• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake v. FSU game thread.

Put a scare into #11 Free Seafood U- we're getting closer to being a good team every week.

We should get a few W's ahead with this same improvement week to week. :)

So damn proud of this group. Bunch of 18-20 yos scaring the shit out of big bad FSU.

So true.
Really proud of these guys.
They're young, working hard and definitely getting better.
Maybe most important is they now think they can win and expect to win.
Other than 1 big play today, we played FSU pretty even.
I think we surprise a few teams later this season.

This game reminded me of the Nebraska game, except we knew then that we could play well. Big step forward for the program. Larry Collins was reported to be at the game. We should be telling him that he's the missing piece to beat these bums next year.

Was at the game.

Observations
-We totally outplayed FSU but gave up the big play.
-OL, running game, and Hinton looked really good.
-Kicking field goal on 4th and inches, down by 11, with 4:00 to go was awful, awful, awful call.
-Refs totally missed the face mask against Hinton. We saw it from the stands.
-A lot of clock mismanagement at end of half and game.
-FSU fans are aholes.
-We are getting pretty good and may surprise some folks.

All I asked for was a respectable game today. I got it.

FG was deftinely the right call. Kept us in the game. Very well played game by the deacs. Clawson is going to have us playing very competitive football very soon.

Except if you got the TD first, we wouldn't have to be throwing in the end zone and getting intercepted. 4th and 1 that far in the red zone you gotta go for it. Kicking a field goal ensures a moral victory and that's about it.

Was at the game.

Observations
-We totally outplayed FSU but gave up the big play.
-OL, running game, and Hinton looked really good.
-Kicking field goal on 4th and inches, down by 11, with 4:00 to go was awful, awful, awful call.
-Refs totally missed the face mask against Hinton. We saw it from the stands.
-A lot of clock mismanagement at end of half and game.
-FSU fans are aholes.
-We are getting pretty good and may surprise some folks.

Not so sure.... At that point we had to make it a one score game. If we don't get the first down - ballgame over. Even if we score a TD then FSU still gets the ball with less time on the clock and a couple of first downs ends the game. It certainly worked out in our favor - two passes to Cam that barely missed, if he catches either one then we're a 2pt play away from a tie.

Except if you got the TD first, we wouldn't have to be throwing in the end zone and getting intercepted. 4th and 1 that far in the red zone you gotta go for it. Kicking a field goal ensures a moral victory and that's about it.
Totally agree. I love Clawson but that was an awful call.

The big difference since Hinton stepped in is our rushing attack has improved exponentially.

Not so sure.... At that point we had to make it a one score game. If we don't get the first down - ballgame over. Even if we score a TD then FSU still gets the ball with less time on the clock and a couple of first downs ends the game. It certainly worked out in our favor - two passes to Cam that barely missed, if he catches either one then we're a 2pt play away from a tie.
After kicking the field goal, everything had to go in our favor just to tie. You go for the win. Especially on 4th and inches.

When it's a two score game, and you can either go on 4th or kick a FG for one of the scores, you nearly always take the FG. While it might not have been the best call -- I'm not saying either way -- it wasn't a wrong call. No way you can criticize Clawson there.

After kicking the field goal, everything had to go in our favor just to tie. You go for the win. Especially on 4th and inches.

fair enough - but when you're primarily a shotgun team 4th and 1 can be an adventure... especially with a sub 6ft QB. Not to mention a QB who wasn't moving well.

When it's a two score game, and you can either go on 4th or kick a FG for one of the scores, you nearly always take the FG. While it might not have been the best call -- I'm not saying either way -- it wasn't a wrong call. No way you can criticize Clawson there.

Correct. Nearly every coach is going to take the extend-the-game option there as opposed to it potentially ending if you don't convert

No, Stratt, after kicking the field goal, only 3 things had to go our way to tie, stop them, score TD and make 2pt conversion. If we scored TD, we still have to have 3 things go our way, 2pt, stop them, hope to make FG from wherever on a windy day. BUT, if we missed on 4th down, 5 things had to go our way, stop them twice, score twice, and make 2pt conversion unless you thought we would score two TDs on them.
IN CLAW I TRUST!

Anyone hear Tylor Harris in postgame? Said we are going to run the table. Love the confidence.

Correct. Nearly every coach is going to take the extend-the-game option there as opposed to it potentially ending if you don't convert

that doesn't mean it's the correct decision

Anyone hear Tylor Harris in postgame? Said we are going to run the table. Love the confidence.

Two back to back games in which we didn't quit when we were down. Can't say that about the last few years of Grobe. I love the direction this team is going. Also have to be honest..... I LOVE SEEING CLAWSON GOING BALLISTIC ON THE REFS!

that doesn't mean it's the correct decision

Agree. I'm a huge CLAWSIN guy, but some of the 4th quarter decisions had me scratching my head. You play to win the game there. Gotta be more aggressive.

That officiating crew was terrible. There was a moment during the confusion of the incomplete/fumble situation in the second half when the ump after signaling incomplete stood in the middle of the field with his hands out like "I have no idea what is going on". Summed up their day well.

Probably missed it in the thread, but wtf was up with #17 and #8 switching numbers?

Back