• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Thanksgiving dish

Not a big fan of sweet potatoes. Txgiving prolly only time I make them. I go fresh squeezed OJ/brandy/heavy cream in mine.

Inject and then smoke a turkey on the BGE.

Best part of our txgiving is the dressing. We use an old creole cornbread/andouille dressing recipe. My lil bro lives in the FQ so he brings traditional heavy pecan smoked andouille from Cochon Butcher. That's the stuff.

Stuffing. That's the only thing I care about.

i'm with dot com

+1

I love pretty much all Thanksgiving dishes from the turkey to the potatoes to the other sides, but stuffing is the best. Mostly because Thanksgiving is really the only time we have it.

This week we actually made a crockpot recipe with chicken breast, stuffing, and green beans that tasted like a big ole mashup of Thanksgiving. Was pretty awesome.

In terms of sweet potatoes, I much prefer savory over sweet, so never really got into the casseroles with tons of sugar and/or marshmallows on top. I like mashed sweet potatoes with salt and maybe a little cumin or cayenne.

Not a big fan of sweet potatoes. Txgiving prolly only time I make them. I go fresh squeezed OJ/brandy/heavy cream in mine.

Inject and then smoke a turkey on the BGE.

Best part of our txgiving is the dressing. We use an old creole cornbread/andouille dressing recipe. My lil bro lives in the FQ so he brings traditional heavy pecan smoked andouille from Cochon Butcher. That's the stuff.

You probably have family recipes, but what's the best #source for creole food for the rest of us? Online or cookbook.

smoked turkey, greens simmered with a million hamhocks, oyster stuffing, chocolate pecan pie

Not a huge turkey fan, but I do like dark meat turkey, stuffing and gravy together once a year. We're probably going to have to do a turkey this year, but I'm planning my big contribution to be grilled jerk chicken.

the actual stuffing from inside the bird (as opposed to the extra that gets made so there's enough for everyone), i think.
i'm really a fan of all of it, though - get a bite that includes turkey, potatoes, gravy, stuffing, beans, and cranberry relish.

You probably have family recipes, but what's the best #source for creole food for the rest of us? Online or cookbook.

I only spent 4ish years in the swamp for HS, so I don't exactly have roots down there.

However, I spent enough time with the Breauxs and Boudreauxs to know that John Folse is creole jesus and this is his bible. Have worn out this thing over the last decade or so.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine/dp/0970445717

51aeIbcYrnL.jpg

Now that both of my paternal grandparents are deceased my dad has become the de facto patriarch of the family and, in an effort to keep the family united, we are all renting condos and doing a hotel buffet. I'm skeptical and it's possible I'll do my own cooking that weekend.

My Mom trys to talk us into this every year. We did it once and although it was nice to not have any cleanup it didn't feel like Thanksgiving. Hope it works for your family.

We've done it twice in the past and I'm not a big fan. I'm thinking next year maybe I'll host my immediate family.

Just take on the cooking duties. My parents are awful cooks. At some point when I was in college my bro and I just told them that they were done, go sit on the couch, we are doing the cooking from here on out.

For those of you that don't like the cranberry sauce you have to try it from scratch and not the canned stuff. Here is a simple recipe that is pretty much how we do it. It's delicious. I use the juice of the orange that I zest instead of water and also add some lemon juice. This is nothing like the canned stuff.

Empty a 12-ounce bag of fresh or frozen cranberries into a saucepan and transfer 1/2 cup to a small bowl. Add 1 cup sugar, 1 strip orange or lemon zest and 2 tablespoons water to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries are soft, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the cranberries burst, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the reserved cranberries. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste and cool to room temperature before serving.

I love the canned stuff. Where's the unpopular opinions thread?

I love the canned stuff. Where's the unpopular opinions thread?

I like the canned stuff too. And I like homemade. I'm an equal opportunity cranberry saucer.

When I was younger we'd always go to my dad's parents' for Thanksgiving, but maybe 10 or so years ago they moved to a retirement community. Since then, when we go to that side of the family for Thanksgiving, we do the buffet lunch at the retirement home in the main dining room. At first I was down on not being at a home, but it really isn't so bad. We don't have to cook and clean or squabble about chaos in the kitchen, and still got some pretty decent food (and maybe more options for lunch and dessert than if we had cooked ourselves).

Thanks!

Thanks 2 my mom for lovin’ me so strong and frontin’ us the ESPN.
Thanks too 2 granny for whackin me on the fanny and extracting me from the trouble I was in.

Without the strong powerful women in my life, walking me on a line sharper than a knife, I never would have gotten into Wake.
So now I must give thanks and thanks I must say, and I say it every day, please don’t let it fade away, because I mean it more and more each day.

Thank you mama, thank you granny, where oh where would I be without Wake Forest?
I’d be living round the corner.
Debt free.

My mom makes an awesome stuffing. That's my favorite, followed by green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole, and then pumpkin pie.

For those of you that don't like the cranberry sauce you have to try it from scratch and not the canned stuff. Here is a simple recipe that is pretty much how we do it. It's delicious. I use the juice of the orange that I zest instead of water and also add some lemon juice. This is nothing like the canned stuff.

Empty a 12-ounce bag of fresh or frozen cranberries into a saucepan and transfer 1/2 cup to a small bowl. Add 1 cup sugar, 1 strip orange or lemon zest and 2 tablespoons water to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries are soft, about 10 minutes. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the cranberries burst, about 12 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the reserved cranberries. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste and cool to room temperature before serving.

i've made this before, but also added in a diced granny smith apple. it's a game changer - makes it more of a relish than a sauce, though.

BBQ Pork shoulder, BBQ Turkey, hushpuppies, sweet corn, with Apple Pie after all from Fuzzies BBQ. Ok not a big deal when I was growing up but since I left NC, my parents started doing this and it's great.

And the Mtn fried on the way home. Even if I'm the only one that eats it.

Back