• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Traffic Advice DC Area

Classof82Deac

Reaction score
Hello fellow Demon Deacons,

I went to Washington, DC the weekend of August 29th and apparently on Sunday evening the 30th, I drove through a 25 mph speed zone at 39 mph. I never saw a 25 mph speed limit sign, but granted I was lost with no GPS, and was having a difficult time keeping up with limited road signs, traffic lights, pedestrian traffic, and my speedometer while trying to find my way out of DC and onto I-66 west. Yesterday, I received a ticket in the mail from the DC Metropolitan Police. I'm 55 years old and have never had a speeding ticket before. The DC Police state that points will not be assessed, my insurance company says otherwise.

It's a 7 hour drive from where I live in nw NC to DC. Like anyone else, I would like to take care of this ticket the least expensive way possible. I don't know anyone socially from the DC area, particularly attorneys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! GO DEACS!

I neither took the bar nor stayed at a holiday inn express last night. However, I thought you could not get points bc they could not confirm if it was actually you driving you car. They just want the cash.

Yeah, the speeding cam tickets in DC are basically parking tickets. I've gotten probably 15 of them and have never heard a peep from insurance or the DMV. Just google "pay DC parking ticket" and follow the link. Enter you license plate number, select the ticket, pay and you're done with it forever.

Yeah, the speeding cam tickets in DC are basically parking tickets. I've gotten probably 15 of them and have never heard a peep from insurance or the DMV. Just google "pay DC parking ticket" and follow the link. Enter you license plate number, select the ticket, pay and you're done with it forever.

This

Yeah the cameras are bullshit but just follow the instructions and pay the ticket. My biggest complaint was they put one on my wife's route to work, but didn't mail the tickets until she had accumulated three of them. Seems like they could just let people keep getting banged on them for months. I realize you should see the camera eventually, but the spot they put that one was in an inconspicuous location at the bottom of a hill.

Are the multiple cars in the photo? If so, you can fight it on the grounds that they have no proof that your car was the one the camera determined was speeding

Are the multiple cars in the photo? If so, you can fight it on the grounds that they have no proof that your car was the one the camera determined was speeding

The success rate on that defense is probably .000001%. You also run the risk of them doubling it for "not paying in time" despite filing the complaint and then you have to file another complaint about the fine doubling unjustly. Success rate on that is about 50%. Just pay it and give in to the racket.

The success rate on that defense is probably .000001%. You also run the risk of them doubling it for "not paying in time" despite filing the complaint and then you have to file another complaint about the fine doubling unjustly. Success rate on that is about 50%. Just pay it and give in to the racket.

There was an article in the WaPo about how the people looking at the photos pretty much just arbitrarily pick a car when deciding who to send the ticket to...given that, I think you'd have a decent chance of beating it

Tell them it is physically impossible to reach 39 mph inside Washington, DC in a car heading South on a Sunday.

The cost-benefit analysis of deciding to fight the ticket will not work out in your favor. I would just pay it. If you're 55 and have never had a speeding ticket (amazing in this day and age when it's about quotas and revenue and not safety), it's not likely to seriously affect your insurance rates, if at all.

I would not even have called your insurance company. Many but not all states are happy to report moving violations to the DMV or equivalent in the state where you live, and from there the report makes it way to your insurer. In cases where this does not happen, I don't think you have any affirmative obligation to self-report, though I guess it might depend on the terms of your policy. Would be interested in others' thoughts on this point.

As you stated originally (and is stated on the DC Police website), points are not assessed for camera enforced speeding tickets. I don't see how your insurance company could possibly say otherwise and go against that.

Automated Speed Enforcement FAQ

What if I wasn't driving my car?

The vehicle owner is responsible for all automated enforcement tickets issued to the vehicle, regardless of who was operating the vehicle at the time of the violation. Please review the ticket for Information on how to answer the violation or make payment. However, if the vehicle or the license plates were stolen at the time the violation occurred, please provide a copy of the complete police report with your adjudication request. No points are assessed for automated enforcement tickets.

Got one of these when visiting friends in DC a couple years ago. I paid it and forgot about it - did not affect my insurance policy (I'm in NC as well).

Back