• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Moses Malone

that sucks. Loved his Fo Fo Fo mantra when the sixers were sweeping through the playoffs.

Sad. 60 is too young. Dude was an amazing player. Grew up very poor in Petersburg - he really did need the money when he went pro out of HS, although I think he attended MD@Alaska for like a week. One of the underrated all-time greats.

When Lefty Driesell took the job at MD, he said he was going to make MD "the UCLA of the east". If he had gotten Malone on campus, he might have done it.

Truly great player. Very sad.

I got to watch Moses play beat Dave Koesters and his West Springfield Spartans in the state semis in 1972 (or 73?) and then again in the Capital Classic All-Star game in 1974. He was at a completely different level than the others!

It's Bill Willoughby that needs to get a physical ASAP. Until the deluge of high schoolers started, the answer to the trivia question of "who went pro straight out of high school?" was Malone, Dawkins and Willoughby.

RIP big Mo. He had a stretch of about 5 or 6 years where he was as beastly a big man as I've ever seen.

I met him this summer for the first time and ran in the same circles at a couple of charity events. We joked at a baseball game tonight in July that he was back in playing shape. You just never know.

Cool you got to meet Moses. Where had he been living these days?

That 1983 76ers team was pretty awesome after they had traded for Moses. They had Cheeks, Dr. J, Toney and Jones. They didn't sustain it, but that team was fantastic that year and just bludgeoned their way through the playoffs.

That 1983 76ers team was pretty awesome after they had traded for Moses. They had Cheeks, Dr. J, Toney and Jones. They didn't sustain it, but that team was fantastic that year and just bludgeoned their way through the playoffs.

That was a great team. IMO, Andrew Toney is a very underrated all-time guard. He could flat fill it up.

He spent quite a bit of time around Richmond. IIRC, he always kept a place in Petersburg.

Back