• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / FSU Game Week Discussion Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
Here are some stats and observations from the Indiana game. (Note that I’m not trying to pretend like I have the level of football background that many others on these boards have, but I do enjoy going back through the game replay and trying to provide whatever insight I can. Hopefully some of you find the info interesting or useful)

Offense – Overall
The offense created 5 plays of 20 or more yards. That compares to 6 against Syracuse and 4 against Army. On Saturday 3 of these plays came in the 4th quarter. The big plays this week were:
1Q - Hinton to Chuck Wade for 29 yards on a screen pass
2Q – Colburn 21 yard run
4Q – Hinton to Cam Serigne for 29 yards on a crossing route
4Q – Hinton to Cam Serigne for 20 yards on a sideline pass
4Q – Hinton to Tabari Hines for a 29 yard touchdown on a post pattern

Quarterback
I won’t try to add much to the discussion on Kendall Hinton. A lot has been covered on this board already. My bottom line is that going into the season I was very downbeat on Hinton’s potential to contribute THIS YEAR and he has very much exceeded those expectations. I am very excited about where he is at this stage of his development. Obviously the 41% completion percentage on Saturday was disappointing but I didn’t count very many passes that were badly off the mark. Certainly the back-to-back passes that were badly underthrown in the first quarter (first to Cortez Lewis and then to KJ Brent) and then a pass that was badly overthrown to Brent in the 2nd quarter, but I don’t think there were that many other passes in that category. I think when he gets more comfortable and keeps his mechanics consistent (especially when under duress) you will see that completion percentage increase.

Running Backs
It was notable how few carries they get when Hinton was in the game. Bell, Colburn and Robinson combined for just 9 carries and 36 yards. If you take away Colburn’s 21 yarder, that group was just 8 for 15 on the remaining carries.

Offensive Line
Each time I watch a replay I keep track of negative plays by the offensive line. Since I am far from an expert I count only the obvious breakdowns. Here is my negative play count from last Saturday (by lineman):

Dylan Intemann – Five negative plays (a QB hit when he was beat by an inside move, two false start penalties, a DL was turned loose when he was too slow to slide to his right and a key 4Q breakdown when he was defeated by a spin move that freed a DL to pressure Hinton into the pick-6)
Phil Haynes – Four negative plays (a 1Q breakdown that led to Hinton being tackled for a loss, an outside rush that led to a QB hurry, a DL that got past him to bat down a Hinton pass and an outside pressure that initially forced Hinton out of the pocket on the pick-six play)
Josh Harris – Two negative plays (a 1Q holding penalty and a 3Q tackle for loss)
Justin Herron – Two negative plays (a 1Q QB hit and a 3Q sack)
Ty Hayworth – Zero negative plays

Probably the worst fact about the OL performance is that Indiana really didn’t have to blitz to create pressure. Most of the damage came on 4-man rushes. On a positive note, the OL does create a pocket more often than I remember last year. Also the left side of the line seems to be doing better than you would think. I think Herron will grade out OK in this game. He had a very nice block on Hinton’s first TD run. One final note is that Haynes seemed to be hurting badly late in the game. He was clearly limited by some type of leg injury.

Defense – Overall
Saturday was somewhat reminiscent of the some of the defensive performances that we saw late in the Grobe tenure. The Indiana running back got to the second level fairly easily and when he did he was often able to gain 2-4 yards after initial contact from the linebackers and safeties. Missed tackles showed up more than I remember in the Clawson tenure. Power running backs are difficult for a 4-2-5 defense to handle and will continue to be a challenge unless the DL can provide more help in run support.

The most positive note about the defensive performance is that they allowed only 4 plays of 20 or more yards and none after the 1st half. That’s an important stat in my mind.

Missed tackles (VERY unofficial count): Gaulden (3), Janvion (1), Dancel (1), Watson (1), Yarbary (1), D. Davis (1), and Kemp (1)

Defensive Line
It is remarkable how few plays the D-Line is able to impact. Remarkable. At best, they might get a weak arm tackle on a running back that slows him briefly. Pass rush continues to be nearly nonexistent. Is it possible that this is the weakest unit on the team? The final stats for the DL: 2 solo tackles (?!?), 0.5 tackles for loss, zero forced fumbles, zero sacks and 1 QB hit.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that Tylor Harris batted down a pass attempt. Probably the biggest impact play from this unit on Saturday.

Linebacker
Many of the biggest plays on defense come when they blitz Marquel Lee up the middle. He had three impact plays – all in the first half – when he shot through a gap and made a key play (one sack, one QB pressure and one tackle for loss that was cleaned up by Wendell Dunn). However, he was called for an offsides penalty in the first half when he mistimed his rush.
Lee left the game with 12:02 left in the third quarter with an apparent shoulder injury. He returned to the game but continued to receive attention from the trainers and I believe was absent down the stretch. The defense clearly needs Lee to be healthy and effective.

Rover
I am eager to see the snap count between Demetrius Kemp and Hunter Williams. Similar to the Army game, I think Kemp saw a number of snaps and he may have worked his way into a full fledged committee. In general, I like what I see from Kemp when I watch the replays.

Safeties
The safety position ended up being somewhat of a revolving door during the game. Thomas Brown was a late scratch due to an ankle injury suffered in the Army game. Ryan Janvion suffered a concussion in the first half and was replaced by Cameron Glenn. When fellow starter Zach Dancel also left with a concussion he was replaced by third team safety Deonte Davis.
Before his departure, Dancel was not having a good game. He was badly beaten on a post route for a 2nd quarter touchdown. He also dropped a potential interception and missed an important tackle deep in Indiana territory when he overran a receiver. On a more positive note he did have a solid 4Q run stop when he penetrated through traffic and make a good tackle.
I’ll admit that before I watched the replay I worried that Cameron Glenn was one of the players that came up short in run support but after watching the tape I think he did well. He was willing to play physical and I think the staff will be happy with what they saw.

Please feel free to provide a similar breakdown of IU's play.;) Would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to provide a similar breakdown of IU's play.;) Would be much appreciated.

Just move along. Deac94 is ours and we're not sharing him! :D

Last edited:
Any word on Janvion going forward?

Both Dancel and Janvion had concussion symptoms. Will both go through concussion protocol. Not sure if both got actual concussions but Clawson said After the game that if there is even the slightest hint that a player has a concussion then he is done (for that game).

Dancel and Janvion both struggled badly. Janvion taking bad pursuit angles multiple times and the dropped INT. Dancel (again) attempted to make an INT that allowed a WR to break free for a large gain.

Intemman was LOL bad on Saturday. His false starts were killers

Found it interesting that Goren actually interviewed Intemman post game given the false starts, etc. :confused:

The elder statesman of the group shouldn't be making the penalties.

Found it interesting that Goren actually interviewed Intemman post game given the false starts, etc. :confused:

Dave is a nice guy and I appreciate what he does for Wake, but he's just not good at interviewing the players and coach. The questions he asks are often head scratchers.

Love the analysis. So good. Lee's injury and the D-line's play (or lack of quality play) is a huge concern for this week. Realize that WF has a miniscule chance anyway, but really don't like the idea of facing FSU without Lee (or with Lee limited) and without Brown. Who played in Lee's spot when he went out?

Looks like Hayworth has been a pleasant surprise and has graded out pretty well.

Love the analysis. So good. Lee's injury and the D-line's play (or lack of quality play) is a huge concern for this week. Realize that WF has a miniscule chance anyway, but really don't like the idea of facing FSU without Lee (or with Lee limited) and without Brown. Who played in Lee's spot when he went out?

Grant Dawson, I believe.

Vegas wants to guard against a Hinton back door cover.

Everyone (should have) expected the O-line to be awful.

The d-line is more worrisome to me. Bill Connelly started doing weekly advanced stats this year and Wake is 110th in D-line havoc rate.

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2015-wake-forest-advanced-statistical-profile

Harris and Banks have been dealing with lingering injuries that go back to the spring I think, that could explain why we haven't been better up front in the middle. I know Clawson was really high on Duke at DE as a pass rusher and he hasn't been able to get over a preseason concussion to get on the field. The defense is still pretty good this year, but not as good as last year, especially with KJ and Bud gone. I think what we're seeing is that it just simply takes longer to get better up front on both sides of the ball in a rebuilding phase.

Dave is a nice guy and I appreciate what he does for Wake, but he's just not good at interviewing the players and coach. The questions he asks are often head scratchers.

And he asks them awkwardly. I like Dave but this is not his strength.

Back