• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Regional Director of Development for WFU athletics Department

BWELLS21

Reaction score
Long time WFU fan here. Dad and two brothers went to Wake. I just applied online for the position listed in the title of this post. I have a background in business development and it has always been a dream of mine to work with Wake Forest's athletic department for the good of the university. I however have no experience in working with athletics on a university level. I have only been involved in athletics as a participant in high school and coach of my 4 boys in grade school. Anyone have suggestions to get a "foot in the door" for an interview?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Good luck following your dreams. Prepare to get an earful from a whole bunch of disgruntled fans who aren't interested in giving a dime until the stench of the [Redacted] era wears off.

It did not say who I would report to.

anigif_enhanced-17907-1442875400-2.gif

I worked in college athletics for 15 years before getting out this past May. For a position like this, having a background in athletics isn't necessary. This is a fundraising position, not one that requires you to know the X's and O's.

For any job in college athletics, as with most jobs today, it is all about who you know. Do you have someone that can put in a good word for you, especially with whoever runs the Deacon Club (I am guessing this position will work for the Deacon Club)?

What is going to be key for you in this position is showing that you are personable and can raise money.

Important question. Bubba or Bonzi? I don't remember either wearing #21.

Anyone have suggestions to get a "foot in the door" for an interview?.

Pray the AD shills pass along this post to the hiring manager.

I'm sure they could always use another person on the inside.

Make sure that when you put together your job talk that bullet point number one is that you will actively and aggressively try and take down ogboards. Second bullet point will be the delivery of DV7's head on a platter. If you mention those two things you are in.

Use the word culture a lot. They even managed to squeeze in a whole fucking culture section on the facilities donation website.

Learn about the hierarchy of university development. University folks think it is unique regarding the way they have to work together across different segments of the university.

Just learn to say, " Yes, Ron," "That's a great idea, Ron," and " I couldn't agree with you more, Ron," and you'll do fine.

Long time WFU fan here. Dad and two brothers went to Wake. I just applied online for the position listed in the title of this post. I have a background in business development and it has always been a dream of mine to work with Wake Forest's athletic department for the good of the university. I however have no experience in working with athletics on a university level. I have only been involved in athletics as a participant in high school and coach of my 4 boys in grade school. Anyone have suggestions to get a "foot in the door" for an interview?
Thanks in advance for your help.

To give a serious response, I think a background in development is way more important than a background in college sports for this position. The issue you're going to run into is the fact that this position is going to get hundreds of applicants so you need something to differentiate you. Are your dad or brothers members of the Deacon Club? If so get them to call their rep put in a good word for you. Same if you know anyone who knows anyone in the Deacon Club, especially Barry Faircloth as I'm sure he will be the one making the hiring decision here.

These type of positions are always tough because there are usually people with strong Wake athletics connections in the mix (for example Naz-T Deac or members of Wake's ticket sales team), but if you have some kind of connections yourself, it's probably not impossible

To give a serious response, I think a background in development is way more important than a background in college sports for this position. The issue you're going to run into is the fact that this position is going to get hundreds of applicants so you need something to differentiate you. Are your dad or brothers members of the Deacon Club? If so get them to call their rep put in a good word for you. Same if you know anyone who knows anyone in the Deacon Club, especially Barry Faircloth as I'm sure he will be the one making the hiring decision here.

These type of positions are always tough because there are usually people with strong Wake athletics connections in the mix (for example Naz-T Deac or members of Wake's ticket sales team), but if you have some kind of connections yourself, it's probably not impossible

Thanks MysteryMen. Working on that as we speak.

Back