• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Week 5 NFL Thread: Coming Out Guns Blazing

but the NFL is saying that for one month it's ok/encouraged to wear pink socks, cleats, sweatbands, etc. What's the harm in doing it year-round when you already do it for a quarter of the season anyway as a league-sanctioned thing?

And in Williams' case the NFL is actually trying to capitalize off of his choices by that chick-geared Football is Family commercial with him talking about wearing pink all year round.

but the NFL is saying that for one month it's ok/encouraged to wear pink socks, cleats, sweatbands, etc. What's the harm in doing it year-round when you already do it for a quarter of the season anyway as a league-sanctioned thing?

Maybe they want everybody on the same team to be wearing the same thing. Also known as a uniform.

for one month out of the season that's part of the uniform, therefore not that distracting during the other months. no one would give a shit if he had on pink socks.

for one month out of the season that's part of the uniform, therefore not that distracting during the other months. no one would give a shit if he had on pink socks.

Then they should work to get it in the next collective bargaining agreement that all players can wear whatever fucking socks they want on any given Sunday and they can write personal messages on their face.

defs a worthwhile cross to die on here, biff

again, the things the NFL does give a shit about make so much less sense than the things they don't

defs a worthwhile cross to die on here, biff

again, the things the NFL does give a shit about make so much less sense than the things they don't

And once again: Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle. Jesus, Townie, are you off your meds? Call a kid Dick Wash out of one side of your hole and then jump on the pink sock train out of the other.

Really ? So players in other sports can just throw in whatever accessory they like for each and every game ? This is not an NFL "problem."

And once again: Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle. Jesus, Townie, are you off your meds? Call a kid Dick Wash out of one side of your hole and then jump on the pink sock train out of the other.

Really ? So players in other sports can just throw in whatever accessory they like for each and every game ? This is not an NFL "problem."

DSD, I have no idea what you're talking about. If anything, there's a consistency between "lighten up noobs, it's a funny nickname" and "lighten up, NFL, it's eye black/pink socks."

As for other sports fining players for uniform violations, it's really not even close. In fact, I challenge you to find a list of MLB, NHL, or NBA uniform violations 1/10th as long as the first page of Google search results for the NFL this year. In fact, 8 or 9 MLB team uniforms are in direct violation of MLB laws about using a baseball in the logo/design of the uniform. The MLB knows enough not to GAF. You're way off base here.

And the larger point stands, that the NFL cares way too much about tiny shit like this and way too little about concussion protocols (which it fails to fine players for intentionally violating) or so many of the larger issues facing the league. It's emblematic of the NFL's concern. Distract from narratives about lifelong injury and death or domestic abuse or cheating. Sell 2 hours of ad time per game, fine people for pithy shit, and watch the $ roll in.

While I agree that it's fairly simple to follow league rules regarding dress code, and players are willing to incur fines when it comes to matters like that or celebration penalties, it's still a worthwhile critique of the NFL.

DSD, I have no idea what you're talking about. If anything, there's a consistency between "lighten up noobs, it's a funny nickname" and "lighten up, NFL, it's eye black/pink socks."

As for other sports fining players for uniform violations, it's really not even close. In fact, I challenge you to find a list of MLB, NHL, or NBA uniform violations 1/10th as long as the first page of Google search results for the NFL this year. In fact, 8 or 9 MLB team uniforms are in direct violation of MLB laws about using a baseball in the logo/design of the uniform. The MLB knows enough not to GAF. You're way off base here. No I'm not. there's a difference between enforcing the rules that apply to players wearing the uniform and the league enforcing the appropriateness of a single franchise' uniform design. Also, the NFL has more players on the roster than any other sport. And, maybe players in other sports just follow the fucking rules better.

And the larger point stands, that the NFL cares way too much about tiny shit like this and way too little about concussion protocols (which it fails to fine players for intentionally violating) or so many of the larger issues facing the league. It's emblematic of the NFL's concern. Distract from narratives about lifelong injury and death or domestic abuse or cheating. Sell 2 hours of ad time per game, fine people for pithy shit, and watch the $ roll in. Doesn't matter. Red herring.

While I agree that it's fairly simple to follow league rules regarding dress code, and players are willing to incur fines when it comes to matters like that or celebration penalties, it's still a worthwhile critique of the NFL. That's fine. Critique away.

Above.

As for other sports fining players for uniform violations, it's really not even close. In fact, I challenge you to find a list of MLB, NHL, or NBA uniform violations 1/10th as long as the first page of Google search results for the NFL this year. In fact, 8 or 9 MLB team uniforms are in direct violation of MLB laws about using a baseball in the logo/design of the uniform. The MLB knows enough not to GAF. You're way off base here.

And the larger point stands, that the NFL cares way too much about tiny shit like this and way too little about concussion protocols (which it fails to fine players for intentionally violating) or so many of the larger issues facing the league. It's emblematic of the NFL's concern. Distract from narratives about lifelong injury and death or domestic abuse or cheating. Sell 2 hours of ad time per game, fine people for pithy shit, and watch the $ roll in.

While I agree that it's fairly simple to follow league rules regarding dress code, and players are willing to incur fines when it comes to matters like that or celebration penalties, it's still a worthwhile critique of the NFL.

More like: "I like to call young men, Dick Wash but not to their face, just behind my keyboard" and "look at me on my high horse again, crusading for the good of pink sock everywhere"

the real problem is that only about 8.5% of profits from pink NFL gear actually goes back to breast cancer research.

No I'm not. there's a difference between enforcing the rules that apply to players wearing the uniform and the league enforcing the appropriateness of a single franchise' uniform design. Also, the NFL has more players on the roster than any other sport. And, maybe players in other sports just follow the fucking rules better.

Doesn't matter. Red herring.

That's fine. Critique away.

This is so dumb.

Look at the history of MLB, NBA, and NHL fines for uniform violations. Every other league issues multiple warnings to players before fining them. The NFL is weirdly strict about such a non-issue because they're perpetually in the business of nickle-and-diming their players over dumb shit. The reason you don't hear about it it in other sports is because the rules are far less strict and the leagues use their discretion a lot better.

It's fine if you don't want to discuss uniforms in the larger context of league rules, but it's not a red herring to compare the enforcement of fines for this completely harmless penalty vs the enforcement of fines for potentially dangerous situations.

Your bro in law is doing an even worse job arguing, though, so I'll leave it at this agreement to disagree.

Meh it was a much bigger deal when the NBA made a rule to not allow shorts below the knee and a dress code off the court of play. Recently they also banned the tights. Pretty sure they also have sweatband rules

Last edited:
Meh it was a much bigger deal when the NBA made a rule to not allow shorts below the knee and a dress code off the court of play. Recently they also banned the tights. Pretty sure they also have sweatband rules

To the tune of a 1 time, $1000 fine for a dozen players. Who won on appeal.

The dress code off the court stuff I will concede is dumb, but the NBA gets so much right it's hard to argue when they do enforce petty stuff (which they rarely do).

To the tune of a 1 time, $1000 fine for a dozen players. Who won on appeal.

The dress code off the court stuff I will concede is dumb, but the NBA gets so much right it's hard to argue when they do enforce petty stuff (which they rarely do).

Except, of course, profits and ratings. But sure.

I also personally blame Manny Ramirez's and Fat Bastard's unregulated pants below the cleats phase for the decline of baseball's popularity.

david-ortiz.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

If the NFL really wanted to get it right, they would start fining players for wearing flat-brimmed hats on the sidelines. Kaepernick looks like he just got fired from Arby's on a regular basis.

What difference does it make what other leagues do ? The NFL rules are for the NFL players.

But I don't think the NBA is going to let D'Angelo wear a pink headband though.

Back