• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

VA Speeding Ticket Question

deacfan78

Reaction score
Got a speeding ticket in Emporia, VA a couple of weeks ago. 77 in a 60. I live in NC and have heard that I can just pay the ticket without it effecting my insurance or adding points to my license since it happened out of state. Is this correct?

NC will suspend your license. Get a lawyer and get it reduced.

Emporia is a know speed trap, btw.

I'm not a lawyer.

NC will suspend your license. Get a lawyer and get it reduced.

Emporia is a know speed trap, btw.

I'm not a lawyer.

In all likelihood, he is probably already driving on a NC suspended license with the new reciprocity laws that went into effect earlier this year.

He definitely needs one if not two lawyers immediately.

Got a speeding ticket in Emporia, VA a couple of weeks ago. 77 in a 60. I live in NC and have heard that I can just pay the ticket without it effecting my insurance or adding points to my license since it happened out of state. Is this correct?

No. If you get an out of state more than 15 over then NC will usually suspend your license.

A local lawyer should be able to get it reduced, maybe even to a non-moving violation. So get one! Will probably cost more than the speeding ticket, but no points and no moving violation to report to your insurance company.

This is common in rural Virginia. And yes, I would classify the Emporia area as rural.

Back