• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who do you blame for the loss yesterday?

I blame myself for reading this stupid thread.

I've been watching Wake football for 4 decades and Saturday's lose was just the latest in a very long line of similar defeats. Unfortunately except for a few years of that 4 decades WF stands for "We Fail" instead of "We Finish."

No air in Dome, heat, Grobe leaving no offensive players for Clawson, defensive backs

No air in Dome, heat, Grobe leaving no offensive players for Clawson, defensive backs

Seemed like it was the Syracuse players cramping up Saturday toward the end of the game. However, we certainly looked drained late in the 3rd and 4th quarter.

That's basically what I've been saying here for a long time....and I've been watching WF football in 7 decades. (1st game was a WF 13-7 win over NC State @BGS in 1958.)

It will be interesting to see if you catch all the grief that I catch for saying basically the same thing.

Yeah but I have hope, you don't.

That's probably because I am evidently more realistic than you. I've watched WF football thru 57 years, 12 coaches & 3 athletic directors. I feel that gives me a pretty good sample size from which to form a realistic opinion about its ultimate long-term potential.

ETA: During those 57 years, WF only had back-to-back winning seasons 4 times....and only during the 2006-08 miracle run did one of those back-to-back winning seasons involve a year when we won more than 7 games:

1970 & 1971: Cal Stoll....6-5 & 6-5
1987 & 1988: Bill Dooley....7-4 & 6-4-1
2001 & 2002: Jim Grobe....6-5 & 7-6
2006 thru 2008: Jim Grobe....11-3, 9-4 & 8-5....something that will never be seen again

Whatever, you can feel the way you want to, I can feel the way I want to.

You just know that bkf is sitting by his TV pulling against Wake because he would rather come here and flame the board with his nonsense than have his alma mater win.

Also note that two of our last three coaches have had back to back winning seasons. CLEARLY IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

Last edited:
LOL.....and the last time a coach other than Jim Grobe had back-to-back winning seasons at WF was 27 years ago. Probably half the posters on this board weren't even born then.

BKF, I don't even know what you think you are arguing against? No one here has ever said Wake was going to turn into Alabama. As far as I know, all people are saying is that there is no reason we can't be competitive. And there really isn't. Heck, if our season win totals go something like 4, 5, 7, 6, 4, 8, 7, 5, 8, 6, 4... etc. most of us would be quite happy... We just want to go to bowl games on a regular basis - not every year - and maybe luck into an 8 or 9 win season every once in a while.

Your argument is basically that it hasn't happened in the past so it will never happen. I am not sure that is a valid argument. Anyway, it actually has happened before, just not very often.

Did you even read the post you quoted or did you just go straight to your library of copy/paste posts? There's nothing unreasonable about that goal.

If you're throwing out 06-08 you might as well throw out our bowl futility from the fucking 50s and 60s where there were like 10 bowls.

Why am I responding to this shit? I've been around long enough to know better.

Back