Luke goes off to another planet for most of that movie to learn to become a Jedi, while his sister is still out there fighting the good fight. This wasn't something planned, but I looked at it and realized we were literally following that same pattern. And it's not just with Empire Strikes Back. It's Godfather Part II. There's a lot of introspection that happens. That's often the next stage after this huge externl conflict comes to an end. Then it's, "Well, then what?" It's a hangover moment, of reflection and going inward. So that direction made sense for our story.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...lains-season-2s-big-twist#YxjBZBxRCis1jIxr.99

Last edited:
No. Likely Ray and his buddy worked in the prison and recruited Eliot to work on his website. Leon is a Dark Army spy in the prison or at least their inside contact.

It was good to see Craig Robinson playing this kind of role. It was kind of like Anthony Anderson as the antagonist in Season 4 of The Shield.

Mr. Robot Season 2 Discussion (Wednesdays on USA)

Ah ok, I'm getting it now. Yeah, Robinson is good but his comedy chops are so great that it's still a little odd to watch, for me. But great branch-out

Back