• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who do you blame for the loss yesterday?

Grobe is still the GOAT so far as I'm concerned. Granted, my fandom of Wake Football runs from 2003-Present, so not exactly a great sample size.

I do think they got comfortable with their Jacksonville pipeline and in reality, most of those kids weren't good enough to play at this level. Those classes were huge misses, and it killed us.

I also recall hearing from someone "close to the program" that toward the end, there was basically only one coach that could competently go into a home and recruit.

This thread is asinine. Grobe has been gone since December 2013; yet, essentially every week, some feel compelled to beat the same dead horse that was smashed to a pulp more than a year ago. Let the Grobe hate go; the material isn't new; everyone that posts here as had an ample chance to give their opinion about Grobe ad nauseum literally. Let it go. To those that feel it helps Clawson to keep brining this up, it doesn't. Move on.

This thread is asinine. Grobe has been gone since December 2013; yet, essentially every week, some feel compelled to beat the same dead horse that was smashed to a pulp more than a year ago. Let the Grobe hate go; the material isn't new; everyone that posts here as had an ample chance to give their opinion about Grobe ad nauseum literally. Let it go. To those that feel it helps Clawson to keep brining this up, it doesn't. Move on.

The effects of his last few years of "recruiting" will be felt for a couple more seasons. Its completely relevant to the current situation.

orange in va

conan-bowing.gif

Jim grobe was the head coach during 13 of those 27 years major logic fail. It would impossible for another coach to have back to back winning seasons while grobe was the coach.

You shouldn't have posted this. BKF won't respond to you now.

If you have a poor FG kicker with a really low probability there and are facing a 4th and 15 or 20 from the 35, does probability say go or punt?

Is the extra 15 to 30 yards in field position greater value than the probability of converting and going on to score?

Okay. If a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass.

But, in the situation to which I referred, we had 4th and short yardage and decided to punt at a pivotal moment in the game.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the he quit coaching in 2008 theory. The group that gets no credit is that 2011 team. Finishes 6-7 but 2nd in the ACC and if they kick a FG against Clemson probably wins the division two years before he steps down. Just didn't take care of a tough non-conference schedule. Looking back, that team had quite a few NFL guys on it as well which is opposite to the he quit recruiting theory. I am like anyone else in that I want Wake to be great year in and year out and shoot for that. However, a season that you play in a good bowl game against an SEC team and almost win your division, beat FSU and NC State at home, and have a great atmosphere where you almost beat Notre Dame is a great year for a Wake fan.

In the end, Grobe had back to back seasons where close games and conservative strategy that worked in the past didn't work and he stepped down. Always was first class in the public eye and represented Wake well. It was probably time to go and he went.

Eh, I wouldn't call our OOC schedule particularly tough. Grobe did an awful job coaching against it though. Notre Dame was decent at 8-4 (a pretty weak 8-4 though), but Syracuse and Vandy had combined conference records of 3-12.

Eh, I wouldn't call our OOC schedule particularly tough. Grobe did an awful job coaching against it though. Notre Dame was decent at 8-4 (a pretty weak 8-4 though), but Syracuse and Vandy had combined conference records of 3-12.

It's still Syracuse and Vandy, not Elon and Presbyterian

You can count the number of in home visits made by Grobe the final few years on one hand.

He absolutely quit recruiting.

I still revere him as our greatest football coach ever, but it was time to move on.

The season that really disappointed me was the final year. That option idea was awful and a desperate grasping at straws.

That was one of the worst coaching ideas scheme wise I've ever witnessed. To make it worse was it started in spring ball, so they had lots of time to realize it wasn't going to work. It wasn't like something you have to come up mid-season because of key injuries or something. How any coaching staff could've looked at our roster and thought, "let's put the option in," was terminable mistake. That was when it became undeniable that Grobe had lost interest, because any head coach that paid attention to his team would've known that was a terrible idea and told Lobo te option stuff had to go.

Just my opinion, but I disagree with the he quit coaching in 2008 theory. The group that gets no credit is that 2011 team. Finishes 6-7 but 2nd in the ACC and if they kick a FG against Clemson probably wins the division two years before he steps down. Just didn't take care of a tough non-conference schedule. Looking back, that team had quite a few NFL guys on it as well which is opposite to the he quit recruiting theory. I am like anyone else in that I want Wake to be great year in and year out and shoot for that. However, a season that you play in a good bowl game against an SEC team and almost win your division, beat FSU and NC State at home, and have a great atmosphere where you almost beat Notre Dame is a great year for a Wake fan.

In the end, Grobe had back to back seasons where close games and conservative strategy that worked in the past didn't work and he stepped down. Always was first class in the public eye and represented Wake well. It was probably time to go and he went.

Stop stop stop - you're making too much sense!

Stop stop stop - you're making too much sense!

As I kind of alluded to above, I think the last year was what really left bad tastes in a lot of our mouths. It was a shame Camp didn't get to go to a bowl in his senior year and I think if it were not for the option garbage at the start of the year, we might have had a shot.

As I kind of alluded to above, I think the last year was what really left bad tastes in a lot of our mouths. It was a shame Camp didn't get to go to a bowl in his senior year and I think if it were not for the option garbage at the start of the year, we might have had a shot.

Agreed. Him going down with injuries his junior and senior years didn't help either. Our offense did little to nothing without him save for the 2014 Vanderbilt game.

Looked back into it a little more:

2012:

We were 3-1 going into a Duke game where Camp got injured in the 1Q. We are upset this game and fall to 3-2.

We then have 8(?) players suspended for a very winnable game at Maryland where we lost by 5 after a few missed field goals and getting stuffed at the 1 yard line. 3-3.

We win 2 out of the next 3, one of which on the road at UVA. 5-4.

Then we get smacked twice on the road, one time to the #1 team in the country, and (most frustrating of all) get smacked by Vanderbilt on our home field with a chance to go to a bowl.

2013:

We're 4-3 playing at Miami, the #6 team in the country, and fall in the last seconds. 4-4.

The very next week, we fly to an opposite part of the country and Campanaro gets taken out by a cheap shot personal foul on a punt at Syrcause. We fall on our faces that game and get smacked by the National Champions a week later. 4-6.

We fight valiantly against #24 Duke but lose by a TD. We take James Franklin's last Vanderbilt team down to the final seconds despite not having anything to play for other than pride. 4-8.

ETA: The option did cost us 2 games against BC and ULM in weeks 2 and 3. This was also very frustrating

Last edited:
That's basically what I've been saying here for a long time....and I've been watching WF football in 7 decades. (1st game was a WF 13-7 win over NC State @BGS in 1958.)

It will be interesting to see if you catch all the grief that I catch for saying basically the same thing.

7 decades is 70 years. Your first game would have been 1945. ;) That Wake/State game was probably one of my first games but I was pulling for State at the time since my father was a big State fan.

1. 50s
2. 60s
3. 70s
4. 80s
5. 90s
6. 00s
7. 10s

Though to be fair, I kinda doubt bkf has watched many games in the past two decades.

Back